Morgan Mix Mare, What mix and conformation - Page 2 - The Horse Forum
 13Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 21 Old 02-01-2014, 09:43 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Cariboo, British Columbia
Posts: 13,977
• Horses: 3
The way she moves, she is all Morgan.
Yogiwick likes this.

I am not here to promote anythingNo, that's not true, I am here to promote everything equestrian and everyone enjoying horses!
waresbear is offline  
post #12 of 21 Old 02-03-2014, 12:31 PM
Foal
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: WV
Posts: 5
• Horses: 0
From the first pic I was assuming she was indeed a mix and thinking maybe Standardbred. However, on seeing the second pic and how she is moving and carrying herself, she looks pure Morgan to me - not that I'm any expert. I'm just Morgan obsessed. ;) If you have the ways and means, it'd be fascinating to see if a DNA test would show she's Lippitt. She's *that* pretty and correct looking to me. The Lippitt Club on Facebook mentioned about some Lippitts that are not getting registered. If she were to turn out Lippitt, you might just have yourself a very rare bloodline.
Yogiwick likes this.
zett is offline  
post #13 of 21 Old 02-03-2014, 12:49 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: New England
Posts: 12,001
• Horses: 3
I don't know if she's Lippet nor do I think it's that rare. (I'm from MA though so may be rarer further out :P) but that was my EXACT thought process

"hmmm maybe standardbred?" "oh, no way, ALL morgan" haha!
Yogiwick is offline  
post #14 of 21 Old 02-03-2014, 01:01 PM
Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: CT USA an English transplant
Posts: 34,786
• Horses: 3
She has a slight pony look to her so maybe someone mixed some welsh blood into the line at some time or even some hackney pony to get a higher knee action?
She's very nice.
Yogiwick likes this.
jaydee is offline  
post #15 of 21 Old 02-03-2014, 03:08 PM
Foal
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 81
• Horses: 0
Very beautiful and very Morgan looking.
binkyhoo is offline  
post #16 of 21 Old 02-04-2014, 04:05 AM
Foal
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: WV
Posts: 5
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogiwick View Post
I don't know if she's Lippet nor do I think it's that rare. (I'm from MA though so may be rarer further out :P) but that was my EXACT thought process

"hmmm maybe standardbred?" "oh, no way, ALL morgan" haha!
Ah, in MA I don't suppose Lippitts seem so rare. I'm down in WV and thinking more nationwide. :)
zett is offline  
post #17 of 21 Old 02-04-2014, 09:41 AM
Showing
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: New England
Posts: 12,001
• Horses: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by zett View Post
Ah, in MA I don't suppose Lippitts seem so rare. I'm down in WV and thinking more nationwide. :)
LOL yeah I noticed that. I don't think of them as rare, actually, there are probably almost as many Lippitts as Morgans haha. But I can see how that would diminish the further you go.
Yogiwick is offline  
post #18 of 21 Old 02-04-2014, 12:25 PM
Foal
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: WV
Posts: 5
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogiwick View Post
LOL yeah I noticed that. I don't think of them as rare, actually, there are probably almost as many Lippitts as Morgans haha. But I can see how that would diminish the further you go.
I don't know about that, even up in MA :) According to AMHA: As of August 20, 2007, there were approximately 107,950 living registered Morgans. - See more at: American Morgan Horse Association

According to The Lippitt Club, there are only about 2000 Lippitts. If I'm doing the math correctly, that's about 1.9% of all Morgans.

However, if you are in an area that's almost all Lippitts, I consider you *very* lucky. Do you get to handle any? Are they as sweet and sane as TLC says they are?
zett is offline  
post #19 of 21 Old 02-04-2014, 01:56 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: New England
Posts: 12,001
• Horses: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by zett View Post
I don't know about that, even up in MA :) According to AMHA: As of August 20, 2007, there were approximately 107,950 living registered Morgans. - See more at: American Morgan Horse Association

According to The Lippitt Club, there are only about 2000 Lippitts. If I'm doing the math correctly, that's about 1.9% of all Morgans.

However, if you are in an area that's almost all Lippitts, I consider you *very* lucky. Do you get to handle any? Are they as sweet and sane as TLC says they are?
I think the 2000 are all in VT/MA lol. I wouldn't say "almost all" but there are plenty (out of the Morgan population) Honestly it's hard for me to specify "that horse is a Lippit" I usually just remember the Morgan part and some people don't even mention that. My first horse was a Morgan, registered ex show horse but I never got his papers (). I know several very nice Morgans that I believe are Lippitts and my old vet is on the breeders list. Nice horses but I just love Morgans they are GREAT horses and I love their personalities. :) (Though I wouldn't consider my old boy "sweet" in fact my mother told me recently that she really didn't like him! Guess he was a one person guy :P)

Ugh I was drooling over THE most gorgeous mare on dreamhorse but can't find her any more.
zett likes this.
Yogiwick is offline  
post #20 of 21 Old 02-14-2014, 11:34 AM Thread Starter
Weanling
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: NEPA
Posts: 580
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee View Post
She has a slight pony look to her so maybe someone mixed some welsh blood into the line at some time or even some hackney pony to get a higher knee action?
She's very nice.
Im not sure. But I don't think so. In person nothing says pony at all. At least IMO. Thank you for the compliment on her though I sure do adore her. Once I get her over here and get somethings done, I am going to start sending in DNA tests for her. One to see if shes morgan 100%, and if she is, the next will be to the lippet.
Larissa is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Confo Critique For A Mix-Breed Mare (+ tons of pics) InsaneDino Horse Conformation Critique 5 08-27-2012 07:47 PM
If you mix these what will you get? luvmytobipaint Horse Colors and Genetics 16 01-06-2011 07:22 PM
FS: A Mix of this and that TwisterRush Tack and Equipment Classifieds 3 10-17-2009 08:32 PM
Coarse Mix Rusty34 Horse Health 1 01-13-2009 10:35 PM
oldenburg mix jumping' jimmie Horse Breeding 1 08-07-2008 08:52 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome