How do I look?
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Riding Horses > Western Riding

How do I look?

This is a discussion on How do I look? within the Western Riding forums, part of the Riding Horses category
  • How Do Horses Look

Like Tree3Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    01-02-2013, 08:57 PM
  #1
Weanling
How do I look?

This is a picture from the Fall Advanced Camp my barn had. How do I look ridingwise? Is my position good? Please excuse my face, I was being silly XD And also please excuse the horse's headset, she normally never carries it low like that, I don't know why she had her head that low.
Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 601442_409059049165436_585494738_n.jpg (66.0 KB, 154 views)
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    01-02-2013, 09:00 PM
  #2
Banned
I think the horses head is right where it should be while it's relaxed and not beng asked to do much......as for you it's really hard to tell with the pic because you're not actively doing something.....except being silly!
themacpack and amberly like this.
     
    01-02-2013, 09:03 PM
  #3
Weanling
Well, depending on what you are trying to do, your positiin could be okay, or not so good.

First of all, great job with heels down! To get a really secure seat, bring your feet way back. They need to be under you, not in front. You will be behind the horse with all its movements, and honestly you are probably driving the horse from behind (unintentionally) too much. This could be painful or at least upsetting for your horse.

You look like you're having great fun, and everything else looks great! Moving your legs back to be lined up (ear-shoulder-hip-heel) will really benefit you!

Cute horse, and cute boots! :)
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    01-02-2013, 09:04 PM
  #4
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muppetgirl    
I think the horses head is right where it should be while it's relaxed and not beng asked to do much......as for you it's really hard to tell with the pic because you're not actively doing something.....except being silly!
Haha! That horse is just the horse I ride for lessons; I don't actually have my own horse, but she is like my baby :)

She is a sweet horse (and an OTTB!) but when she's on her 'mare cycle', she can be a total you-know-what :)
     
    01-02-2013, 09:07 PM
  #5
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunSlideStop    
Well, depending on what you are trying to do, your positiin could be okay, or not so good.

First of all, great job with heels down! To get a really secure seat, bring your feet way back. They need to be under you, not in front. You will be behind the horse with all its movements, and honestly you are probably driving the horse from behind (unintentionally) too much. This could be painful or at least upsetting for your horse.

You look like you're having great fun, and everything else looks great! Moving your legs back to be lined up (ear-shoulder-hip-heel) will really benefit you!

Cute horse, and cute boots! :)
Posted via Mobile Device

Thank you! I will try to work on bringing my leg back when I go to ride again (hopefully this weekend), but I will be riding in my new dressage saddle, so it may be different :)
Thanks, they are very comfortable boots!
     
    01-02-2013, 09:13 PM
  #6
Weanling
The dressage saddle should help a lot. It has a deeper seat but you will quickly notice how unbalanced you feel with your feet like the picture above. It is a lot easier to bring your leg back in an english saddle in my opinion. Sometimes fenders are too big and you are kind of stuck in a chair seat.

Looking forward to new pics!
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    01-02-2013, 09:15 PM
  #7
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunSlideStop    
The dressage saddle should help a lot. It has a deeper seat but you will quickly notice how unbalanced you feel with your feet like the picture above. It is a lot easier to bring your leg back in an english saddle in my opinion. Sometimes fenders are too big and you are kind of stuck in a chair seat.

Looking forward to new pics!
Posted via Mobile Device
I had tried bringing my leg back a few times, but it felt like I was fighting the saddle and pulling the fenders back.
     
    01-02-2013, 09:41 PM
  #8
Weanling
I have that problem with my roping saddle. It is just a pain, and really meant to put me back on my pockets I think. Try just letting your feet sit in the stirrups, knees slightly bent. Don't push your heels down and forward, just try to sink your weight into your heels as if your foot is on a pivot at the ball of your foot. Right now you are pivoting at your knee, like your leg only moves as one piece from the knee down as opposed to having your ankles flex while your knee stays put

Hopefully that makes sense Try to just relax. Sit on your seat bones rather than your pockets. If you put your hands under your bum you will feel your seat bones, so you can make sure you are sitting on them rather than rolling your pelvis as if you are sitting in a car seat or something. Does that make sense? :s
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    01-02-2013, 09:47 PM
  #9
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunSlideStop    
I have that problem with my roping saddle. It is just a pain, and really meant to put me back on my pockets I think. Try just letting your feet sit in the stirrups, knees slightly bent. Don't push your heels down and forward, just try to sink your weight into your heels as if your foot is on a pivot at the ball of your foot. Right now you are pivoting at your knee, like your leg only moves as one piece from the knee down as opposed to having your ankles flex while your knee stays put

Hopefully that makes sense Try to just relax. Sit on your seat bones rather than your pockets. If you put your hands under your bum you will feel your seat bones, so you can make sure you are sitting on them rather than rolling your pelvis as if you are sitting in a car seat or something. Does that make sense? :s
Posted via Mobile Device

Yup, it does, thanks! I think one of the origin of the problem is that my instructor, when I first came to the barn from doing English, told us to sit on our pockets...I find that I don't brace with my leg, but when I relax my heels are down....muscle memory I guess
     
    01-02-2013, 10:00 PM
  #10
Cat
Green Broke
No matter what you look like you are having fun!
     

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0