Laminitis??? - The Horse Forum
 9Likes
  • 3 Post By loosie
  • 1 Post By Yogiwick
  • 1 Post By loosie
  • 2 Post By loosie
  • 2 Post By Cherie
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 10-11-2014, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 4
• Horses: 0
Laminitis???

So it's been a very stormy/rainy week where I live and I haven't got to spend much time with my horse this week. I went out today to brush him and clean his hooves and I noticed something. He has always had a small white line at the top of his hooves right where his hair line starts. But now, particularly on his back right hoof, it has grown bigger. I have absolutely no idea what this could be or if im just overreacting but I contacted my farrier this morning as soon as I noticed and he hasn't got back with me yet. He has no signs of founder at all and has been running around the pasture happily like he always does.. The relationship between founder and laminitis confuses me though and I don't know much about it. Sorry for the bad quality in the attached picture... What does it look like to you?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (30.8 KB, 45 views)
LuckyTaylor is offline  
post #2 of 10 Old 10-11-2014, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 4
• Horses: 0
Here is somewhat of a better picture
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (38.1 KB, 44 views)
LuckyTaylor is offline  
post #3 of 10 Old 10-11-2014, 08:14 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 19,824
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyTaylor View Post
...He has no signs of founder at all and has been running around the pasture happily like he always does.. The relationship between founder and laminitis confuses me though...
Hi Lucky,

Unfortunately the pics aren't helpful. You need to at least take close up, non blurry pics for critiques, and if you check out the link in my signature below it is to a website with helpful info on what's needed for critique shots. What you describe sounds like it could be just swollen periople(coronary skin) from too much wet footing. Is it soft, the swollen bit, or is it actual wall material that's bulging?

Founder & laminitis are often used interchangeably, 'laminitis' being the more technical term & 'founder' the lay term. There is 'low grade' or 'sub clinical' laminitis/founder, without obvious lameness. There is acute laminitis, where the horse has a bounding pulse & painful feet, may want to lie down all the time or rock back onto heels when standing. There is mechanical laminitis/founder with 'rotation' or 'sinking' of P3 within the capsule, and many other degrees & specifics. Often though, people use the terms differently, and 'laminitis' refers to the inflammation/pain, while 'founder' refers to the generally chronic(long term) mechanical changes that happen to a laminitic foot that is not managed adequately.

IMO it is so vital to learn about stuff like laminitis, as a horse owner, even if you own a 'laminitis proof' TB or arab! The reason being is that EVERY horse is at risk of laminitis, due to many reasons, not just obesity & OD of grain, and that people(even vets & farriers) still frequently don't recognise signs or worrying factors until 'suddenly, out of the blue, for no reason' the horse is acutely lame, or wearing 'ski feet'. While if they understood about 'low grade' laminitic signs, they could avoid the vast majority of serious & chronic cases.
flytobecat, greentree and Yogiwick like this.

Some info I've found helpful; [COLOR=Lime][B]www.horseforum.com/horse-health/hoof-lameness-info-horse-owners-89836/
For taking critique pics; [COLOR=Lime][B]https://www.horseforum.com/members/41...res-128437.jpg
loosie is offline  
post #4 of 10 Old 10-11-2014, 08:22 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: New England
Posts: 12,000
• Horses: 3
Good post loosie, but luckily I think the OP is just referring to the coronet band being enlarged with water.

The band between the hoof and skin is sort of like the cuticle of your finger and will get all puffy and ugly if it soaks in water.

COMPLETELY normal. If it's moreso in one foot maybe he was standing with that foot in a wetter area or the hair is sitting diferently or something but I bet they are all like that.

The reason loosie didn't catch that is because an experienced horse person looking at that pic there is nothing wrong at all, it really is that normal.

Now if you aren't talking about that please say! I would hate to tell you something is normal when there is a serious issue.

It is always good to educate yourself on things such as laminitis/founder anyways :)
tinyliny likes this.
Yogiwick is offline  
post #5 of 10 Old 10-11-2014, 08:40 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 19,824
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogiwick View Post
Good post loosie, but luckily I think the OP is just referring to the coronet band being enlarged with water. ...
The reason loosie didn't catch that
That is what I'm thinking Yogi, but did indeed 'catch' that - I called it 'coronary skin' because the word 'cuticle' refused to acknowledge my need for it!
Yogiwick likes this.

Some info I've found helpful; [COLOR=Lime][B]www.horseforum.com/horse-health/hoof-lameness-info-horse-owners-89836/
For taking critique pics; [COLOR=Lime][B]https://www.horseforum.com/members/41...res-128437.jpg
loosie is offline  
post #6 of 10 Old 10-11-2014, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 4
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogiwick View Post
Good post loosie, but luckily I think the OP is just referring to the coronet band being enlarged with water.

The band between the hoof and skin is sort of like the cuticle of your finger and will get all puffy and ugly if it soaks in water.

COMPLETELY normal. If it's moreso in one foot maybe he was standing with that foot in a wetter area or the hair is sitting diferently or something but I bet they are all like that.

The reason loosie didn't catch that is because an experienced horse person looking at that pic there is nothing wrong at all, it really is that normal.

Now if you aren't talking about that please say! I would hate to tell you something is normal when there is a serious issue.

It is always good to educate yourself on things such as laminitis/founder anyways :)
Thanks! That makes a lot of sense especially how rainy it's been here lately. He was a rescue horse so his hooves weren't in the best shape, they stayed dry all the time so in addition to putting lard on his hooves we also let his water tank over fill to make it muddy around that area to help moisturize them a little! So that could be contributing to it as well. Thanks for the reply :)
Posted via Mobile Device
LuckyTaylor is offline  
post #7 of 10 Old 10-11-2014, 08:56 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: New England
Posts: 12,000
• Horses: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by loosie View Post
That is what I'm thinking Yogi, but did indeed 'catch' that - I called it 'coronary skin' because the word 'cuticle' refused to acknowledge my need for it!
Yes I would of disregarded it as a "normal foot" except for the question. I find the comparison to "cuticle" clicks the best for many people. For whatever reason I didn't read your post super well the first time and missed a couple (several) things, I see we basically said the same thing lol.

OP- Keep in mind that too much moisture isn't good either. It can be tricky :) Generally speaking the dryer the better.
Yogiwick is offline  
post #8 of 10 Old 10-11-2014, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 4
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by loosie View Post
Hi Lucky,

Unfortunately the pics aren't helpful. You need to at least take close up, non blurry pics for critiques, and if you check out the link in my signature below it is to a website with helpful info on what's needed for critique shots. What you describe sounds like it could be just swollen periople(coronary skin) from too much wet footing. Is it soft, the swollen bit, or is it actual wall material that's bulging?

Founder & laminitis are often used interchangeably, 'laminitis' being the more technical term & 'founder' the lay term. There is 'low grade' or 'sub clinical' laminitis/founder, without obvious lameness. There is acute laminitis, where the horse has a bounding pulse & painful feet, may want to lie down all the time or rock back onto heels when standing. There is mechanical laminitis/founder with 'rotation' or 'sinking' of P3 within the capsule, and many other degrees & specifics. Often though, people use the terms differently, and 'laminitis' refers to the inflammation/pain, while 'founder' refers to the generally chronic(long term) mechanical changes that happen to a laminitic foot that is not managed adequately.

IMO it is so vital to learn about stuff like laminitis, as a horse owner, even if you own a 'laminitis proof' TB or arab! The reason being is that EVERY horse is at risk of laminitis, due to many reasons, not just obesity & OD of grain, and that people(even vets & farriers) still frequently don't recognise signs or worrying factors until 'suddenly, out of the blue, for no reason' the horse is acutely lame, or wearing 'ski feet'. While if they understood about 'low grade' laminitic signs, they could avoid the vast majority of serious & chronic cases.
It is a little soft. Thank you for your reply! Very helpful. And I'm sorry for the bad pics! But by what you and Yogi said it seems like you guys are right!
Posted via Mobile Device
LuckyTaylor is offline  
post #9 of 10 Old 10-13-2014, 03:46 AM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 19,824
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyTaylor View Post
they stayed dry all the time so in addition to putting lard on his hooves we also let his water tank over fill to make it muddy around that area to help moisturize them a little!
Dry is good! Hooves don't need 'moisturising'. Doing so with an oily product doesn't moisturise them anyway, only coats/seals the outside, and if there is any infection/cracks present, this isn't good - it's a much better environ for the bugs! Aside from if you live in the desert & hooves are seriously dry & hard, you may want to overflow that tank & tie the horses there for a few hrs before the farrier visits, I wouldn't worry about it. & save any other hoof goo for making them look purdy for a show or such

If your horse's hooves appear overly dry & 'shelly', it is most likely diet & nutrition. As with our own nails & hair, all the marketing of beauty products in the world is not going to mean a topical product makes your dead keratin any healthier, grow faster, etc. For that to happen, you need to 'feed' them appropriately.

Some info I've found helpful; [COLOR=Lime][B]www.horseforum.com/horse-health/hoof-lameness-info-horse-owners-89836/
For taking critique pics; [COLOR=Lime][B]https://www.horseforum.com/members/41...res-128437.jpg
loosie is offline  
post #10 of 10 Old 10-13-2014, 08:32 AM
Trained
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 6,024
• Horses: 0
Good hooves come from within like a good hair coat.

You weaken horse's feet when you try to add moisture or oil. Dry, hard feet are good, strong, do not bruise as easily and are not as prone to many hoof problems that soft, wet hooves are more subject to.
loosie and flytobecat like this.

visit us at www.wolferanch.com
Cherie is offline  
Reply

Tags
founder , hoof care , laminitis

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Laminitis or something else? lauraetco Hoof Care 9 09-03-2013 07:37 PM
Laminitis possible? kitten_Val Horse Health 12 04-24-2013 10:08 AM
Laminitis? SkyeAngel Horse Health 18 05-03-2011 01:52 PM
Laminitis??? SallyRC123 Horse Health 6 03-21-2010 10:57 PM
Laminitis?!! What?? rocky pony Horse Health 39 12-19-2009 12:35 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome