I show mainly in Dressage and have done a few Hunter classes here and there. I'll give some general advice for now:
- If you are prepping the horse yourself the day of the show, do not wear your show attire. Wear barn clothes and bring your show clothes in a separate bag.
- Once changed, I like to put a pair of sweatpants or rain pants over my breeches until I'm ready to ride. This keeps them clean.
-Have a 'show bag' on hand. In mine, I keep materials for cleaning stains, lifting hair off my jacket, a hair kit (elastics, bobby pins, hair gel and spray), a first aid kit, boot cleaning and polishing equipment, and my helmet + sometimes 2 pairs of gloves.
- For what to wear:
- Bottom: Beige or white (Dressage) breeches with a black or brown belt.
-Top: A clean show shirt with a collar, tucked in. The color varies between disciplines. White is generally acceptable for any discipline starting out. Hunters do vary from the white shirt.
- A black show jacket. If this is a beginners show that is at your riding school, a black blazer would be acceptable until you show consistently.
- black gloves
-Boots: Black tall boots are preferable. Boots should be clean and polished. In a schooling show, black paddock boots + clean black half chaps may be acceptable.
-Hair: Should be secured up into a bun or under helmet. I like to do a French braid, then run the tail of the braid up and pin it. After your hair is secured, a hairnet is used.
Warm Up Ring:
- Warm up anywhere from 15min-25min before your ride
-call out where you are going ("Circle!", Outside, etc) If you are unsure of where other riders are headed.
-Pass other horses by the rule "Left shoulder by left shoulder" If travelling in opposite directions and If you are travelling in the same direction, the faster horse gets the outside track.
-Keep an 'elephant sized' distance when riding behind other horses.
-Stay clear of horses with red ribbon in their tails. This means they may kick out.
- Bring snacks and water
- Sunscreen, glasses + hat for when you are not riding.
- A foldable chair for watching other rides and for waiting for show times.