I would usually do mainly flatwork, and compete in local hack shows, some ASH stuff etc etc..
Then last year I noticed the western ring and the trial type stuff that was going on, and it seemed kind of fun. A friend who usually rides mainly in ASH stuff took her horse into some of these classes and did quite well for a first time. Got me thinking I should maybe have a go, flatwork has never been my strong point anyway. Im thinking of maybe entering in something similar for the next local show (feb)..and I have a few questions:
1) its only a very small local show, do I have to dress up in those..sparkly western show type stuff? Or can I wear jodhpurs and a collared shirt? Jeans would maybe be a bit too informal?
2) I don't have a western saddle!! Do I NEED one or can I use an australian stock saddle?
2) I have a program, and have NO IDEA what these classes mean! What do they involve?
- junior/senior horse western pleasure.
- youth western pleasure and beginer improver western pleasure.
- Youth Western Horsemanship, Amateur Western Horsemanship, Beginner Improver Western horsemanship.
- Junior Horse Trail, Senior Horse Trail, Youth Trail, Amateur Trail, Beginner Improver Trail. (im thinking trail may be more my thing as I've never done any western.)
Ive been teaching my horse to neck rein just for the convenience. He also walks over poles, walks fowards and backward though an L shape made with poles etc if that helps....
Yeah, am I getting in a bit over my head? What do you think?