Boarding Quesstions !! NonBorders Welcome - Page 2 - The Horse Forum
 45Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 35 Old 11-18-2018, 07:55 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 2,571
• Horses: 1
I board and I have a trailer, that I keep at the boarding place. I would simply not have the space to keep it at home.


I used to board about 45 min (one way) away. A place I knew my horse was taken care of and safe. Still moved my mare to a closer place, as I just couldn't deal with the long drive anymore. But I also work 60-80 hrs per week and have a family with small kids - so driving time is literally wasted time for me.
SwissMiss is offline  
post #12 of 35 Old 11-18-2018, 09:06 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 9,213
• Horses: 0
As a kid I lived on Long Island.
I had my horses at a family friends home.
I did all the care myself and we kept the horse trailer there too.
As a young adult my then show horses were boarded at a barn where I took lessons and showed from...our trailer was then kept on site locked tight so no one "borrowed" it without permission.
As a older young adult I worked the barns and kept my horse where I worked...and my trailer was kept on site too.
The most I traveled was about 1/2 hour to get to the barn but many traveled a hour or more if you wanted to ride with a particular trainer or barn was very common...
As a barn worker, I traveled to different jobs sometimes 1 1/2 hours not because of distance but because of traffic congestion making travel slow...
When a paycheck is a incentive to make good money you will drive...
As a adult, today I live in Central Florida.
My horses are in my backyard as are my trailers....
Depending upon where you live you might need to travel easily a hour or more to ride with good instruction.
Most barns here have trailer parking space and live-on-the-grounds owners or barn help so a safe environment to keep a trailer is very possible.
With the amount of trailers and horses along with livestock here unless you have a extraordinary trailer to my knowledge no one messes with what is a common commodity.
From very rusted old to the newest of top-of-the-line you see all kinds and values on the road and in yards.


I'm sure there is a need for places to store trailers, but there are storage facilities in many communities now that have vehicle rental space as I see campers, horse trailers, boats and boat trailers and all kinds of enclosed trailers in my travels behind commercial height fence with guarded entries and security codes needed to gain entrance to those facilities.
Is there a need for storage, sure but it is available, easily found too..
...

The worst day is instantly better when shared with my horse.....
horselovinguy is offline  
post #13 of 35 Old 11-18-2018, 11:28 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: PA, USA
Posts: 440
• Horses: 1
I board my pony, as I do not have the land to keep him at home. The barn is about 15-20min away depending on traffic. Heís on full care board as well, because I work five days a week. With a boarding situation, I like that I can work, knowing that my horse is well taken care of. When I am off work, I will go to the barn, help out where I can, and spend time with my guy. Itís also good that the barn is 15-20 minutes away where I live, so itís not a huge distance to travel there.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"All bonds are built on trust. Without it, you have nothing."
Phantomrose is offline  
post #14 of 35 Old 11-18-2018, 11:57 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Southeast
Posts: 7,566
• Horses: 0
I live in Alabama and have done both; boarding a variety of places from nice to basic and keeping them at home when I had the land (was married then).


I much prefer keeping them at home, but my current setup where I rent the land works pretty good too. I can do pretty much whatever I want, but I do let the owner know if I am planning anything major (like a barn addition).


There is no building code in the county, so no rules

When I have boarded, the rate was quite low as I am not in a wealthy area. Expensive here is $330/month for full board including hay, feed, stall cleaning and daily turnout.

However, every place I have boarded here does expect the boarders to help out. No way to stay in business without help.

Trailers usually stayed on the property wherever the horses were, but sometimes I do keep them at home. Usually if I get in late and don't have time to clean out the trailer before bed. Easier to just take it home and clean it out in the morning. Generally I clean the trailer off the boarding property out of curtesy.
bsms and humanartrebel1020 like this.
AnitaAnne is offline  
post #15 of 35 Old 11-19-2018, 06:19 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: bay area, ca
Posts: 772
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnitaAnne View Post
I live in Alabama and have done both; boarding a variety of places from nice to basic and keeping them at home when I had the land (was married then).


I much prefer keeping them at home, but my current setup where I rent the land works pretty good too. I can do pretty much whatever I want, but I do let the owner know if I am planning anything major (like a barn addition).


There is no building code in the county, so no rules

When I have boarded, the rate was quite low as I am not in a wealthy area. Expensive here is $330/month for full board including hay, feed, stall cleaning and daily turnout.

However, every place I have boarded here does expect the boarders to help out. No way to stay in business without help.

Trailers usually stayed on the property wherever the horses were, but sometimes I do keep them at home. Usually if I get in late and don't have time to clean out the trailer before bed. Easier to just take it home and clean it out in the morning. Generally I clean the trailer off the boarding property out of curtesy.

330 is an unheard of deal. That doesn't exist in my part of CA.


I live in the bay area near SF and board my horse now towards the east bay. We used to be on the peninsula where average, low-quality board is about 800-1000 dollars a month. Part-board, meaning they feed and MAYBE clean. Full care MUST include training in my area. So that will run you about 2500 a month, 3000 upper level. 1200 is the lowest i've found for full training/care.


My current barn is $540 for what i consider partial care: cleaning once a day, feed 2x a day, blanketing service, but turnout service is extra $$ and only consists of an hour of time in a round pen to chill. We have box stalls attached to runs. My horse is fed outside in her run and spends 90% of her time out there. She doesn't enjoy time out of her stall and after 5 minutes of hanging in the arena will stand by the gate waiting to be brought back in.


I was paying $475 for what we consider very rough board out here: only included feeding. Cleaning was an extra $100 a month. No turnout at all because the barn had almost 200 horses. Pastures were dirty, dangerous, and overcrowded. Facilities were terrible, but in that particular area Stanford was taking back their land and put a lot of barns out of business by shutting them down to use the land for adding onto the campus. So if you had no money you were SOL, because most of the SV moguls lived in this area and could afford the expensive horse boarding, so the prices reflected.



My friend pays 2500 for complete full care and training 3x a week for her horse. She gets state of the art facilities. Shows on the HJ circuit cost anywhere from $1000 for saturday/sunday to $6000 for the entire week.



People don't always understand or have compassion for how expensive CA is, and it's only like this because out median wage is about $150,000 and that doesn't get you far.
humanartrebel1020 likes this.
thecolorcoal is offline  
post #16 of 35 Old 11-19-2018, 06:55 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 9,213
• Horses: 0
Coal...
Those prices are not just in California...
They are also on Long Island and many parts of the tri-state area....in Florida too.
This is with mediocre named trainers...the really big names will put you in the $5000 a month plus range...and the barns are full for that cost with waiting lists of clients wanting in!
Ten+ years ago my gf was paying $850 for "full" board...it was pitiful care and poor quality food I would throw out not feed.
Turnout was a extra $5 a day for one hour of t/o on a dirt lot that was rut filled and small in size...
Horses are a luxury, period.
If you are in a very populated area where land value is huge then expect to pay large prices for mediocre care and lodging.
Sad but a fact you are seeing first hand.
...

The worst day is instantly better when shared with my horse.....
horselovinguy is offline  
post #17 of 35 Old 11-19-2018, 07:03 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: bay area, ca
Posts: 772
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by horselovinguy View Post
Coal...
Those prices are not just in California...
They are also on Long Island and many parts of the tri-state area....in Florida too.
This is with mediocre named trainers...the really big names will put you in the $5000 a month plus range...and the barns are full for that cost with waiting lists of clients wanting in!
Ten+ years ago my gf was paying $850 for "full" board...it was pitiful care and poor quality food I would throw out not feed.
Turnout was a extra $5 a day for one hour of t/o on a dirt lot that was rut filled and small in size...
Horses are a luxury, period.
If you are in a very populated area where land value is huge then expect to pay large prices for mediocre care and lodging.
Sad but a fact you are seeing first hand.
...

I think $5 (or 8 in my case) is completely overpriced for a small little round pen like you and I are describing! especially when all my horse does is stand and crib the entire hour...



Very much agree. However I feel us Californians tend to be pushed to the side and excluded from the conversation of prices in the horse world. Or we are lumped together with the infamously affordable midwest/some southern states which also isn't fair.


I'm certain the barns in Wellington are $$$! and virginia!!!!!!!!! I found one in Tx for 1200/mo and that shocked me!


I also found 900/mo full care at a dressage barn close by and my eyes boggled!!! That's cheap!


It upsets me greatly and I am insanely jealous of the people who get great care for very little. Then you have our areas where just a plain old stall slapped together with twine can cost as much as rent for an apartment.
humanartrebel1020 likes this.
thecolorcoal is offline  
post #18 of 35 Old 11-19-2018, 07:34 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Northern Florida
Posts: 4,453
• Horses: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecolorcoal View Post
I think $5 (or 8 in my case) is completely overpriced for a small little round pen like you and I are describing! especially when all my horse does is stand and crib the entire hour...



Very much agree. However I feel us Californians tend to be pushed to the side and excluded from the conversation of prices in the horse world. Or we are lumped together with the infamously affordable midwest/some southern states which also isn't fair.


I'm certain the barns in Wellington are $$$! and virginia!!!!!!!!! I found one in Tx for 1200/mo and that shocked me!


I also found 900/mo full care at a dressage barn close by and my eyes boggled!!! That's cheap!


It upsets me greatly and I am insanely jealous of the people who get great care for very little. Then you have our areas where just a plain old stall slapped together with twine can cost as much as rent for an apartment.

Don't be insanely jealous just move out. I grew up in S. California, spent eight years near Minneapolis/St. Paul area, lived 14 years on Long Island and worked out of NYC, and now living in N. Florida.

California is an absolutely beautiful state and everyone loves the climate, or at least used to anyway. As one of my friends says, "Your paying for the sunshine" Minnesota is beautiful but you freeze your buns off in the winter. NY? well it's NY. I hated it and you couldn't pay me to move back there but there are people who wouldn't leave there if their life depended on it. Florida is sunny and warm but the heat and humidity in the summer is a killer. For me, it's better than freezing. If the cost of living here got like California, I'd be out of here, probably back to the midwest and freeze, but at least I would be living my life the way I want without stressing over money.

If I had to pay the boarding costs that you all do with the conditions that you put up with, I probably would not have horses.

There will be only one of you for all time. Fearlessly be yourself.
Coffee is my spirit animal
LoriF is offline  
post #19 of 35 Old 11-19-2018, 07:44 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: bay area, ca
Posts: 772
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriF View Post
Don't be insanely jealous just move out. I grew up in S. California, spent eight years near Minneapolis/St. Paul area, lived 14 years on Long Island and worked out of NYC, and now living in N. Florida.

California is an absolutely beautiful state and everyone loves the climate, or at least used to anyway. As one of my friends says, "Your paying for the sunshine" Minnesota is beautiful but you freeze your buns off in the winter. NY? well it's NY. I hated it and you couldn't pay me to move back there but there are people who wouldn't leave there if their life depended on it. Florida is sunny and warm but the heat and humidity in the summer is a killer. For me, it's better than freezing. If the cost of living here got like California, I'd be out of here, probably back to the midwest and freeze, but at least I would be living my life the way I want without stressing over money.

If I had to pay the boarding costs that you all do with the conditions that you put up with, I probably would not have horses.

Yeah it really is about location. Those who accuse us Cali people of being "snobby and better-than-you"s are 100% right, especially in my area. My population does tend to look down at the rest of the country.



Not so easy to transfer to another state and find work, especially at the same payscale. It's nice that 150,000 here is the equivelant to 40-60,000 in somewhere like... nebraska. There are other factors to consider when moving to another state, such as political and whether or not one can tolerate a different thought perspective which can be challenging for a CA transplant, because the ideology shared in this state is the minority in other parts of the US. My family is mostly worried about the challenges in belief systems if I were to move out of state - they think i'd start a fight and get shot! LOL!


The next best place for me would be Sacramento, which is a bit slower and would be a nice stepping stone to another place in the US where our "bay area beliefs" wouldn't be approved or accepted i'd personally like to go to KY! but again the job market is still not good in many places, but it is booming in SF.
thecolorcoal is offline  
post #20 of 35 Old 11-19-2018, 08:45 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: CenTex
Posts: 964
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by humanartrebel1020 View Post
Thanks for your input guys this really helped!! How far would one only be willing to drive for board esp if it was a nice secure place??
I used to have to drive 50-60 minutes one way to see our horses. They were at a great place where we loved to ride, but getting down there more than twice a week was almost impossible. I moved them to another place that's about 20-25 minutes away, and I'm out there 4-5 times now and I love it. There is another place that's even closer, like less than 10 minutes from me, but they have a LOT of horses on the acerage and you're lucky to get two hours of turnout a day, and not with the same group either. I would love to be so close to my horses that I could see them twice a day, but it's more important to me that they are on pasture 24/7, so I had to find a place that was farther out.

So I guess, to answer your question, I'm happy to drive 20-25 minutes one way, knowing that they are on pasture (but with access to stalls if they need stall rest or whatever) with the same other horses every day, just being happy horses.
LoriF and Kalraii like this.
ACinATX is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome