sitting trot help. - Page 2 - The Horse Forum
 6Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 35 Old 10-21-2013, 12:58 AM
Showing
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 22,320
• Horses: 0
Hey, sitting the trot is hard, especially if you've got a horse that has even a little bit of a rough or "big" trot. It takes a lot of balance and core strength and it can be really hard to keep that strength elastic enough to move with the horse and not get stiff but still actually be strong enough to keep you down in the saddle.

Don't get discouraged, it takes a lot of time to build up the ability (both through fitness and training) to do it consistently.
smrobs is offline  
post #12 of 35 Old 10-21-2013, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
Started
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Delta, BC
Posts: 1,649
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinxremoving View Post
Why do you say that you suck? What specifically about your sitting trot are you not happy with? Are you bouncing around? Legs moving too much? Need more details! :)
I always post, without noticing and my leg slips forward.

Equestrianism; 10% luck, 20% skill, 15% concentrated power of will, 5% pleasure, 50% pain and 100% reason to remember you're absolutely insane to be riding a beast that big.
Samstead is offline  
post #13 of 35 Old 10-21-2013, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
Started
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Delta, BC
Posts: 1,649
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyseternalangel View Post
"On the past couple weeks"

A couple of weeks = 2 weeks

How many times do you ride a week?

Because I rode 4-5 times a week and my sitting trot took me AGES to get, because my horse's back wasn't ready for it and also because it just takes your body some time to learn how to keep down despite the upward thrust of the horse's hind end.

Cut yourself some slack! Some time on the lungeline is good, don't knock it! But a lot of people try to freeze their hands or their legs... no. You need to act like shock absorbers on a car and soak in the movement, not just hold your arms like you are a statue.
just once, more lessons cost money I don't have

Equestrianism; 10% luck, 20% skill, 15% concentrated power of will, 5% pleasure, 50% pain and 100% reason to remember you're absolutely insane to be riding a beast that big.
Samstead is offline  
post #14 of 35 Old 10-21-2013, 05:56 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Missouri
Posts: 17,077
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samstead View Post
I always post, without noticing and my leg slips forward.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samstead View Post
just once, more lessons cost money I don't have
Yeah that's nearly not enough time to learn how to sit the trot. It will take more saddle time, so just keep working on it.

You post without realizing because that's naturally how you ride a trot. Your body is bumped up, gravity brings you down. Your leg slips forward likely because your legs aren't strong enough yet to stay put.

Just think about keeping them underneath you and over time your riding will improve and you'll start to feel the right kind of sitting trot.

"Strength is the ability to use a muscle without tension"
Skyseternalangel is offline  
post #15 of 35 Old 10-21-2013, 11:02 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 740
• Horses: 1
I'd bet that your legs slip forward because you're bracing against the stirrups for dear life! Next time you want to sit the trot, start out at a walk and bend your knees to pull your feet back underneath you; make your heels become level-- hold the stirrups with the ball of your foot, but don't use them very much or worry about jamming your heels down. Instead, think about your weight sinking down on to your seatbones. If you have to, take your knees and legs completely off of the saddle, note the feeling of really sitting in that saddle, and try again!

Before you ask for the trot, think about the motion-- it'll be a 1-2-1-2 motion that initially feels like it's shoving you forward on each beat, but instead think about the trot moving each seatbone independently- left, right, left right in time with your horse's hindquarters.

Now that you have the beat you want, gently gently gently! ask for a baby trot. Ask with your legs, but also by starting to gently move your hips in the left-right-left-right beat that you're asking for. When the horse eases into that trot, just relax! If it gets overwhelming, come back down the walk and relax.

The other keys are relaxation, practice, practice, relaxation, and also practice. ;) I've been working on the sitting trot for a year and am just now starting to become proficient! Good luck & don't get frustrated!
Cherrij likes this.

Last edited by existentialpony; 10-21-2013 at 11:05 PM.
existentialpony is offline  
post #16 of 35 Old 10-22-2013, 06:15 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 486
• Horses: 0
when i was trying to get better at sit trot i would always be so bouncy. now I don't bounce as much and stay weighted in my seat. i wish i could back and tell myself some secret, but it was really a matter of just doing it a lot. Stirrupless helps (if you feel secure enough to do it) because you have no choice but to put your weight down. But even still if you're rigid and don't absorb the shocks of those bounces.. you will pop up out of the saddle. I tend to put the shock of those bounces in my belly area. Everyone puts the punch from those bounces somewhere.. when i started it went from the horses back up to my shoulders (a real problem area for me) which is wrong.. but now I try and keep it in the belly/core area and use that portion of my body as the shock absorber.. that plus really getting used to how the horse moves keeps my butt in the saddle.

there are times actually when i want to focus i will sit trot instead of post because posting is too distracting and sit trot is easier for me now. go figure.
Gossalyn is offline  
post #17 of 35 Old 10-22-2013, 10:37 PM
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ontario
Posts: 17,293
• Horses: 0
Ignore you instructors snide remarks about your previous coach. It's a bit of one-up-man-ship. One of the reasons you may be having difficult is if the horse is strung out rather than collected. With collection there is a softening of the gaits which makes a slow trot easier to sit and it does need to be a slow trot-slow enough that posting feels a bit awkward.



Saddlebag is offline  
post #18 of 35 Old 10-23-2013, 12:02 AM Thread Starter
Started
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Delta, BC
Posts: 1,649
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saddlebag View Post
Ignore you instructors snide remarks about your previous coach. It's a bit of one-up-man-ship. One of the reasons you may be having difficult is if the horse is strung out rather than collected. With collection there is a softening of the gaits which makes a slow trot easier to sit and it does need to be a slow trot-slow enough that posting feels a bit awkward.
no she's right this really should have been taken care of a while ago, she's not bad mouthing my old coach or being "snide" at all, they're friends and happen to have different teaching styles, my old coach was more relaxed this one is more kick-your-butt

Equestrianism; 10% luck, 20% skill, 15% concentrated power of will, 5% pleasure, 50% pain and 100% reason to remember you're absolutely insane to be riding a beast that big.
Samstead is offline  
post #19 of 35 Old 10-23-2013, 12:07 AM
Showing
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Missouri
Posts: 17,077
• Horses: 1
You just have to... not over-think not bouncing around. This animal is propelling you forward, and you're trying to stay down. Focus your attention on soaking that energy like a sponge.

Relax, imagine what your spine looks like, are their kinks in it, or is it nice and fluidly straight? What are your seat bones doing?

What are your arms like? Rigid? Like noodles?

Just focus on all of that.. being nice and fluid, and tucked under you as opposed to arched away from yougl

"Strength is the ability to use a muscle without tension"
Skyseternalangel is offline  
post #20 of 35 Old 10-23-2013, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
Started
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Delta, BC
Posts: 1,649
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyseternalangel View Post
You just have to... not over-think not bouncing around. This animal is propelling you forward, and you're trying to stay down. Focus your attention on soaking that energy like a sponge.

Relax, imagine what your spine looks like, are their kinks in it, or is it nice and fluidly straight? What are your seat bones doing?

What are your arms like? Rigid? Like noodles?

Just focus on all of that.. being nice and fluid, and tucked under you as opposed to arched away from yougl
I'll try that but considering my back is naturally very arched it may bit a bit of a challenge

Equestrianism; 10% luck, 20% skill, 15% concentrated power of will, 5% pleasure, 50% pain and 100% reason to remember you're absolutely insane to be riding a beast that big.
Samstead is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help in sitting trot jenniferw Jumping 10 05-25-2012 04:08 PM
sitting trot jenniferw Horse Riding & Horse Activity 11 05-24-2012 08:58 PM
Sitting trot Luis Horse Riding & Horse Activity 15 01-12-2012 02:53 AM
Sitting Trot BarrelWannabe Horse Riding & Horse Activity 8 09-25-2011 09:33 AM
Sitting Trot? easyluckyfree Horse Riding & Horse Activity 22 01-24-2010 01:08 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome