Saddles for a total enduro newb - Page 2 - The Horse Forum
 18Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 24 Old 02-10-2020, 04:03 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 2,865
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbar View Post
I was messaging Desoto Saddlery and that is one option I am looking at if I decide i need to go custom for my mare. The maker rode endurance for years so knows how important saddle fit and comfort are. I was very impressed when I was messaging her for details.
I rode in a (borrowed) Desoto while I was trying to make up my mind what I really want. It was made for a guy and a horse that was a little different from my mare, but it fit us well enough that I was even considering buying it... Btw, I ride a gaited horse, so I was "sitting" in the saddle the whole time.

Still wanted to try out some other saddles and tried a Double Diamond and after 2 seconds in the saddle I was in love... Super close feel, comfy without lots of padding, secure (trust me, a Peruvian can teleport as well as an Arabian ) and for a custom saddle amazingly affordable...

I am riding in that saddle for over a year now and I enjoyed every moment sitting in it
AnitaAnne and QueenofFrance08 like this.
SwissMiss is online now  
post #12 of 24 Old 02-10-2020, 04:05 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 890
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by marymane View Post
I've always wondered how important weight of the saddle really is when it comes to endurance. For example I'm only around 110 lbs. sopping wet. If, theoretically, I was doing long distance would it really make a difference to my horse if the saddle isn't feather light and instead more of a traditional trail saddle? And what is the difference between a good trail or endurance saddle? Is an endurance saddle easy to move in for very long distances and a trail comfortable to sit in for short?


I have an interest in endurance but I've seen a lot of people also say that what really matters is getting a saddle that's comfortable/works for you and your horse whether or not it's marketed for endurance.
100% a saddle that fits you and your horse is the most important.

In my opinion, the weight of the saddle in terms of riding isn't really important, maybe it makes a minimal difference in speed/weight carried but unless you have a 50+ lb roping/parade saddle I doubt a 20 lb vs a 15 lb saddle will have a huge impact. What it does matter to me is for my ease! During a 50 I'll untack and retack up to 5 times, most of those times in the vet check area which is a distance from my trailer. After about the 2nd loop I'm pretty tired and hauling a heavy saddle from vet check to my trailer (even in a wagon) and hefting it on to my horse is not very fun.
AnitaAnne, SwissMiss and cbar like this.
QueenofFrance08 is offline  
post #13 of 24 Old 02-10-2020, 05:21 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,423
• Horses: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by marymane View Post
I've always wondered how important weight of the saddle really is when it comes to endurance. For example I'm only around 110 lbs. sopping wet. If, theoretically, I was doing long distance would it really make a difference to my horse if the saddle isn't feather light and instead more of a traditional trail saddle? And what is the difference between a good trail or endurance saddle? Is an endurance saddle easy to move in for very long distances and a trail comfortable to sit in for short?


I have an interest in endurance but I've seen a lot of people also say that what really matters is getting a saddle that's comfortable/works for you and your horse whether or not it's marketed for endurance.
As @Queen offrance mentioned, saddle fit is the most important thing. If you have a light weight saddle, but it doesn't fit, that will do you no good. At CTR events (which are similar but different than endurance), the weight of the saddle & rider combined can push you into different 'weight classes', which can be beneficial depending on the number of riders, etc in that weight class. Most saddle I have been looking at around the 20lb mark - so they are still pretty substantial, but a bit lighter than my western saddle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissMiss View Post
I rode in a (borrowed) Desoto while I was trying to make up my mind what I really want. It was made for a guy and a horse that was a little different from my mare, but it fit us well enough that I was even considering buying it... Btw, I ride a gaited horse, so I was "sitting" in the saddle the whole time.

Still wanted to try out some other saddles and tried a Double Diamond and after 2 seconds in the saddle I was in love... Super close feel, comfy without lots of padding, secure (trust me, a Peruvian can teleport as well as an Arabian ) and for a custom saddle amazingly affordable...

I am riding in that saddle for over a year now and I enjoyed every moment sitting in it
Was the Desoto pretty good quality overall though? I haven't actually talked to someone who has tried one, but have found that the reviews I have come across are overall fairly positive.
AnitaAnne likes this.
cbar is offline  
post #14 of 24 Old 02-10-2020, 05:44 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 2,865
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbar View Post
As Was the Desoto pretty good quality overall though? I haven't actually talked to someone who has tried one, but have found that the reviews I have come across are overall fairly positive.
It was good quality overall. When I got it, it was green with mold and the fenders were pretty stiff. But it cleaned up great. The leather of the saddle was nice. A bit too much padding for my liking (and the former owner's seat bones had worn dents in the padding over 6+ years or so with long hours in the saddle) and I didn't like the rigging too much. The fenders I never got used to and replaced them with simple leathers...

An advantage of them is that Marilyn is super helpful. Even if you buy used, she will tell you all about that specific saddle...
AnitaAnne and cbar like this.
SwissMiss is online now  
post #15 of 24 Old 02-10-2020, 06:15 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Western Massachusetts
Posts: 6,334
• Horses: 3
I'm only an endurance wannabe but my saddle is a ReactorPanel, which has rather unique design which allows a custom fit. I love the saddle, it is comfy for me and my horse both, and I am sure will be just fine for all the big rides I'll ever go on. If I had to do it over again I would get an RP again but one of the super lightweight ones (they make flapless endurance saddles that are like 12 lbs). But I don't, because the saddle was so expensive I'll probably never get another one.

Short horse lover
Avna is offline  
post #16 of 24 Old 02-10-2020, 07:34 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Montana
Posts: 953
• Horses: 1
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Pandora saddles yet. They're within the OP's budget, and have moveable panels to fit a variety of horses, and are arguably the lightest saddles out there. Are they not good for someone just getting into endurance? I'm moving more toward long trail rides/endurance myself and have been looking at them Ö are there negatives that I'm not seeing? The seat is hard, but from the sound of things very comfortable thanks to the shape, especially with sheepskin I'd think. I ride in a hardseat western saddle and I love it, it's so comfy for me even on long rides (though the fenders tend to torque my ankles after about hour 3). Of course having never ridden in a Pandora I could be way off the mark lol

-- Kai
Kaifyre is offline  
post #17 of 24 Old 02-10-2020, 09:26 PM
Foal
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 34
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaifyre View Post
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Pandora saddles yet. They're within the OP's budget, and have moveable panels to fit a variety of horses, and are arguably the lightest saddles out there. Are they not good for someone just getting into endurance? I'm moving more toward long trail rides/endurance myself and have been looking at them Ö are there negatives that I'm not seeing? The seat is hard, but from the sound of things very comfortable thanks to the shape, especially with sheepskin I'd think. I ride in a hardseat western saddle and I love it, it's so comfy for me even on long rides (though the fenders tend to torque my ankles after about hour 3). Of course having never ridden in a Pandora I could be way off the mark lol

-- Kai

I'm really curious about Pandora saddles but most of what I've read of them was from the testimonials page on their own site and a blog post that didn't give much information because the rider was only trying it out and didn't end up getting it, though they didn't say anything bad about it. I just haven't found any reviews of it not directly linked to the company or discussions on forums or anything on them. They totally seem the sort of thing where you either really love it or you hate it since it's so different from most other saddles saddles. Though considering OP just is interested in the apparent comfort of most endurance saddles and not in actually doing endurance from what I understand I'm not sure if checking out a Pandora would fit the bill. I mean they're very much something only someone who is very invested in endurance would likely want considering how they look and all. I mean it's very...VERY different from any traditional saddle.
cbar and Kaifyre like this.
marymane is offline  
post #18 of 24 Old 02-10-2020, 11:18 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Southeast
Posts: 9,043
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaifyre View Post
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Pandora saddles yet. They're within the OP's budget, and have moveable panels to fit a variety of horses, and are arguably the lightest saddles out there. Are they not good for someone just getting into endurance? I'm moving more toward long trail rides/endurance myself and have been looking at them Ö are there negatives that I'm not seeing? The seat is hard, but from the sound of things very comfortable thanks to the shape, especially with sheepskin I'd think. I ride in a hardseat western saddle and I love it, it's so comfy for me even on long rides (though the fenders tend to torque my ankles after about hour 3). Of course having never ridden in a Pandora I could be way off the mark lol

-- Kai
Quote:
Originally Posted by marymane View Post
I'm really curious about Pandora saddles but most of what I've read of them was from the testimonials page on their own site and a blog post that didn't give much information because the rider was only trying it out and didn't end up getting it, though they didn't say anything bad about it. I just haven't found any reviews of it not directly linked to the company or discussions on forums or anything on them. They totally seem the sort of thing where you either really love it or you hate it since it's so different from most other saddles saddles. Though considering OP just is interested in the apparent comfort of most endurance saddles and not in actually doing endurance from what I understand I'm not sure if checking out a Pandora would fit the bill. I mean they're very much something only someone who is very invested in endurance would likely want considering how they look and all. I mean it's very...VERY different from any traditional saddle.
@phantomhorse13 rides in a Pandora...with a thinline seat cushion on top.


My Abetta (Wide tree) is well padded but doesn't fit my horse. Too wide for him. It is comfortable, if a bit slippery. I prefer with a sheepskin seat.


I have an older Big Horse endurance that is Very comfortable, but it is a medium tree so doesn't fit my horses.


Will such a tall horse, it is better to have a more lightweight saddle Personally I ride in a treeless Barfoot Tahoe, but understand why you are wanting to avoid treeless.

Lots of sources for biothane tack, which is wonderful stuff and holds up such a long time! I have mostly Zilco, but have used some other brands too and mix and match. Berlin tack and Two Horse tack make theirs, some custom sizes available.

Riding warehouse has a lot of endurance gear, but not a huge selection of saddles. I have bought a lot from them. Also Distance Depot has a nice selection.

Horse Saddle Shop has the largest selection of saddles of many types that I have ever seen, and you can call and talk to them personally.
Kaifyre likes this.
AnitaAnne is offline  
post #19 of 24 Old 02-10-2020, 11:44 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Montana
Posts: 953
• Horses: 1
I have several Two Horse Tack items and I love them. Easy to clean, holds up to hard use well, and stays flexible even in below zero temps, which was a plus for me lol. You can choose from their size selection, and while I haven't had any fit issues myself I've read several reviews online of people saying they bought x sized item and it was a wonky fit. But every one of their items can be custom sized if you provide measurements, so if you're worried you can always do that. I'm going to be getting some stuff this spring since they now have a bunch of trail and packing things like cruppers, saddle breeching, etc. 10/10 would highly recommend.

-- Kai
AnitaAnne likes this.
Kaifyre is offline  
post #20 of 24 Old 02-11-2020, 12:03 AM
Weanling
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: California
Posts: 680
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by marymane View Post
I'm really curious about Pandora saddles but most of what I've read of them was from the testimonials page on their own site and a blog post that didn't give much information because the rider was only trying it out and didn't end up getting it, though they didn't say anything bad about it. I just haven't found any reviews of it not directly linked to the company or discussions on forums or anything on them. They totally seem the sort of thing where you either really love it or you hate it since it's so different from most other saddles saddles. Though considering OP just is interested in the apparent comfort of most endurance saddles and not in actually doing endurance from what I understand I'm not sure if checking out a Pandora would fit the bill. I mean they're very much something only someone who is very invested in endurance would likely want considering how they look and all. I mean it's very...VERY different from any traditional saddle.
A friend of mine had a Pandora. I think she said something about it being nice to sit in, but it was a nightmare for her Arab. Iíd have to ask her for details on it.

I have some Two Horse Tack gear. I love their reins because I like the ability to get grippy reins and roller buckles as I absolutely hate hate hate the metal rein clips, and the reins are inexpensive compared to some of the other brands out there. I like the 9 foot length and their trail style reins. Iíve never had any fit issues with the three headstalls I got from them either (Hi, Iím CaliforniaDreaming and Iím a tackaholic) so Iím pretty satisfied. Theyíre not high end like Zilco or anything, but the material is good and thatís what matters. I do wish their breastcollar were padded, but I already have enough of those and donít need more. 😝
AnitaAnne likes this.
CaliforniaDreaming is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

« GPS Tracker | - »
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome