starting out. .
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Riding Horses > Western Riding

starting out. .

This is a discussion on starting out. . within the Western Riding forums, part of the Riding Horses category

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        12-08-2009, 07:07 PM
      #1
    Foal
    starting out. .

    Im going to start doing western and I was wondering what the judges look for in western. .

    Im proberly going to do reining and pleasure , maybe trail (depends on how craig adapts to it)

    I have ridden western before and can ride it but never have competed in it.

    And also what do I have to wear for dress, and on the horse what is acceptable and what isnt?

    I have the basic horse stuff, and I will have to horses that im competing,
    A appaloosa mare and a chestnut gelding (built like a QH)

    Are you allowed to compete in bosals? As my appy goes better in them and doesn't argue like she does is bits and I if I have to wear a bit are plain english snafles accepted?

    Thanks for the help , any information appreciated (lots ot questions I know!)
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        12-08-2009, 07:10 PM
      #2
    Green Broke
    At what level do you plan on competing? Like just locally or more seriously?

    Are you going to do any breed organization shows? Are your horses registered?( If so you can go on the breeds registry sight and get more info about proper attire and equipment while showing)
         
        12-08-2009, 08:09 PM
      #3
    Trained
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ditzydoo    
    im going to start doing western and I was wondering what the judges look for in western. .
    Depends on what you are showing in. Just like English events H/J, HUS and such it will be different. Some will be on the horse and some will be on you.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ditzydoo    
    im proberly going to do reining and pleasure , maybe trail (depends on how craig adapts to it)
    These are 2 very different events. If you are looking at a local show it will not matter quite as much but the way the horse moves and what is asked of the horse is quite different.

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ditzydoo    

    And also what do I have to wear for dress, and on the horse what is acceptable and what isnt?

    I have the basic horse stuff, and I will have to horses that im competing,
    A appaloosa mare and a chestnut gelding (built like a QH)
    Local shows just a nice pair of paints, long sleeve shirt, hat and cowboy boots.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ditzydoo    
    are you allowed to compete in bosals? As my appy goes better in them and doesn't argue like she does is bits and I if I have to wear a bit are plain english snafles accepted?
    NO not even in local shows if the horse is 5 or over they need to be in a shanked bit. No bosals or snaffles allowed in western events. Past that each association has their own rules as to what is and is not perceptible.
         
        12-08-2009, 09:42 PM
      #4
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Honeysuga    
    At what level do you plan on competing? Like just locally or more seriously?

    Are you going to do any breed organization shows? Are your horses registered?( If so you can go on the breeds registry sight and get more info about proper attire and equipment while showing)

    Im going to join the local western riding club, my mum used to be a member , so we're both going to join as its much more fun than pony club (so over that I think 11 years of PC is enough!)

    So im just going to do local western shows in between eventing and showjumping just for something fun , as SJ is very serious for us and the eventing and western is going to be the fun stuff.

    Niether of my horses are reg. I have no idea what breed what craig is so can reg. Him with breed assc. And tally is a full appy but all her parents reg. Papers were lost so she is unable to be reg.
         
        12-08-2009, 09:53 PM
      #5
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nrhareiner    
    Depends on what you are showing in. Just like English events H/J, HUS and such it will be different. Some will be on the horse and some will be on you.

    These are 2 very different events. If you are looking at a local show it will not matter quite as much but the way the horse moves and what is asked of the horse is quite different.



    Local shows just a nice pair of paints, long sleeve shirt, hat and cowboy boots.


    NO not even in local shows if the horse is 5 or over they need to be in a shanked bit. No bosals or snaffles allowed in western events. Past that each association has their own rules as to what is and is not perceptible.

    Thanks for all the help =]
    does it at all matter if the horses doesn't move straight,?
    , as my horse dishes very very badly,
         
        12-08-2009, 10:22 PM
      #6
    Green Broke
    Dishes? What do you mean?

    And yeah, for a local show you just want to make sure your horse has good manners, listens and responds properly to cues, ect.
    Clothing wise depending on how serious the local showing is in your area anything from clean pressed jeans, a nice fitted western shirt, clean steamed hat, appropriate boots and chaps will work for your basics. Smith Brothers has some nice western wear and you can get Ideas for how to coordinate and everything else form their models...

    Is either horse trained in reining or wp? Do you have any experience riding reining or wp?
         
        12-08-2009, 10:32 PM
      #7
    Foal
    Dishes as when he trots his front feet swing out wards , he doesnt move staight at all. .

    Craig 's mainly trained english, so im going to have to re-train him to do western , he knows the basics for WP, but not all of it , he doesnt lope at all well, so going to have to work on that ,
    And he isnt at all trained in reining, he can do sliding halt and that's about it, so im going to have to do a lot of schooling to get him up to standard .


    Tally can do pleausre and reining as she's trained for both , and was broken in western and taught all of it when she was young , so it will basically be re-schooling to remind her and that's about it for her.

    It wont be overly serious, as its just a bit of fun for the both of us, just something extra to do, and i've always wanted to try and get into a bit of western just never had the opptunity, in the area I lived but im moving in a couple of days , into a area that holds western shows.
         
        12-08-2009, 10:41 PM
      #8
    Green Broke
    Ahh, gotcha so he paddles, that's how I always referred to it anyway...

    Well my advice is just to work work work, you know what their flaws are. Good luck! And have fun!
         
        12-08-2009, 10:43 PM
      #9
    Foal
    I myslef haven't got much experience in either , i've never competed or gotten into it seriously but my mum did western sow quite competively a couple of years ago so she's going to teach me most of what I need to know

    What do you think craig would suit:
    For his build wise anyway
    Heres him , with his english gear, (havent got him into the western saddle latly , its at the new house)



    Will have to get more once , we've moved and im handy to his western gear
         
        12-08-2009, 10:45 PM
      #10
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Honeysuga    
    Ahh, gotcha so he paddles, that's how I always referred to it anyway...

    Well my advice is just to work work work, you know what their flaws are. Good luck! And have fun!

    Ahhh I see,
    Im still getting used to the change of terms . .
    English and western use such different terms and I get confused easily haha
         

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Starting again. HorsesAreForever Jumping 3 09-30-2009 11:33 AM
    Starting English... well, not 'starting' but... Britt English Riding 8 06-27-2009 01:45 PM
    Starting to help out? horseyloon Horse Grooming 7 01-01-2009 01:57 PM
    starting up again....the right way englishcowgrl Horse Training 3 12-10-2007 12:41 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:03 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0