- Has anyone used Pentosan long term in a relatively young horse? Prophylactically?
- Is the loading dose necessary or can it be skipped if symptoms are minor?
- How often is needed to dose? I've read some horses need as often as every two weeks, most got a month or two, I've been one of every six months. How long can it stay active for?
- Cheapest place to get it in Canada? I can get a Rx from my vet(haven't priced it out from them yet)
- If shipping from the states, what are the odds of it being stopped at the boarder?
- Tell me your experiences and thoughts.
6yr old warmblood. Has had an easy start, in moderate work currently with trainer 4x a week. Has contracted tendons and fusing hocks. Vet recommended Legend or Adequan last fall when she saw his hock x-rays. Xrayed front feet Monday and again recommended either Adequan or Pentosan. Got hock injections last spring, current vet does not recommend a repeat. Has never been lame, but did move better after IA injections.
I'm wanting Pentosan to help keep him sound as long as possible with his preexisting conditions. It's my understanding that Adequan is in short supply, and Pentosan isn't approved for joint care in horses so it's harder to get in large doses.