Posting in a Western Saddle
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Riding Horses > Western Riding

Posting in a Western Saddle

This is a discussion on Posting in a Western Saddle within the Western Riding forums, part of the Riding Horses category
  • Posting western
  • Posting on western saddle

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    07-10-2008, 07:44 PM
  #1
Green Broke
Posting in a Western Saddle

I've been taking riding lessons for a while now, it's been great fun! My last lesson went wonderfully, we are working on the trot. My trainer and I talked about posting in a western saddle. Granted, it's not something that you would do out on the trail or in the show ring, but the only reason we're talking about it is because I want to eventually start riding English, and then do some dressage. The reason I am starting out in a western saddle is so I can gain some confidence in myself, and learn how to balance and so on.

So, my question is, what are the fundamentals of being able to post in a western saddle?
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    07-10-2008, 09:11 PM
  #2
Showing
Re: Posting in a Western Saddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxie

So, my question is, what are the fundamentals of being able to post in a western saddle?
To post correctly you need balance and to be in rhythm with your horse. Better to watch someone do it correctly and then to practice.

(BTW, on a rough horse, and even on the trail, cowboys either post, two point, or slow their horse down.)
     
    07-10-2008, 11:27 PM
  #3
Green Broke
Thanks.
     
    07-11-2008, 06:29 AM
  #4
Showing
Moxie, here is an article I found that may help you. It talks about posting English but there is no difference Western: http://horses.about.com/od/learntori...ostthetrot.htm
     
    07-11-2008, 07:32 AM
  #5
Started
I post in my western saddle all of the time... even though she is a western horse I like to long trot her to help engage her. It is the same concept with using the basic leg muscles but you will feel a lot more secure... have fun and good luck!!!
     
    07-11-2008, 07:47 AM
  #6
Yearling
Re: Posting in a Western Saddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxie
My trainer and I talked about posting in a western saddle. Granted, it's not something that you would do out on the trail or in the show ring
I post most of the time when on trail in a western saddle. It makes for a much more comfortable ride when you are trotting along at a swift pace. :)
     
    07-11-2008, 10:18 AM
  #7
Green Broke
Hehehehe. Alright, so I kind of put my foot in my mouth with saying that you wouldn't post in a western saddle on a tail and so on. Mind you that I am new to riding.

Ok, so where I am confused is that my trainer says that posting is pretty much standing in the stirrups, and then letting the horses memento push you upward. I'll be doing more practice on this on Monday and so on.
     
    07-11-2008, 11:27 AM
  #8
Started
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxie
hehehehe. Alright, so I kind of put my foot in my mouth with saying that you wouldn't post in a western saddle on a tail and so on. Mind you that I am new to riding.

Ok, so where I am confused is that my trainer says that posting is pretty much standing in the stirrups, and then letting the horses memento push you upward. I'll be doing more practice on this on Monday and so on.
As you gain muscling in you legs and with practice you will be able to do it without a stirrup. You will be a sore one once you get there :). When I rode english equitation more and showed it we were called in some pattern classes to drop our irons for the pattern. The judge can really tell who really practiced!!!! But im sure you wont be expected to do that for a long while.
     
    07-11-2008, 03:08 PM
  #9
Showing
It can feel weird posting in a Western saddle, lol. But it is good practice!
     
    07-11-2008, 04:07 PM
  #10
Foal
There's nothing wrong with posting in a western saddle. Much easier on you and your horse!
     

Thread Tools



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0