Would you give joint injections to a 6yo reiner as a preventative measure?
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Riding Horses > Western Riding

Would you give joint injections to a 6yo reiner as a preventative measure?

This is a discussion on Would you give joint injections to a 6yo reiner as a preventative measure? within the Western Riding forums, part of the Riding Horses category
  • Injecting horses knee
  • Injectable glucosamine for weanling horse

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    03-08-2010, 10:48 AM
  #1
Started
Would you give joint injections to a 6yo reiner as a preventative measure?

Or do you think they're unnecessary that early? Say the horse JUST started training...
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    03-08-2010, 11:17 AM
  #2
Weanling
NO!! Once you start those it's an endless cycle and will actually over time cause more harm to tissue than the benefit it's intended for.

Don't make him/her an old horse before their time.. look into other things as glucosamine, etc
     
    03-08-2010, 11:19 AM
  #3
Yearling
Don't comprimise a joint with injections unless necessary. Did someone seriously suggest you do knees "preventatively"? Why replace healthy synovial fluid with artificial? Injecting is not a risk free procedure.
Are your horses knees showing signs of soreness? I don't think injecting a knee is a part or being a reiner, as much as it doesn't have to be part of being a racehorse. I've had plenty of racehorses NOT have their knees done and be successful, and IMO, racing is far harder on the knees (we specialize in trotters).
If it does become necessary to inject after exhausting all other treatment regiments (including oral supplements, glucosamine IM, hosing, chiropractic, magnets etc etc), look into the best vet and the best injection. My personal fave is the HI 50 with 1cc cort to help with cooling.
JMO...
     
    03-08-2010, 11:35 AM
  #4
Started
Yes, several people suggested it to use as a preventative measure in another thread. To be fair, they didn't know the age of the horse, but they did know it was for prevention only.

I was told oral supplements are useless, and I'm not discounting glucosamine IM... is that not considered a joint injection?

Does it actually replace the healthy fluid? How can that be helpful, even on a horse with very little healthy fluid?
     
    03-08-2010, 11:38 AM
  #5
Weanling
Injectable glucosamine is of more benefit than oral.. oral only 40% actually gets absorbed. No, glucosamine is not a joint injection persay.. glucosamine is something that rebuilds tissue.

I was 'assuming' you were talking about actual Depo hock and or knee injections... apologies if I misunderstood
     
    03-08-2010, 11:50 AM
  #6
Started
Quote:
Originally Posted by qtrhrsecrazy    
Injectable glucosamine is of more benefit than oral.. oral only 40% actually gets absorbed. No, glucosamine is not a joint injection persay.. glucosamine is something that rebuilds tissue.

I was 'assuming' you were talking about actual Depo hock and or knee injections... apologies if I misunderstood
That's okay. So, there are no negative effects of glucosamine injections? If glucosamine "rebuilds" tissue, would it be useless to use as a preventative measure?
     
    03-08-2010, 11:58 AM
  #7
Yearling
I wouldn't call glucosamine a "joint injection". Going into the joint capsule, expelling the old fluid and putting in a new fluid (cort, HI 5o, etc) is injecting the joint. Glucosamine IM I would think of as preventative, but maybe a little overboard. If she is perfectly sound, well -shod, not overworked I would save your money for those expensive sliding plates when the time comes! Just keep an eye one her overall soundness, and if you think it's necessary, do the IM. I try ro follow the "less is more" phillosophy with stuff like that.
     
    03-08-2010, 12:05 PM
  #8
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudsMystique    
That's okay. So, there are no negative effects of glucosamine injections? If glucosamine "rebuilds" tissue, would it be useless to use as a preventative measure?
Glucosamine is safe - google it and research it is my best advice to you along with your vets input. I couldn't tell you as far as a 'preventative'. It certainly won't hurt, but as far as to actually prevent problems, no idea.

I have given it to mine after problem onset.. seemed to help but again could have been coincedence.

Stay away from Depomedrol unless it's an absolute have to
     
    03-08-2010, 12:05 PM
  #9
Started
Quote:
Originally Posted by shesinthebarn    
I wouldn't call glucosamine a "joint injection". Going into the joint capsule, expelling the old fluid and putting in a new fluid (cort, HI 5o, etc) is injecting the joint. Glucosamine IM I would think of as preventative, but maybe a little overboard. If she is perfectly sound, well -shod, not overworked I would save your money for those expensive sliding plates when the time comes! Just keep an eye one her overall soundness, and if you think it's necessary, do the IM. I try ro follow the "less is more" phillosophy with stuff like that.
Okay, that sounds good. Thanks so much : ]
     
    03-08-2010, 12:12 PM
  #10
Started
Quote:
Originally Posted by qtrhrsecrazy    
Glucosamine is safe - google it and research it is my best advice to you along with your vets input. I couldn't tell you as far as a 'preventative'. It certainly won't hurt, but as far as to actually prevent problems, no idea.

I have given it to mine after problem onset.. seemed to help but again could have been coincedence.

Stay away from Depomedrol unless it's an absolute have to
Okay... thanks for the the info!
     

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Psyllium as impaction preventative? trailhorserider Horse Health 2 01-24-2010 01:49 PM
Hock Injections TwendeHaraka Horse Health 5 04-30-2009 08:27 AM
Legend injections? TBsPlease Horse Health 8 03-20-2009 04:14 PM
Joint supplements?????? please give help Karen Horse Horse Health 8 09-24-2007 01:58 PM
arthritis, injections - how much? lindiak007 Horse Health 2 07-22-2007 12:47 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0