Swerving... - Page 2 - The Horse Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 22 Old 11-15-2009, 05:27 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: South Africa.
Posts: 1,168
• Horses: 3
I can understand your instructer to a point, because a horse must understand who's boss, but a person mustn't be mean to a horse. That's not right.

And muscles in your arms won't solve anything. When working with a horse, it is technique that gets you places, not strength. A horse will beat you with their eyes closed.

*~ THE HORSE STOPPED WITH A JERK, AND THE JERK FELL OFF -- Jim Culleton ~*
MANURE HAPPENS
flamingauburnmustang is offline  
post #12 of 22 Old 11-15-2009, 08:44 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: on a farm, duh!
Posts: 3,475
• Horses: 2
Agreed. You shouldn't yell at the horse. I only yell once in a blue moon at my horse, and that's usually praising him on XC. All comunication should be through your body, you can't yell at the horse in a dressage test, or in the show ring for that matter.

Jumping a horse = Getting wings!
Why live on the edge when you can jump off?- Greenwood Horse Trials Tee-Shirt
StormyBlues is offline  
post #13 of 22 Old 11-17-2009, 04:15 AM Thread Starter
Weanling
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: In my saddle! Or, in another persons saddle...
Posts: 307
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormyBlues View Post
Agreed. You shouldn't yell at the horse. I only yell once in a blue moon at my horse, and that's usually praising him on XC. All comunication should be through your body, you can't yell at the horse in a dressage test, or in the show ring for that matter.
Lol, tell that to my instructor! Meh, i never yell at the horses... But my fellow pupils are brainwashed and yell at their horses. Only i know better...

Ride to live, and live to ride!
HorsePride is offline  
post #14 of 22 Old 11-17-2009, 04:20 AM Thread Starter
Weanling
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: In my saddle! Or, in another persons saddle...
Posts: 307
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingauburnmustang View Post
I can understand your instructer to a point, because a horse must understand who's boss, but a person mustn't be mean to a horse. That's not right.
Yes, i agree too...

And muscles in your arms won't solve anything. When working with a horse, it is technique that gets you places, not strength. A horse will beat you with their eyes closed. [/quote] Yes... Ur... Sir... Ur, what r u lol?

Ride to live, and live to ride!
HorsePride is offline  
post #15 of 22 Old 11-17-2009, 05:15 AM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: South Africa.
Posts: 1,168
• Horses: 3
^LOL. Yeah, he will be so confused...

*~ THE HORSE STOPPED WITH A JERK, AND THE JERK FELL OFF -- Jim Culleton ~*
MANURE HAPPENS
flamingauburnmustang is offline  
post #16 of 22 Old 11-17-2009, 05:55 AM
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 615
• Horses: 3
sit up straight, he will have to rebalance and inside leg and push with your body out of the circle
bubblegum is offline  
post #17 of 22 Old 11-17-2009, 02:10 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Maui
Posts: 944
• Horses: 0
The instructor has a problem: does she school you,the paying student, or the horse? Seems to me that when your turn comes to canter round, the horse takes full control. He's actually running away with you, not disobedient so much as doing what he knows he's supposed to do, but as fast as he can, and without consulting with you first! I think she needs to school horse a bit better before using him for lessons. He shouldn't be allowed to canter round, but only at a trot, until he tracks up without swerving. When he starts to pull in (if I understand this right) I would turn his head into the circle and make a small circle, until he straightened out. You have to show him what you want, no need to be mean. But you could spend a lot of time schooling the horse, when more attention should be paid to you.
Beling is offline  
post #18 of 22 Old 11-18-2009, 01:51 AM Thread Starter
Weanling
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: In my saddle! Or, in another persons saddle...
Posts: 307
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingauburnmustang View Post
^LOL. Yeah, he will be so confused...
Lol, it's a SHE!

Ride to live, and live to ride!
HorsePride is offline  
post #19 of 22 Old 11-18-2009, 01:55 AM Thread Starter
Weanling
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: In my saddle! Or, in another persons saddle...
Posts: 307
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblegum View Post
sit up straight, he will have to rebalance and inside leg and push with your body out of the circle
Thanks!

Ride to live, and live to ride!
HorsePride is offline  
post #20 of 22 Old 11-18-2009, 01:58 AM Thread Starter
Weanling
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: In my saddle! Or, in another persons saddle...
Posts: 307
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beling View Post
The instructor has a problem: does she school you,the paying student, or the horse? Seems to me that when your turn comes to canter round, the horse takes full control. He's actually running away with you, not disobedient so much as doing what he knows he's supposed to do, but as fast as he can, and without consulting with you first! I think she needs to school horse a bit better before using him for lessons. He shouldn't be allowed to canter round, but only at a trot, until he tracks up without swerving. When he starts to pull in (if I understand this right) I would turn his head into the circle and make a small circle, until he straightened out. You have to show him what you want, no need to be mean. But you could spend a lot of time schooling the horse, when more attention should be paid to you.
The horses here have all like a problem... They don't bother schooling them i think. But, I'll try to do that thingie. Thanks! I can't just school the horse though...

Ride to live, and live to ride!
HorsePride is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome