Pre-Purchase Exam - is it necessary in all cases? - Page 4 - The Horse Forum
 14Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 40 Old 09-28-2011, 12:48 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Palmyra, Wisconsin
Posts: 6,161
• Horses: 4
To "buyer be aware" we may want to add "buyer be informed".
natisha is offline  
post #32 of 40 Old 09-28-2011, 12:49 PM
Foal
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: saskatchewan, Canada
Posts: 114
• Horses: 0
This is just my opinion, but you said you can't afford a PPE, and I think If you cant afford one yet you need to wait until you can before you get a horse, and have some money put away for vet bills as they will come, like every one else has experienced, we have had our fair share at spending thousands and thousand at the vet clinic. Just something to think about.
princess warrior is offline  
post #33 of 40 Old 09-28-2011, 12:52 PM
Foal
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: saskatchewan, Canada
Posts: 114
• Horses: 0
Kayty, sorry to hear how hugo is doing. My thoughts are with you.
BaileyJo likes this.
princess warrior is offline  
post #34 of 40 Old 09-28-2011, 08:36 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 8,193
• Horses: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by princess warrior View Post
Kayty, sorry to hear how hugo is doing. My thoughts are with you.
Thank you pw, means a lot. I've been quite a wreck over the last few weeks. Just can't bring myself to do it yet because he's such a special horse to me. He was going quite well a few months ago and I was considering bringing him back into light work. I don't have anything to ride at the moment so would have loved to even just trail ride him. But he's gone bad again, in the wet weather we've been having his unstable hock is making him more prone to injury. He's been getting bad muscles spasms over his back and through his hindquarters which my vet has advised is a result of the hock injury and general racehorse wear and tear.
He is on bute and anti imflams for now until I can bring myself to give my vet he go ahead. I have arranged with my partner to organise it for me, so that one day I'll come home from work and Hugo just won't be there. I'm usually pretty tough when it comes to these things, and I'm the first to say 'its just a horse, when they're gone they're gone, they don't know any different'. But I am just so attached to this boy that I am struggling terribly to make the call.

Sorry... going off track - I guess mine is just another good reason to get at the very least, a very thorough general vet check and xrays of the main joints. It'll save you the immense heart ache and financial burden that I'm going through now. Almost AU$10 000 and 15 months of trying every treatment under the sun later, and I am now facing having him PTS anyway.

Save yourself to pain of it, a few hundred dollars is nothing in comparisson to ongoing treatment for a pre-existing and permanent injury

~Horse & Hound Artistry~.

Website: www.horseandhoundartistry.com
Kayty is offline  
post #35 of 40 Old 09-29-2011, 11:38 AM
Showing
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: MD
Posts: 23,909
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by natisha View Post
To "buyer be aware" we may want to add "buyer be informed".
Very true!




"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass: it's about learning to dance in the rain..."

"When we are no longer able to change a situation - we are challenged to change ourselves."

"How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours."
kitten_Val is offline  
post #36 of 40 Old 09-29-2011, 05:28 PM
Foal
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 152
• Horses: 2
I didn't read all of the responses, but I have to say a PPE would definitely be a positive asset to purchasing a horse. At the very least you could possibly avert a lot of issues or feel more confident in the decision to buy. That being said, a PPE is a far cry from a "guarantee" and can start adding up in extra expenses in the event of multiple horses. I know many people who have purchased without one (in fact at least here its more of the norm not to) including myself with no issues at all. It is a higher risk but its at the buyers discretion, and there is nothing wrong with that. However I don't understand why people would bypass a PPE on a horse because of a low price tag. Doesn't vet care cost the same whether your horse was 300$ or 30k?
Posted via Mobile Device
atomic is offline  
post #37 of 40 Old 09-29-2011, 05:49 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Iowa
Posts: 6,082
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpersRule View Post
Yeah, you are right. It's just that we're not loaded with money (lol) and I know that PPEs can get expensive, especially if you get x-rays. Just a general exam of the vet looking him over really isn't worth it since he couldn't see problems deep down. I don't know...I'd rather take the risk then spend the money.
They could do a flexion test cheaply and that could tell you alot. My friend was selling a 25K horse and he passed everything but the flexion test. I think alot of it would depend on the price of the horse. It could seem sound because it could have been given some drugs.
churumbeque is offline  
post #38 of 40 Old 09-29-2011, 05:50 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Iowa
Posts: 6,082
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpersRule View Post
Ok, question....you should use a vet in the horse's are instead of your own, right? It would cost huge bucks to have my vet travel 2 hours away to do this stuff...
Just do not use the sellers vet
churumbeque is offline  
post #39 of 40 Old 09-29-2011, 09:09 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 713
• Horses: 2
Personally, I think it depends on what you're going to use the horse for and it's purchase price. I didn't do a PPE on my gelding, because it would have cost more than he did. It just wasn't worth it for me.

For my mare, I'm considering a basic exam just to rule out anything big. She's 16 years old, a retired racehorse and an ex-broodmare. I can only imagine what issues she might have, and I'd like to ease my mind a little bit. That said, she's going to cost me just under $1000 including the hauling fee and I plan to buy her regardless. So, I'm not sure what I'm going to do. I've already made up my mind to buy her because she's such a special horse to me, so I'm having a hard time justifying a $300+ PPE. Even if she turns out to be walk/trot sound only, that would be fine.
Courtney is offline  
post #40 of 40 Old 09-30-2011, 11:08 PM
Foal
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Beautiful rural NSW, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 163
• Horses: 2
As someone above suggested, don't buy the horse until you have saved enough money to pay for the PPE.

I think you should get as much info about the horse as you possibly can if you are serious about bringing him home. Horses depend on us to provide them with food, water, shelter etc. Taking on a new horse is a big commitment and you should be well informed. Good Luck :)

No matter what road I travel, I'm going home and if I'm riding a horse I am halfway there.
Day Mares is offline  
Reply

Tags
pre-purchase exam

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pre-Purchase Exam Eolith Horse Health 11 03-15-2011 03:01 PM
Pre-purchase exam horseluver250 Horse Health 3 08-16-2010 11:16 PM
pre-purchase vet exam? ThinkingOfRiding Horse Health 7 05-06-2010 12:25 AM
Out of State pre-purchase exam appylover31803 Horse Health 11 08-30-2008 11:47 AM
Pre -Purchase Exam Luv 2 Ride Horse Health 14 08-03-2008 06:27 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome