Portable/temporary electric fencing for camping with horses - The Horse Forum
 2Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 03-29-2016, 11:32 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 91
• Horses: 0
Portable/temporary electric fencing for camping with horses

I'm camping with horses in May and need to get some portable electric fencing. I saw a kit at Tractor Supply and was wondering if anyone has used it and if you like it. http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/zareba-kwik-korral-fence-kit?cm_vc=-10005. I would rather have solar charger, but this kit doesn't have that. I will use it after camping because my horses are on a dry lot and I can set it up around my farm for them to graze. Any other suggestions?
Posted via Mobile Device
luvbeach is offline  
post #2 of 17 Old 03-29-2016, 11:56 PM
Started
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 2,246
• Horses: 0
I don't know anything about portable fence, but I wanted to chime in to say to be sure to check w/ the campground. I run through our horse campground at our local state park, and it's posted that no temporary fences can be put up.
Jan1975 is offline  
post #3 of 17 Old 03-30-2016, 05:36 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Cambridge, MN
Posts: 894
• Horses: 2
I don't quite see enough information to make much of an evaluation of the Zareba kit from Tractor Supply. It says 330 feet of "tape" and 8 posts. Presumably the posts have built-in tabs to hold the tape, and you use more than one strand when you set it up, which would give a maximum length of 165'. But I'm just guessing. It might be a pain to set up and take down.

I use electrified net for my chickens, and I think I would go back to Premier for a similar product if I had your purpose in mind. Premier sells a similar product for horses which is lighter and easier to handle. A 100' fence will cost you $124.
https://www.premier1supplies.com/det...4737&cat_id=53
Video at the link to show how to set it up. I've had the chicken fence for two years and moved it several times and I am very happy with it.

If you want a solar charger, that will cost you about as much as the Zareba kit. But I think you would be happier. I didn't find a battery operated unit to be very powerful and battery replacement will eventually exceed the cost of a solar unit.
Joel Reiter is offline  
post #4 of 17 Old 03-30-2016, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 91
• Horses: 0
Do you have any recommendations for solar chargers? Thanks for the link, it looks like it will meet my needs. It had all positive reviews.
Posted via Mobile Device
luvbeach is offline  
post #5 of 17 Old 03-30-2016, 10:23 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 91
• Horses: 0
It is an organized event on property that allows fencing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan1975 View Post
I don't know anything about portable fence, but I wanted to chime in to say to be sure to check w/ the campground. I run through our horse campground at our local state park, and it's posted that no temporary fences can be put up.
Posted via Mobile Device
Jan1975 likes this.
luvbeach is offline  
post #6 of 17 Old 03-31-2016, 01:35 AM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Cambridge, MN
Posts: 894
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvbeach View Post
Do you have any recommendations for solar chargers?
If you value maximum convenience and quick easy setup and takedown, I would probably go with a battery unit like this:
https://www.premier1supplies.com/det...1667&cat_id=0&
It will at least equal the performance of the Zareba unit and your net cost wil be less. it's not solar but the battery will power the fence 80 days on a single charge and you probably won't camp that long.

If you want something a little more powerful, but still relatively convenient, I would go with one of these. in fact, this is what I will probably buy for this summer when I start moving my cattle around:
https://www.premier1supplies.com/det...297&cat_id=171

If you go much more powerful than that, the ground rods need to be longer, and would be pretty inconvenient to drive in a 6' ground rod every time you moved your fence. The second unit has an integrated solar panel. The kit includes the wiring harness, ground rod, a 110v recharger for the battery (very useful to extend battery life when the unit is not in use) and even a fence tester. which will help you sleep at night.

Whatever you get, be sure and set it up at home so both you and horse are comfortable with the arrangement before you get to your event.

I love my local Tractor Supply and Fleet Farm stores, but a lot of their electric fence products are built to a lower price point to avoid frightening away potential customers. In the long run, I've found the stuff from Premier to be a better buy.
Captain Evil likes this.
Joel Reiter is offline  
post #7 of 17 Old 03-31-2016, 12:14 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Edge of Fla/Everglades(sw side)
Posts: 449
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvbeach View Post
Do you have any recommendations for solar chargers? Thanks for the link, it looks like it will meet my needs. It had all positive reviews.
Posted via Mobile Device
The PARMAK 12 is one of the ones we use with great results . http://www.amazon.com/Parmak-Impedan.../dp/B00099FAJI
Rawhide is offline  
post #8 of 17 Old 04-04-2016, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 91
• Horses: 0
Would you recommend the 50' or 100'? After my camping trip, I will use the fencing to allow my horses to graze occasionally since they are on a dry lot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Reiter View Post
I don't quite see enough information to make much of an evaluation of the Zareba kit from Tractor Supply. It says 330 feet of "tape" and 8 posts. Presumably the posts have built-in tabs to hold the tape, and you use more than one strand when you set it up, which would give a maximum length of 165'. But I'm just guessing. It might be a pain to set up and take down.

I use electrified net for my chickens, and I think I would go back to Premier for a similar product if I had your purpose in mind. Premier sells a similar product for horses which is lighter and easier to handle. A 100' fence will cost you $124.
https://www.premier1supplies.com/det...4737&cat_id=53
Video at the link to show how to set it up. I've had the chicken fence for two years and moved it several times and I am very happy with it.

If you want a solar charger, that will cost you about as much as the Zareba kit. But I think you would be happier. I didn't find a battery operated unit to be very powerful and battery replacement will eventually exceed the cost of a solar unit.
Posted via Mobile Device
luvbeach is offline  
post #9 of 17 Old 04-04-2016, 06:17 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Cambridge, MN
Posts: 894
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvbeach View Post
Would you recommend the 50' or 100'? After my camping trip, I will use the fencing to allow my horses to graze occasionally since they are on a dry lot.
Posted via Mobile Device
I think I would get the 100' even if I only planned to use it for camping. If you want to do grazing I think you'll find that a 50' enclosure gets consumed pretty quickly. Depends on how often you expect to move -- if every day, the 50' would be easier to set up and take down, but if longer, you'll need to move it anyway to avoid damaging the turf.
Joel Reiter is offline  
post #10 of 17 Old 04-04-2016, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 91
• Horses: 0
Thanks so much for your help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Reiter View Post
I think I would get the 100' even if I only planned to use it for camping. If you want to do grazing I think you'll find that a 50' enclosure gets consumed pretty quickly. Depends on how often you expect to move -- if every day, the 50' would be easier to set up and take down, but if longer, you'll need to move it anyway to avoid damaging the turf.
Posted via Mobile Device
luvbeach is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Electric portable corral. Help? MrsKD14 Endurance Riding 7 01-19-2016 03:25 PM
Homemade portable pen for trail/camping dkb811 Trail Riding 28 11-27-2013 06:12 PM
Best (and Cheapest!) Portable/Temporary Electric Fence? poundinghooves Barn Maintenance 5 04-01-2013 07:04 PM
Portable Electric Fences. Any Recommendations? gamecock67 Trail Riding 7 06-06-2009 03:34 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome