Things have not gone exactly to plan regarding the barn remodelling project.
Originally, DH was going to trade two aquaculture tanks and a bus for a partial barn renovation. Both tanks are gone, but the bus is still here: IMG_1200.jpg
The trade was only for renovating one room of the barn~ a 6x12 foot section that we want insulated and heated (YEA!!) We were going to do the rest ourselves. But the renovating guy suggested that we hire his son to do the outside sheathing and siding of the barn. The son was looking for work hiring him seemed like it would help everyone out. So we did.
That kind of went a little bit south, as the son is a pretty undependable sort of guy, and only works when you are right there. He still charges pretty good, but if you walk away, all progress grinds to a halt. And his girlfriend comes EVERY DAY and sits in her car, in the driveway, with the engine running for hours. Once she ran out of gas so we had to get her a few gallons, and once her battery died and we had to jump start her car. she just sits there: it's kinda creepy.
One day he called and said he couldn't come here because he had to organize his shop - and charged us $200.00 the next day because he said he organized it to accommodate us. For me, that was outrageous, but DH said to pay him, so I did.
The son has only been here about five or six days, all told, because no more siding can be done until some windows we ordered are delivered. So DH has taken the whole project over. He doesn't trust the son to do a good job (rightly so) and the dad was supposed to start on the room January 2nd, but we haven't heard a word.
So DH is just doing it all.
The first thing DH and I did was dig trenches, lay down drain pipe, and back fill with gravel to try and keep water out of the paddock. This trench brings the excess water between the house and the barn and takes it into the pond. This is before we put in the drain pipe or gravel. IMG_1221.jpg
The son sided three outer walls of the barn, and put in a human door into one wall. This is DH bringing the door over with the tractor. IMG_1244.jpg
Partly sided wall: IMG_1237.jpg
This is the front of the barn with Typar but no siding, waiting for the windows to arrive: DSC_9582.jpg
This is where Boojum peeled the Typar back off of the front of the barn: DSC_9608.jpg
I had to fence it off with dog gates...
The barn is 24x24 with two 12x12 stalls in the back ~ here is a stall: DSC_9673.jpg
...and the other stall with all my horsey okay-to-freeze horsey possessions: DSC_9604.jpg
Right now, we close off the stalls using these metal farm gates and secure them with chains. It is awkward and loud, so I am considering using stall-guards instead, like these: DSC_9692.jpg
Not a great picture, I know, but they hook across the stalls. The webbing on these is fairly solid, but I wonder how safe they are. Gotta think about this.
The front party of the 24x24 barn consists of one center 12x12 open shelter / stall flanked on either side by 6x12 rooms. So if you are standing at the barn entrance, a 12 foot opening, and... no, I can't quite describe it. I will have to do a drawing after all. But one 6x12 foot room will stay unheated, and will hold grain and stuff that can freeze, and the other 6x12 foot room will be heated and will hold saddles, bridles, and stuff that can't or shouldn't freeze. DH is making the heated room have a 'cathedral' ceiling...
More in the next post...