Sorry for the delay in responding, my weekend was a crazy mess, and sorry for the spastic first post, I'm usually more well-written ( I was mobile posting in a hurry ).
So what I missed in the first post is that she was soaking in epsom salts and water then wrapping ( whole packing, diaper, vet wrap and duct tape route ). The horse has badly flared hooves, my friend's most recent farrier ( of about a year ) has not address any of the issues and then put front shoes on her. The horse came up lame, her husband pulled the shoes as one was ever so slightly loose at the very back but still solid at the toe. She asked me to trim her up, I basically just collected the foot, put a roll on and rockered the toe. She seemed slightly more comfortable, but still lame.
We felt heat in one spot specifically. My husband has a infrared thermometer that we brought out and seemed to locate an aread 1/3 of the way down from the coronary band that was 3-4 degrees Celsius warmer then elsewhere, though the heat seems to have disappeared now.
She was told by the vet in town that it is illegal in Alberta to haul a 3 legged lame horse. But that vet wouldn't come out to see her, saying that they can't bring the xray machine out to her. Also, though the vet will see horses on the farm, they are not set up for them at the clinic. She was very upset at the thought of hauling and the horse falling on the way ( it's very hilly and bumpy ).
She found a vet with horse care facilities an hour away, ended up hauling out, the guy she dealt with was apparently a jerk. They x-ray'd to look for proof of an abscess but found nothing. No fractures found. They just blamed it on laminitis and told her to bute and go home. She was able to get Animalintex ( or something like that ) pads from the vet to pack with because they still want to treat for an abscess apparently. I had called every clinic/horse supply/pharmacy/health store in a two hour radius but no one carries Ichthammol. Closest place is G&E Pharmacy in Edmonton.
I don't have pictues, but prior to my trim ( 4 weeks after the farrier was last out ) the hoof was very flared, though obviously still is to an extent, with underrun heels and laid over barns. The nails were quite low set to the point where my roll basically removed all traces of them. The xrays show side to side is in balance but P3 has rotated. I don't know the degrees, but based on this pic, I'd say it was a little worse then "moderate", but the toe is much more stretched forward. The tip is not pointing down as extremely as severe though.
The horse is currently in a mostly level-ground hot wire "paddock" to keep her out of the mud and on soft ground. She is laying down quite a bit though, but the vet didn't comment on that at all.
The vet didn't try to drain as they couldn't find "it", but my friend had already asked my opinion and I am against the idea of cutting into the sole to look for it.
Basically, my friend doesn't know where to go from here. The vet said that if there is not at least 80% improvement by tomorrow ( which so far there is not ) that they want to do a lameness exam on her, including blocking. I'm hesitant to agree, only because it seems that any and all vets up here slap the "navicular" label on any hoof pain ( even if it's clear that the hooves themselves are just in desperate need of a proper trim ). The first vet already scared the heck out of my friend saying that she's going to founder in the good front leg and have to be put down.