Danger from Himalayan Salt
I was waiting to make sure I had the facts before I posted this. Still not sure if Himalayan salt caused her horse to die, but it seems likely.
My sweet neighbor got herself a wonderful gelding. He was everything she wanted in a riding horse. But he kept having chronic diarrhea. She called the vet, changed feeds several times, bought $1000 worth of hay because they would only deliver if she took that much. The vet tried several antibiotics and numerous other attempts. We're not talking little runny stools, we're talking explosive wet blasts, scalded buttocks and hind legs, raw sores. Her bills totaled $6000 before she finally gave up and allowed the vet to euthanize her horse. It broke her heart and brings me to tears whenever I think about it.
BECAUSE . . . when she finally got a new horse, it also got chronic diarrhea which nothing would help, same darn thing! The vet was stymied. One wretched night, my neighbor and her son were sitting at the table trying to figure out what might be the common denominator between the two horses. Both were completely healthy when purchased. Both quickly came down with diarrhea upon arriving at her place. Her yearling Gypsy Vanner had no problems ever.
What they finally came up with was Himalayan salt. My neighbor gives her animals nothing but the best, and people told her that horses do best with Himalayan salt. She noticed that her Gypsy Vanner rarely licked the salt, but her riding horse devoured it. And her new horse was loving it.
She and her son researched Himalayan salt and discovered it is highly toxic, loaded with arsenic, lead, thallium, and mercury. If ingested in larger quantities it causes . . . you guessed it . . . bad diarrhea. My kind sweet thoughtful caring loving friend actually killed her beloved horse. Of course, she had no idea. Even the vet, who charged her several thousand dollars before they were done, had no idea. I had no idea. (I don't buy Himalayan salt because it is pricey and I am cheap).
So I am passing this word on to other horse owners. I was intensely curious and googled Himalayan salt for horses and discovered NOTHING about its dangers on any website. All the sites I found about Himalayan salt and horses said how wonderful it was, how horses love to lick it because it does not abrade their tongues like block salt will.
Then I googled for humans, and there was site after site about the dangers of ingesting too much Himalayan salt. Ditto for dog and cat websites. And every one of them said it causes diarrhea. And ultimately, death. My friend had a wonderful amazing fun horse that died because she thought she was taking the best care of him that she could. Even the vet didn't know. So, now we do. From one website:
"The list includes many poisons like mercury, arsenic, lead, and thallium. Himalayan salt ingredients also include radioactive elements: radium, uranium, polonium, plutonium, and many others.”
The happy (sort of bittersweet, really) ending is that her new horse is now thriving, no diarrhea at all, and riding great. I hope this discovery helps someone else save their horse.
Last edited by horselovinguy; 08-05-2020 at 12:07 PM.