proper western posture - Page 5 - The Horse Forum
 157Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 124 Old 02-19-2013, 12:06 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Southwest Virginia
Posts: 1,440
• Horses: 0
I need to get hubby out there to take pictures of me when I am actually out working or training verses my trail riding pictures. Almost every single picture I have of me are when we are stopped on the trail to eat a snack or let somebody use the bathroom or something. I don't have any of me actually moving or working with a horse on something.
clippityclop likes this.

Shorty * N * Opie
toosexy4myspotz is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #42 of 124 Old 02-19-2013, 12:10 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 3,244
• Horses: 0
bsms, you keep referencing to pictures almost a hundred years old. Things change as research has been done to show a riders position effects their horse. If you watch the video I posted you will understand how HARMFUL it is to the horses BACK to ride with your leg pitched forward.
GotaDunQH likes this.

BB ~ 2014 Trakehner Bratty Mare ~ 1993 CSHA Em ~ 2007 Standardbred
NBEventer is offline  
post #43 of 124 Old 02-19-2013, 12:16 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Middle of Nowhere, Saskatchewan
Posts: 2,570
• Horses: 5
Those old cowboys didnt care about riding properly. Ever. They cared about their paycheck at the end of the day and did what they had to do to stay on that horse to get to the end of the day.

"all I ever dreamt about was makin' it; they ain't giving it, I'm taking it"
QHriderKE is offline  
post #44 of 124 Old 02-19-2013, 12:40 PM
Foal
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 172
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by NBEventer View Post
bsms, you keep referencing to pictures almost a hundred years old. Things change as research has been done to show a riders position effects their horse. If you watch the video I posted you will understand how HARMFUL it is to the horses BACK to ride with your leg pitched forward.
Besides, some cowboys rode better than others. Just because a picture is 100 years old and the rider is a cowboy doesn't mean that cowboy was regarded as a riding master. And I bet not all cavalry officers were good riders, either.

What do the texts from the cavalry riding schools of that era say? What did Xenophon say? These were recognized master of those eras.
onuilmar is offline  
post #45 of 124 Old 02-19-2013, 12:45 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Saskatchewan
Posts: 12,032
• Horses: 2
Best advice I was given, I think, was that whatever sort of riding you are doing your basic seat should be such that if you made the horse disappear you would land standing on the ground.

Of course it changes if you are jumping, or working a cow maybe, different times you would take a different position.

I agree with the thought that the pics of yesteryear add nothing to the debate, apart from to show how things have moved on.

Fox hunting anyone?







Then we discovered the forward seat for jumping




Doesn't always work though!

Golden Horse is online now  
post #46 of 124 Old 02-19-2013, 12:50 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Southwest Virginia
Posts: 1,440
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Horse View Post
Best advice I was given, I think, was that whatever sort of riding you are doing your basic seat should be such that if you made the horse disappear you would land standing on the ground.

Of course it changes if you are jumping, or working a cow maybe, different times you would take a different position.

I agree with the thought that the pics of yesteryear add nothing to the debate, apart from to show how things have moved on.

Fox hunting anyone?







Then we discovered the forward seat for jumping




Doesn't always work though!

Technically in the last picture their shoulder/hip/heel is still aligned just not in a sittin up position.

Shorty * N * Opie
toosexy4myspotz is offline  
post #47 of 124 Old 02-19-2013, 12:54 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 3,244
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by toosexy4myspotz View Post
Technically in the last picture their shoulder/hip/heel is still aligned just not in a sittin up position.
Correct. There are times when your position will change. When I am doing a drop fence, I lean back. Why? Because I don't want all my weight on my horses front end when we land that drop, especially if the landing of that drop still has me going down hill. Its the same as when you are going up hill. You go into a half seat going up hill to help shift the weight, but my leg does not move. Sometimes doing a drop your leg will slide forward, it happens, no one is perfect.

But the rule of thumb is when you are riding flat your shoulder, hip, heel need to align.

BB ~ 2014 Trakehner Bratty Mare ~ 1993 CSHA Em ~ 2007 Standardbred
NBEventer is offline  
post #48 of 124 Old 02-19-2013, 12:55 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 21,169
• Horses: 7
BSMS you are almost comparing apples to oranges when you bring up photos of cowboys.

You see, a barrel racer would not have the same seat as a WP rider because what the 2 riders are asking of their horses is different. A reiner won't look exactly like a horsemanship rider but more like a cutting horse rider...

If you look back at MHF's photo, her seat position is different because she is riding a working ranch horse. The needs and the movements are different.

It would be the same if you compared a hunter jumper rider with a hunter equitation rider. Those guys that are jumping 6 and 7 feet don't look nearly as pretty as the ones in the medals classes because the goal is different. (although Beezie Madden always seems to look perfect)....

So... the perfect seat in one discipline, isn't the perfect seat in another but the concept is still the same. Seat position really is key....
GotaDunQH and NBEventer like this.

"Be a best friend, tell the truth, and overuse I love you
Go to work, do your best, don't outsmart your common sense
Never let your prayin knees get lazy
And love like crazy"
farmpony84 is offline  
post #49 of 124 Old 02-19-2013, 01:03 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 3,244
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmpony84 View Post
BSMS you are almost comparing apples to oranges when you bring up photos of cowboys.

You see, a barrel racer would not have the same seat as a WP rider because what the 2 riders are asking of their horses is different. A reiner won't look exactly like a horsemanship rider but more like a cutting horse rider...

If you look back at MHF's photo, her seat position is different because she is riding a working ranch horse. The needs and the movements are different.

It would be the same if you compared a hunter jumper rider with a hunter equitation rider. Those guys that are jumping 6 and 7 feet don't look nearly as pretty as the ones in the medals classes because the goal is different. (although Beezie Madden always seems to look perfect)....

So... the perfect seat in one discipline, isn't the perfect seat in another but the concept is still the same. Seat position really is key....
I hate her for this very reason lol. I wish I had a beautiful seat like Beezie. She is seriously my idol in jumper land.

Karen O'Conner always seems to look pretty darn awesome too. She is my eventing idol.
farmpony84 likes this.

BB ~ 2014 Trakehner Bratty Mare ~ 1993 CSHA Em ~ 2007 Standardbred
NBEventer is offline  
post #50 of 124 Old 02-19-2013, 01:09 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 21,169
• Horses: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by NBEventer View Post
I hate her for this very reason lol. I wish I had a beautiful seat like Beezie. She is seriously my idol in jumper land.

Karen O'Conner always seems to look pretty darn awesome too. She is my eventing idol.
I really hope she heals enough to show professionally again... :(

"Be a best friend, tell the truth, and overuse I love you
Go to work, do your best, don't outsmart your common sense
Never let your prayin knees get lazy
And love like crazy"
farmpony84 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bad...bad posture.. :S Dreamcatcher5 Horse Riding Critique 4 01-25-2013 04:29 AM
Is it just really bad posture? VT Trail Trotters General Off Topic Discussion 13 04-26-2012 09:12 PM
what is the proper way to measure your horse for a western saddle? allisonjoy Horse Tack and Equipment 2 11-11-2011 09:34 AM
My Posture Pidge Horse Riding Critique 5 08-09-2011 10:04 AM
Proper Bareback Posture Tyler Horse Riding 15 04-03-2010 06:20 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome