Hidden Training
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Riding Horses > Western Riding

Hidden Training

This is a discussion on Hidden Training within the Western Riding forums, part of the Riding Horses category

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        09-06-2010, 06:59 AM
      #1
    Green Broke
    Hidden Training

    Well Buzz has apparently been trained to do sliding stops, which I can actually believe because he did a really good one refusing a jump once :roll:
    But my question is what is the actually aid for doing it or is it just sitting back in the saddle and pull on the reins like for a normal stop, when I say pull I don't mean yank his face off but put pressure like normal... if that makes sense.

    Also neck reining, I'm thinking maybe Buzz was orginal taught how to do this, how does it work? Or would it be to confusing for him for me to start doing neck reining but as well as direct contact, should I just stick with direct?

    Thanks in advance :)
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        09-06-2010, 07:30 AM
      #2
    Trained
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RedTree    
    Also neck reining, I'm thinking maybe Buzz was orginal taught how to do this, how does it work? Or would it be to confusing for him for me to start doing neck reining but as well as direct contact, should I just stick with direct?
    With neck reining, the horse performs the turn cued by the feel of the rein on the neck, I.e. Will turn to (re)center itself between the reins. For example, if you shift the reins to the left so the right rein touchs the right side of the neck, the horse will turn left.
    A horse that neck reins will not be confused by mixing direct and neck reining, but in my experience, an experienced, light mouthed horse that neck reins well will definitely prefer a nice loose rein, neck reining, and leg cues over contact/direct reining. If I were a horse, I think I'd prefer the rider staying out of my mouth, too.
         
        09-06-2010, 07:41 AM
      #3
    Green Broke
    Thanks Buzz does usually prefer a lose rein I think I will try it next time :)
         
        09-06-2010, 08:14 AM
      #4
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaintHorseMares    
    A horse that neck reins will not be confused by mixing direct and neck reining, but in my experience, an experienced, light mouthed horse that neck reins well will definitely prefer a nice loose rein, neck reining, and leg cues over contact/direct reining. If I were a horse, I think I'd prefer the rider staying out of my mouth, too.
    You know I always found the part about a horse that neck reins preferring neck reining over direct reining to be true in every horse I've ever ridden except for my own boy, Cope. He was two when I got him and the only thing he knew was saddling, mounting, direct reining, and almost no leg cues. He's 15 now and I've learned almost everything I know about riding from training him. He's funny though...in that although he neck reins very well...I think he prefers a direct rein when I ride him. Although when my husband rides him he does prefer neck reining. Do you think soft hands vs. heavy hands could have something to do with that? I've never really thought about it, but I have always been told that I ride with very soft hands.
         
        09-06-2010, 09:03 AM
      #5
    Trained
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by orangetictac    
    Do you think soft hands vs. heavy hands could have something to do with that? I've never really thought about it, but I have always been told that I ride with very soft hands.
    Most likely. In my experience, a horse that is very light in the mouth will fuss with direct contact and a heavy handed rider regardless of the bit used. Our experienced, seasoned lead mare that I always ride on a loose rein will ride fine with good hands and light contact, but will toss her head if someone heavy handed gets in her mouth (one rider actually called her a bad horse for doing this).
         
        09-06-2010, 09:17 AM
      #6
    Foal
    Yeah. My husband's been known to get quite frustrated with Cope. I can't wait until I know our knew mare well enough to let him ride her. She'll be less forgiving and he will learn a lot about riding with her.
    Posted via Mobile Device
         

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    What pets have you hidden from your parents? travlingypsy Other Pets 28 03-08-2009 12:02 PM
    Being hidden on the forums. Gingerrrrr General Off Topic Discussion 22 07-15-2008 01:33 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:33 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0