What kind of abuse goes on in reining? - The Horse Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 Old 02-07-2010, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
Started
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Pensacola, FL
Posts: 2,245
• Horses: 1
What kind of abuse goes on in reining?

Things that are specific to reining (not harsh bits, overuse of spurs, starting horses too early, etc).


I decided I wanted to do reining because a) it looks fun, and b) it looks much more natural and humane than most other disciplines. But I'm not that educated in the matter... I've boarded at a reining barn for the past year, but I've never even gone to a reining show or visited another barn. I've been taking lessons on finished reiners for the past few months, while simultaneously taking lessons on my mare to get her started in reining. I've done everything with her training up until this point, but my trainer is going to start training her himself in March.


But anyway... Is reining actually as humane as it looks?
CloudsMystique is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 37 Old 02-07-2010, 03:30 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: south of nowhere, north of nothing
Posts: 4,642
• Horses: 6
it used to be pretty bad but now they have certain rules. no harsh bits after your ride you have to present yourself to the judge and take out your horses bit to show that it is one of the legal ones. and you are working on your horses natural movements.

overall it really is more human than many other disiplines.

*Insert something witty*
Roperchick is offline  
post #3 of 37 Old 02-07-2010, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Started
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Pensacola, FL
Posts: 2,245
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roperchick View Post
it used to be pretty bad but now they have certain rules. no harsh bits after your ride you have to present yourself to the judge and take out your horses bit to show that it is one of the legal ones. and you are working on your horses natural movements.

overall it really is more human than many other disiplines.

Cool, thanks for replying : ]
CloudsMystique is offline  
post #4 of 37 Old 02-07-2010, 03:38 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 310
• Horses: 0
I have heard it can break them down over time especially if they are too big for it. Wether thats true or not I dont know.
paint gurl 23 is offline  
post #5 of 37 Old 02-07-2010, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
Started
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Pensacola, FL
Posts: 2,245
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by paint gurl 23 View Post
I have heard it can break them down over time especially if they are too big for it. Wether thats true or not I dont know.
That makes sense, and probably has a lot to do with them being started so young.

What do you think "too big" is? My mare's 15hh, which I know is on the large side for a reiner.
CloudsMystique is offline  
post #6 of 37 Old 02-07-2010, 04:28 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: in east tennessee
Posts: 496
• Horses: 6
i dont think 15 hh is too big to be a reiner. ive never done reining but id love to try it! it looks like a lot of fun!

its horse show time in tennessee!!!!!!!
what im not paranoid!!! ....whos asking???
proud to be a southerner!!!
chika1235 is offline  
post #7 of 37 Old 02-07-2010, 04:36 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Eventing Country
Posts: 8,220
• Horses: 0
I think "abuse" reates to all disciplines of the Equestrian World - the question is, what kind of a person are you, and are you willing to put you or the ribbon/trophy before your horses wellbeing?

If you are someone who puts your horse first, then there wont be a problem :) Unfortunately, there are far too many who put winning first and use their horses as an object, not a living creature that it is.

Horses break down due to conformation not compatable for the sport they are being asked to do, all the time - regardless if it is Jumping, Eventing, Dressage, Reining, Barrels, WP and the list goes on - riders have to be educated on that matter, and listen to their horses when they say "I can't do this"

Cloud, you seem to be a big hearted, careing person for those around you and your horses - I don't think there would be a problem, if you want to venture into this sport, then do so - you are intelligent and strong enough of a person to defend your horse, yourself and your horses rights.

MIEventer is offline  
post #8 of 37 Old 02-07-2010, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
Started
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Pensacola, FL
Posts: 2,245
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIEventer View Post
I think "abuse" reates to all disciplines of the Equestrian World - the question is, what kind of a person are you, and are you willing to put you or the ribbon/trophy before your horses wellbeing?

If you are someone who puts your horse first, then there wont be a problem :) Unfortunately, there are far too many who put winning first and use their horses as an object, not a living creature that it is.

Horses break down due to conformation not compatable for the sport they are being asked to do, all the time - regardless if it is Jumping, Eventing, Dressage, Reining, Barrels, WP and the list goes on - riders have to be educated on that matter, and listen to their horses when they say "I can't do this"

Cloud, you seem to be a big hearted, careing person for those around you and your horses - I don't think there would be a problem, if you want to venture into this sport, then do so - you are intelligent and strong enough of a person to defend your horse, yourself and your horses rights.

Thank you : ]
CloudsMystique is offline  
post #9 of 37 Old 02-07-2010, 05:02 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: northern arkansas
Posts: 3,100
• Horses: 1
I agree with MIEventer. You seem to be the type of owner who does not believe that the few minutes of suffering is necessary to win your prizes, you seem to genuinely care about your horse and want to try something fun and challenging. I think you guys would be great in reining.

Ω Horses are a projection of peoples dreams Ω
Honeysuga is offline  
post #10 of 37 Old 02-07-2010, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
Started
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Pensacola, FL
Posts: 2,245
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeysuga View Post
I agree with MIEventer. You seem to be the type of owner who does not believe that the few minutes of suffering is necessary to win your prizes, you seem to genuinely care about your horse and want to try something fun and challenging. I think you guys would be great in reining.
Thanks! I definitely care about her. She's been a happy trail horse for her first two and a half years under saddle, and if she doesn't like reining we won't do it anymore. I'm not doing it to win the NRHA championship - I just want to try something new.
CloudsMystique is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Reining people (esp reining trainers).... CloudsMystique Western Riding 7 09-28-2009 02:04 PM
Discipline or Abuse? tempest Horse Protection 34 09-03-2009 03:55 PM
Abuse. LoveTheSaddlebreds Horse Health 10 07-11-2009 06:36 PM
I abuse them can't you tell LOL Peggysue Horse Videos 7 12-22-2008 03:59 PM
its this abuse? HELP!!! Erin_And_Jasper Horse Protection 19 08-06-2008 11:01 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome