Help Fitting Western Saddle!
   

       The Horse Forum > Riding Horses > Western Riding

Help Fitting Western Saddle!

This is a discussion on Help Fitting Western Saddle! within the Western Riding forums, part of the Riding Horses category
  • Fitting western saddle
  • Western saddle too wide?

Like Tree1Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    04-18-2012, 06:50 PM
  #1
Showing
Help Fitting Western Saddle!

Sorry if this is in the right place.. don't venture in here often!

Alright I have very little sense when it comes to anything Western. Long story short one of the ladies wants to ride in a western saddle and she has tried this saddle on my horse.

My own observations, with smrobs' help, is that it seems a little too narrow.

Now reading QHRider's thread yesterday about back cinches and rigging (thanks Cowchick!) it just seems all wrong. But it's the only western saddle at the barn and it doesn't seem too terrible a fit but definitely not something long term.

Here are the pictures: (she's going to try to find another saddle to compare fit to.) First part is without pad, second is with, single pic is yesterday being lunged in it, and last is his back (which desperately needs build up to his topline still...!)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 041812181047.jpg (56.4 KB, 151 views)
File Type: jpg 041812181110.jpg (54.9 KB, 146 views)
File Type: jpg 041812182126.jpg (58.6 KB, 144 views)
File Type: jpg 041812182211.jpg (62.1 KB, 160 views)
File Type: jpg 041812182254.jpg (50.7 KB, 139 views)
File Type: jpg 041812182320.jpg (59.7 KB, 141 views)
File Type: jpg 041812182408.jpg (70.6 KB, 145 views)
File Type: jpg 041712182630.jpg (54.2 KB, 141 views)
File Type: jpg 041812180742.jpg (49.7 KB, 143 views)
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    04-18-2012, 07:00 PM
  #2
Trained
Too me, the bars look too wide. The rest I can't tell from the pictures. Sorry, wish I could help you more.
     
    04-18-2012, 07:00 PM
  #3
Showing
Quote:
Originally Posted by waresbear    
Too me, the bars look too wide. The rest I can't tell from the pictures. Sorry, wish I could help you more.
That's alright, you know better than I do haha!

Thanks
     
    04-18-2012, 07:08 PM
  #4
Weanling
To find out if the saddle fits your horse, put a white piece of bed sheet and put it under the saddle, tighten up the saddle and let your horse walk, trot and canter in it, both ways if possible (it is ok if nobody is riding). After that check out the pressure spots the saddle left on the sheet, if they are the same on both sides on all points the saddle puts pressure on than you have at least an idea how good the saddle fits..... hope that makes sense????
     
    04-18-2012, 07:10 PM
  #5
Trained
^^^^That is an excellent idea! Guess the dirtiest, dustier the horse, the easier it is tell?
     
    04-18-2012, 07:10 PM
  #6
Showing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Horselover    
To find out if the saddle fits your horse, put a white piece of bed sheet and put it under the saddle, tighten up the saddle and let your horse walk, trot and canter in it, both ways if possible (it is ok if nobody is riding). After that check out the pressure spots the saddle left on the sheet, if they are the same on both sides on all points the saddle puts pressure on than you have at least an idea how good the saddle fits..... hope that makes sense????
Wow.. that's a very exciting way to test saddle fit! Great for desensitizing too Thanks! I will definitely keep that in mind for the future.

Though I'm in Kiwiland and the lady and my horse are in the states.. so it makes things so much more complicated. Had I know well in advanced I would have had a saddle fitter meet them there..

Can you see anything that screams "omg get that off of the horse" ?

EDIT: Would a cooler work??? I have one of those really big ones that has a loop of the tail, loop for the ears. And with the pad too, or without?
     
    04-18-2012, 07:17 PM
  #7
Weanling
Oh I am happy that I can help :0) Have to agree with waresbear, think the bar is a little bit too wide but other than that it looks pretty good to me although I can not really tell from the pics. Oh and yes, as dirtier the horse is as better you will see the pressure spots (yeah I know never saddle up a dirty horse) but as there is no real weight other than the saddle on the horse it should be fine for a few minutes... Do not use the pad with it, and it is the best if it is really thin and white material (the sheet) - I am not sure what you have there but just give it a try should work :0) Let me know how it goes!!!!!! Cheers
     
    04-18-2012, 07:19 PM
  #8
Showing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Horselover    
Oh I am happy that I can help :0) Have to agree with waresbear, think the bar is a little bit too wide but other than that it looks pretty good to me although I can not really tell from the pics. Oh and yes, as dirtier the horse is as better you will see the pressure spots (yeah I know never saddle up a dirty horse) but as there is no real weight other than the saddle on the horse it should be fine for a few minutes... Do not use the pad with it, and it is the best if it is really thin and white material (the sheet) - I am not sure what you have there but just give it a try should work :0) Let me know how it goes!!!!!! Cheers
Okay I passed the info along to her.. I think she's going to find it absolutely hilarious or think that I'm crazy!
     
    04-18-2012, 07:30 PM
  #9
Weanling
I know, people think I am crazy when I tell them but it works and that is the most important!!!! Sometimes it is just that easy... LOL
     
    04-18-2012, 07:47 PM
  #10
Showing
More pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg muchbetta.jpg (54.9 KB, 134 views)
File Type: jpg better.jpg (58.1 KB, 129 views)
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fitting a western saddle. Suggestions? riccil0ve Horse Tack and Equipment 3 01-14-2011 09:19 PM
Need help fitting a western saddle please Rachel1786 Horse Tack and Equipment 7 01-09-2011 03:16 PM
Western Saddle Fitting Equus_girl Horse Tack and Equipment 7 03-11-2010 07:09 PM
fitting western saddle dreamrideredc Western Riding 5 05-27-2009 07:45 PM
western saddle fitting question SonnyWimps Horse Tack and Equipment 5 04-01-2008 07:21 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0