Tie downs and such - Page 10
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Riding Horses > Western Riding

Tie downs and such

This is a discussion on Tie downs and such within the Western Riding forums, part of the Riding Horses category
  • How to make your own tie down for horse
  • Make your own horse tiedown tack

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    12-08-2009, 01:22 PM
  #91
Foal
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick101    
The problem is people use Tie downs because they are ignorant in the ACTUAL purpose of the tie down is.
The true reason for a tie down, is for performance horses (ie barrels, roping) need the tie down to brace against when running patterns.

But alot of people don't know this so, figure hey my horse throws its head, he needs a tie down.

Tie downs do have a purpose so its not a bad piece of equioment, its how its used that is the problem
Thank god you said this - I was reading this post and wondered if anyone would say it.
My barrel horse has no head issues, you could run her in a snaffle with nothing else, but when I want her to run good I do put a tie down on her to help her balance. This way when they're rating they have something to push against to slow down and turn around the barrel. When some horses go so fast it is hard for them to rate themselves off of their own balance, but tie downs really help your horses balance. Most horses, though, it just depends on the horses needs. They all work so differently and need help in different things.
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    12-08-2009, 02:28 PM
  #92
Trained
Personally, I am opposed to tie downs being used for any purpose other than what Maverick is explaining which is the intended purpose of a tie down.

I've ridden arabs and they were naturally high headed, but I didn't ever have a reason to try and change their headset. Yes I rode them in barrels/speed events as well as pleasure riding. I never had a head to head collision with a horse because of their headset.

Ideally, yes a barrel horse will travel with a lifted ribcage, turning over his haunches and using his hind end to propel themselves forward. I see nothing wrong with taking a properly trained horse (Who is worked at home free of gadgets) and giving him a well-adjusted tie down for competition. Same with roping horses. They don't have to use it -- A lot of them don't but it's there, and it's not a crutch.

Unfortunatly, what I do have a problem with (and what I think most of this "debate" is about) is ignorant riders and untrained horses using tie downs because their horse rears, is hollowed out, has no idea how to travel, and is a freight train. For that, the solution is training.
     
    12-08-2009, 04:10 PM
  #93
Foal
Quote:
...And Simon :P He just has it on so he knows it's on. It's on so loose he could get away with anything.
Then why even have one on? Train him not to do it so you don't even need one... The other thing you need to realize with tie downs is that if a horse falls or is scratching and a tie down is too loose, his leg can go right through it and then you have a big mess... stick with the basics... Train your horse, use a saddle, bridle, and reins... That is all you need... If you have a good horse you don't need all this fancy "cover-up" tack...
     
    12-08-2009, 05:11 PM
  #94
Chat Moderator
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinshorses    
With every tiedown or set of training forks they should sell a t-shirt that says "I don't know how to use my hands". It's unfortunate that people get in wrecks caused by the holes they are trying to cover with tiedowns and never realize the problem was caused by them in the first place. There are some team roping horses that benefit from using a tiedown to help them pull harder but for most disipline a tiedown is just a side-effect of poor training and horsemanship.
I am guilty of that, I bought a set martingales over the summer due to the fact. My horse was lifting his head and turning around toward the barn and I didn't know what to do. I rode with it a few times, until I learned what do to to correct this problem. It was a Crutch and I knew it was went I bought it. But it did give me the time to learn what was wrong with my riding.



How about mine? I can ride my pony fine without it - Which seems to debunk the idea that it is used as a crutch or cover up. I use it purely and simply to assist other riders who use him but don't know him like I do - A safety thing for them. He has been checked numerous times for soreness - Had his saddle professionally fitted - Been treated by chiro's and body workers - Had his teeth floated recently - And is very well trained. It is just a habit he has when he is caught unawares by an aid - He is an Arab, it is easy and natural for him to flip his head.[/quote]

Your problem is different than most. And in that case it may have a real use.
     
    12-08-2009, 05:27 PM
  #95
Green Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countrygal892000    
Then why even have one on?
Ask him.
     
    12-08-2009, 05:37 PM
  #96
Green Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeysuga    

Just because I do not sugar coat it or add any extra fluff, people keep getting their panties in a twist thinking I an calling them bad riders, when in fact I am just saying that they need a tie down to ride more happily because of whatever situation.
This sentence makes NO sense to me. Now you're FOR tie-downs?

You must be one of those dipsticks from HC that think "blunt" is the way to go. You weren't being "blunt". You're being condesending; belittleing everyone you disagree with. There's a difference between "blunt" and downright condesending. If this is your idea of "blunt", go look it back up in the dictionary, because you are sadly mistaken.

I know I'm not the only one know's noticed this.

[/snark]
     
    12-08-2009, 05:41 PM
  #97
Started
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny06    
Ask him.
You are not alone! Anytime my old horse wore vienna draw reins, they had to be on at LEAST hole 5. Even on hole 1, he would immediately drop his head and stretch. They had to be tight enough he wouldn't put a leg through them, and they were STILL to loose to actually be doing anything
     
    12-08-2009, 06:58 PM
  #98
Green Broke
1dog3cats17rodents actually, you are 100% correct. After I posted that about the BEING training equipment, Kevin corrected me that they weren't. Being that he is an experienced horseman, I'm going to go with what he says on this.

And what is this the attack Sierra thread now?

Sunny06- No I never said that I am for them now, I was saying that the way I am wording everything I say keeps being taken negatively. I am saying that tie downs have no real use other than to make a rider feel safer or whatever reason(happier, more in control, ect.) when they ride, which is what people keep arguing saying that is not why they use them... But when they do explain why, the reason comes out as exactly what I said, but they still argue it.

And name calling? Really, how old are you? No I am not being condescending one bit, I never told a single person, "You are a bad rider for using a tie down" you need to get off my back already, I have not attacked one person yet for some reason I keep being attacked on here. Where that heck do you come in in this thread anyway just to attack me? You have added nothing to this thread but attitude.
     
    12-08-2009, 07:18 PM
  #99
Weanling
Now, now folks...let try to be civil towards each other.
Kevin, you are often right on several subjects. I agree with you for the most part on this one as well. I'm not an enthusiast of tiedowns, but use one. Not, because I NEED one, but because the horse that I purchased was taught how to run in one. As said before, he will be weaned away from it. Because he runs in one doesnt mean he's unproperly trained.
This is a horse who can go around like a reiner, roll back like a cutter, and collect up like a pleasure horse. He can counter arc at any gait and I can isolate any part of his body. He is, on all counts, a VERY well trained horse. Far better trained than most barrel horses out there.
As far as a tiedown covering the rider's lack of supple hands...well that's not true in all cases either.

So, there are always going to be instances where the "If you use a tiedown, you can't ride properly/have bad hands/have a badly trained horse" mindset.

To those that throw them on to avoid getting hit in the nose... it's a way of avoiding the problem and is plain and simply THE WRONG WAY TO USE THEM. That'll all there is to it.
Because it isnt the purpose...doesnt mean that people will stop using them. People will do what they wish.
So no need to get into an oober heated arguement or start to degrade or insult people that you don't know.

I'll play devil's advocate here.
     
    12-08-2009, 07:45 PM
  #100
Trained
Quote:
To those that throw them on to avoid getting hit in the nose... it's a way of avoiding the problem and is plain and simply THE WRONG WAY TO USE THEM. That'll all there is to it.
I don't use a tiedown for this, but I do use a martingale. Instead of just saying it is wrong and horrible, why not offer a credible way to combat this without using a tiedown/martingale? Kevin is the ONLY person for far that has answered the repeated requests for other options.

I know I don't enjoy putting a martingale on my pony - It would make taking up a bunch less complicated if I didn't! And when I ride him, I don't. But NOT ONE PERSON has goven me ANY credible aid/solution to help stop him occasionally flipping his head with other riders. Please, all of you awesome horsemen who have never needed to employ a martingale, enlighten me! He is the ONLY horse I use one on - Which alone should tell you i'm not a martingale happy rider.

THANK YOU Kevin for actually answering the question that has been asked so many times!

Quote:
This is a horse who can go around like a reiner, roll back like a cutter, and collect up like a pleasure horse. He can counter arc at any gait and I can isolate any part of his body.
My pony who goes in rings can do all the above also - plus a good amount of dressage, jumping, lateral movements etc. He is also a very well trained pony.
     

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Darling Downs show people (Queensland) Miss Katie Horse Shows 0 01-22-2009 05:48 AM
San Luis Rey Downs tour today! danastark Horse Talk 0 07-26-2008 06:54 PM
Tie Downs...Lunging.... and flexing ahearn Horse Training 24 03-07-2008 12:28 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0