Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Chuluota, Florida
What are your thoughts on starting dressage for western riders. All I know is that people are talking about starting this up. They do not have a website yet but that is in the works.
International Federation of Western Dressage in the United States we will inspire, encourage interest in, and regulate Western competition by ensuring the safety and well-being of horses, regardless of value or competitive level; ensure the enforcement of fair and equitable rules and procedures up to and including the inclusion for the Olympic Games; and, endeavor to advance the level of horsemanship internationally.
Our mission is to govern the Western Dressage in compliance with the laws of the United States and the Constitution and Bylaws of the United States Olympic Committee (USOC), and in addition, to provide vision and leadership to Western Dressage in the United States, to promote the pursuit of excellence in Western Dressage from junior and grass roots programs to international Western Dressage competitions. To accomplish this mission, our members and staff, working together will:
1) Hold an international competition in the U.S. Or to sponsor U.S. Amateur athletes to compete in international competition outside the U.S. And determine whether to grant such sanction.
2) Work together with the FEI in its mission to protect competition horses from any form of abuse, extend the universality of equestrian sport, and promote its visibility to the public.
(3) Protect and support the welfare of horses by inspecting, monitoring and testing to deter use of forbidden substances and other cruel, unsafe and/or unsportsmanlike practices and by adopting and enforcing rules to prohibit such practices.
4) Provide a body of rules with which to govern Western Dressage at the national level, along with an effective means of enforcing them, and a judicial process that is fair to competitors while providing for optimum integrity within the sport.
5) Encourage and support amateur athletic sports programs for disabled and/or handicapped individuals and the participation of disabled and/or handicapped individuals in amateur athletic activity, including, where feasible, the expansion of opportunities for meaningful participation by disabled and/or handicapped individuals in programs of athletic competition for able-bodied individuals.
6) Develop interest and participation in Western Dressage throughout the United States and work with affiliate associations, breed and discipline organizations, and other organizations to encourage participation.
7) Coordinate the calendar of competitions to assure FEI level competitive opportunities domestically; enhance the level of national competition in all FEI Western Dressage and provide for varying levels of regional and national competition to increase the breadth and depth of the sport throughout the country.
8) Train and license officials.
9) Establish national goals and encourage attainment of those goals.
10) Provide equitable support and encouragement for participation by women and minorities.