Horse with a big Knot - The Horse Forum
 5Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 03-19-2020, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: FLorida
Posts: 227
• Horses: 5
Horse with a big Knot

I went to see Ace yesterday and i realized there was something in his tail and i grabbed it and it was the largest knot i had ever seen!! It was like hard like there was hay inside and it needs to get gone. I will try to get pictures of it today.. Any good detangling spray and brushes?

To ride a horse is to fly without wings!
classybarrels is offline  
post #2 of 11 Old 03-19-2020, 10:55 AM
Foal
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 59
• Horses: 2
Cowboy Magic Detangler and Shine is all I've used for over a decade.
FWIW I brush tails every day to keep this sort of thing from happening as well as to stimulate the tailbone and promote blood flow. The old 'never brush a tail' is a wives tale, really.
Kaifyre and classybarrels like this.
Interstellar is offline  
post #3 of 11 Old 03-19-2020, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: FLorida
Posts: 227
• Horses: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interstellar View Post
Cowboy Magic Detangler and Shine is all I've used for over a decade.
FWIW I brush tails every day to keep this sort of thing from happening as well as to stimulate the tailbone and promote blood flow. The old 'never brush a tail' is a wives tale, really.
Alright I will go get that today. I just noticed it yesterday and i was shocked and i told my mom i need to get that out
Interstellar likes this.

To ride a horse is to fly without wings!
classybarrels is offline  
post #4 of 11 Old 03-19-2020, 11:02 AM
Started
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: CT
Posts: 1,780
• Horses: 0
Find a good detangler like cowboy magic or Manely. Drown the know in detangler and work through the outside slowly freeing the hair. It will feel like you arenít making progress for a while, but if you just slowing work through it you can do it!!!
Dehda01 is offline  
post #5 of 11 Old 03-19-2020, 11:04 AM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: FLorida
Posts: 227
• Horses: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dehda01 View Post
Find a good detangler like cowboy magic or Manely. Drown the know in detangler and work through the outside slowly freeing the hair. It will feel like you arenít making progress for a while, but if you just slowing work through it you can do it!!!
okay!! Thank you so muchh for the help!!

To ride a horse is to fly without wings!
classybarrels is offline  
post #6 of 11 Old 03-19-2020, 11:25 AM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 8,630
• Horses: 12
We soak them in warm detangling or creme rinse and just keep working it in then with a hay bag in place and a stool to the side (shady side) start working from the outside in with fingers or a small pick and ease it all apart. It can take hours.

Some horse people change their horse, they change their tack and discipline, they change their instructor; they never change themselves.
QtrBel is offline  
post #7 of 11 Old 03-19-2020, 11:36 AM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 11,126
• Horses: 0
Patience and time are needed...
Use your fingers not a brush or anything else to detangle.
Same as working bad knots from human hair...start at the bottom..go up and then spread out.
Once you find usually one section that is the culprit of twisting everything tightly together the knots do seem to fall apart easier..
Getting to and finding that one set of strands is the difficult part.
Let us know what you find in the tail that started this mess cause there is usually something...my guys get twigs/sticks and away it goes.
Remember, patience and time are musts to get this done and not ruin the tail in the process.
...

The worst day is instantly better when shared with my horse.....
horselovinguy is offline  
post #8 of 11 Old 03-19-2020, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: FLorida
Posts: 227
• Horses: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by QtrBel View Post
We soak them in warm detangling or creme rinse and just keep working it in then with a hay bag in place and a stool to the side (shady side) start working from the outside in with fingers or a small pick and ease it all apart. It can take hours.
okay i can totally do that

To ride a horse is to fly without wings!
classybarrels is offline  
post #9 of 11 Old 03-19-2020, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: FLorida
Posts: 227
• Horses: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by horselovinguy View Post
Patience and time are needed...
Use your fingers not a brush or anything else to detangle.
Same as working bad knots from human hair...start at the bottom..go up and then spread out.
Once you find usually one section that is the culprit of twisting everything tightly together the knots do seem to fall apart easier..
Getting to and finding that one set of strands is the difficult part.
Let us know what you find in the tail that started this mess cause there is usually something...my guys get twigs/sticks and away it goes.
Remember, patience and time are musts to get this done and not ruin the tail in the process.
...

alright ill keep yall posted thank you

To ride a horse is to fly without wings!
classybarrels is offline  
post #10 of 11 Old Today, 02:57 PM
Foal
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 36
• Horses: 0
When I first got my mare her tail was in such a huge knot it was no longer hair strands just a knot! I used the cowboy magic detangler and a wide toothed pick. Some parts we did have to cut that way we could get through it but in the end she kept almost all her tail length. It took about 4 hours but she stayed content by eating hay
Jay19 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome