Calling All Teeth Aging Experts! - The Horse Forum
 6Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 12-02-2019, 02:04 AM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 6
• Horses: 0
Calling All Teeth Aging Experts!

How old do you think this filly is? She was a rescue so no papers or anything concrete to go on. She just lost a baby tooth today. The second one from the middle on the top right. Vet is thinking about 2.5 but it's hard to tell if her front teeth are permanents or not. Thoughts?

Thank you!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BDC9D8B2-7171-46C3-B95C-A7CF602499A9_1575266672452.jpg (38.1 KB, 4 views)
CodaHonor is offline  
post #2 of 11 Old 12-02-2019, 02:34 AM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: SW UK
Posts: 15,142
• Horses: 0
I disagree with the vet, her two central teeth are permanents, they get those at 2.5.

If she is loosing the lateral teeth then she is 3.5'

The corners change at 4.5 and come into wear at around 5 when it is known as a full mouth.

I would say she is around 3.5.
Foxhunter is online now  
post #3 of 11 Old 12-02-2019, 09:51 AM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 25,428
• Horses: 7
I'm going 3-4.
Knave likes this.

"Be a best friend, tell the truth, and overuse I love you
Go to work, do your best, don't outsmart your common sense
Never let your prayin knees get lazy
And love like crazy"
farmpony84 is offline  
post #4 of 11 Old 12-02-2019, 10:38 AM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 6
• Horses: 0
Thank you guys. So how do you tell that the front two are permanent? Is it just because the second from front was lost? Or is there something to physically see? I'm waiting for a call back from my vet because he said we'd get a better idea as she loses teeth.
CodaHonor is offline  
post #5 of 11 Old 12-02-2019, 10:42 AM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 6
• Horses: 0
Also when she was vetted in October her knees were almost closed but not quite yet. If that helps with aging.
CodaHonor is offline  
post #6 of 11 Old 12-02-2019, 11:16 AM
Trained
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Southeast
Posts: 8,325
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodaHonor View Post
Also when she was vetted in October her knees were almost closed but not quite yet. If that helps with aging.
It helps in my mind. So I would agree with the vet, 2.5 coming three year old in spring.
JCnGrace likes this.
AnitaAnne is offline  
post #7 of 11 Old 12-02-2019, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 6
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnitaAnne View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodaHonor View Post
Also when she was vetted in October her knees were almost closed but not quite yet. If that helps with aging.
It helps in my mind. So I would agree with the vet, 2.5 coming three year old in spring.

So then would she be losing teeth early or just her joints slow to close? This is confusing. Lol
CodaHonor is offline  
post #8 of 11 Old 12-02-2019, 11:46 AM
Trained
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Southeast
Posts: 8,325
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodaHonor View Post
So then would she be losing teeth early or just her joints slow to close? This is confusing. Lol
Teeth early would be my guess, especially since she is a rescue, possible tough/course hay maybe?

I think 2.5 is a fairly normal time for joints to close, but of course poor feed can slow growth too.

Either way, she should be ready to go under saddle this spring, and I would call her a three year old as of 2020 in whatever random month you would like to assign a birthday.
AnitaAnne is offline  
post #9 of 11 Old 12-03-2019, 01:40 AM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: SW UK
Posts: 15,142
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnitaAnne View Post
It helps in my mind. So I would agree with the vet, 2.5 coming three year old in spring.
Have to disagree with you too!
If she has lost her lateral tooth then she has to be older than 2.5, rescue or not. They do not loose teeth early because they were fed tough hay.

Codahonor, to assess if knees are closed really takes x rays but an experienced person can get a rough idea.
Foxhunter is online now  
post #10 of 11 Old 12-03-2019, 12:46 PM
Started
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 1,904
• Horses: 0
She's not 2.5 turning 3 she's already 3 years old. She'll be a coming 4 year old.
Foxhunter likes this.

Out riding my horse.
rambo99 is online now  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome