Too tall to work cattle?
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Riding Horses > Western Riding

Too tall to work cattle?

This is a discussion on Too tall to work cattle? within the Western Riding forums, part of the Riding Horses category
  • Why cattle work is best done on horses
  • 16hh working cow horse

Like Tree21Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    02-18-2013, 07:22 PM
  #1
Weanling
Too tall to work cattle?

I was wondering, is 16hh too tall to be a working cow horse? Would it affect his performance in any way? I am thinking of buying a horse to train for working cattle - he's almost 16hh, not quite there (but almost), and I think he's pretty much done growing as he's 4 and a half.
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    02-18-2013, 07:25 PM
  #2
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaLover    
I was wondering, is 16hh too tall to be a working cow horse? Would it affect his performance in any way? I am thinking of buying a horse to train for working cattle - he's almost 16hh, not quite there (but almost), and I think he's pretty much done growing as he's 4 and a half.
Do you mean working cow horse for show, or like a ranch horse working cattle?
     
    02-18-2013, 07:50 PM
  #3
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by COWCHICK77    
Do you mean working cow horse for show, or like a ranch horse working cattle?
I'm taking a Western Ranch & Cow Horse program at a college in Alberta,
And he's my pick of the lot .. it's more like ranch cattle work, not shows at all. I'm not really into showing haha
     
    02-18-2013, 07:54 PM
  #4
Started
I had a 16hh Lena bred cowhorse that I did hunters on occasion. He was a feedlot horse and seriously cowy! Regardless of his size, he was on a cow super quick and worked them great. He worked the feedlot most of his life.
COWCHICK77 likes this.
     
    02-18-2013, 08:00 PM
  #5
Showing
So long as the horse is agile and quick, then it doesn't matter what height he is. The biggest problem with that is, larger horses are, in general, slower than small horses. Larger/taller horses have that much more bulk and leg that they have to coordinate in order to get those quick turns.

That being said, my next ranch horse is standing just over 16.1hh right now...and weighing about 1400. He'll work great for what I do because I do more slow sorting and roping than I do cutting type work. It would be quite a pain in the butt trying to turn him into the next High Brow Cat .
Wallaby, COWCHICK77 and LisaG like this.
     
    02-18-2013, 08:01 PM
  #6
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh vair oh    
I had a 16hh Lena bred cowhorse that I did hunters on occasion. He was a feedlot horse and seriously cowy! Regardless of his size, he was on a cow super quick and worked them great. He worked the feedlot most of his life.
Thank you! Haha I was getting paranoid .. this guy has the sweetest personality, me and him really clicked. It would be a shame to have to turn him down because of his height.
     
    02-18-2013, 08:01 PM
  #7
Started
Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaLover    
I'm taking a Western Ranch & Cow Horse program at a college in Alberta,
And he's my pick of the lot .. it's more like ranch cattle work, not shows at all. I'm not really into showing haha
Is this the course at Lakeland in Vermillion?

If so, I think a 16hh horse would be prime because it will stand up better to harder work.
COWCHICK77 likes this.
     
    02-18-2013, 08:03 PM
  #8
Weanling
I have worked a lot of cows on big horses. The only problem is after 8 to 10 hour in the saddle that tall horse is hard to get off of the get a gate and get back on again.
     
    02-18-2013, 08:10 PM
  #9
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by QHriderKE    
Is this the course at Lakeland in Vermillion?

If so, I think a 16hh horse would be prime because it will stand up better to harder work.
Yes it is :) Did you take it?
     
    02-18-2013, 08:10 PM
  #10
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboyBob    
I have worked a lot of cows on big horses. The only problem is after 8 to 10 hour in the saddle that tall horse is hard to get off of the get a gate and get back on again.
I used to have that problem riding my 14.2hh gelding after a 5 hour trail ride .. hahaha
CowboyBob likes this.
     

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tall boot search - big feet, tall / slim calves caseymyhorserocks Horse Tack and Equipment 10 08-28-2012 05:00 PM
How tall are you & how tall are the horses you ride? st0rmys3as Horse Talk 91 03-07-2012 06:40 AM
work, work, work! Poor pony :( justsambam08 Horse Pictures 6 04-18-2010 02:07 AM
Cattle work with an Aussie saddle?? sheephorse Western Riding 3 04-14-2010 01:32 PM
Cattle work with an Ausiie saddle?? sheephorse Horse Tack and Equipment 18 04-08-2010 12:51 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0