"Is it too hot to ride?" - Page 3 - The Horse Forum
 55Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 27 Old 06-12-2017, 12:51 AM
Started
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Virginia USA
Posts: 2,490
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamcatcher Arabians View Post
I used to ride from 5 am to 8 am everyday. There was a group of us who met up every morning for a ride. Sometimes we'd go out after 8 pm and ride in the moonlight too. But between 8 am & 8 pm, other than to check water, we didn't do much outside.
Haha, yes, there is always the die hard riders

I just can't drag myself out of bed early enough. Especially with the growing business DH and I run, our hours usually end up being later in the day, often staying up as late as 2am (our business is a creative type and we tend to write better at those hours).

Got up around 7:30, went outside, and said 'it's too hot!'. lol. I can handle a short 30-40 minute arena workout just before dark. Even early morning, I've found the sun just too intense for me, so it's better when it's setting and not directly on me anymore.

My whole family desires to leave the desert, so I don't think we will be permanent desert dwellers.

"You can do something wrong for thirty years and call yourself experienced, you can do something right for a week and experience more than someone who spent thirty years doing the wrong thing." ~WhattaTroublemaker
horseluvr2524 is offline  
post #22 of 27 Old 06-12-2017, 06:45 AM
Showing
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: OK
Posts: 13,550
• Horses: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by horseluvr2524 View Post
Haha, yes, there is always the die hard riders

I just can't drag myself out of bed early enough. Especially with the growing business DH and I run, our hours usually end up being later in the day, often staying up as late as 2am (our business is a creative type and we tend to write better at those hours).

Got up around 7:30, went outside, and said 'it's too hot!'. lol. I can handle a short 30-40 minute arena workout just before dark. Even early morning, I've found the sun just too intense for me, so it's better when it's setting and not directly on me anymore.

My whole family desires to leave the desert, so I don't think we will be permanent desert dwellers.
The early morning rides are one of the many things I miss about the desert. The cholla cactus? Not so much. I'll return someday.
horseluvr2524 likes this.

Dreamcatcher Arabians is offline  
post #23 of 27 Old 06-12-2017, 07:02 AM
Trained
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Canada
Posts: 6,583
• Horses: 2
Thought of this thread yesterday. It was 32 C (about 90 F) and 38% humidity. According to the chart, this is no problem for horses and riders - not even in the yellow! My daughter was supposed to haul to her coach's for a lesson, but the other rider's mom pulled out because of the heat. She's a nurse, and said the ER was full of people struggling with the heat. So we didn't go (the whole point of hauling there is for my daughter to ride with someone else). I would have gone, but I admit, that heat was pretty unbearable! I don't know how people cope with higher temps. Again, it has a lot to do with what your body is used to. Here, we rarely get this kind of heat so everyone is dying!

But we ride when it's -15 C no problem.
Acadianartist is offline  
post #24 of 27 Old 06-12-2017, 07:31 AM
Showing
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: OK
Posts: 13,550
• Horses: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadianartist View Post
Thought of this thread yesterday. It was 32 C (about 90 F) and 38% humidity. According to the chart, this is no problem for horses and riders - not even in the yellow! My daughter was supposed to haul to her coach's for a lesson, but the other rider's mom pulled out because of the heat. She's a nurse, and said the ER was full of people struggling with the heat. So we didn't go (the whole point of hauling there is for my daughter to ride with someone else). I would have gone, but I admit, that heat was pretty unbearable! I don't know how people cope with higher temps. Again, it has a lot to do with what your body is used to. Here, we rarely get this kind of heat so everyone is dying!

But we ride when it's -15 C no problem.
We do a New Year's Day ride here and some years I can ride in my shirt sleeves, others in a sweatshirt and then...I've done that ride when 6 F was the high for the day and of course, the wind never quits here so there was a wind chill on top of that. I practically needed a crane to get me up on the horse. I had so many clothes on I looked like the Michelin Tire Man. It was a fun ride and BOY did those Black Eyed Peas and Cornbread taste GREAT when we got done.

It's funny how we all acclimate to our various temperatures and humidities. I went back to the desert after moving out here and had nosebleeds for 3 weeks straight because it was so dry. Here in OK, we think it's dry when it's 40% humidity. It's already 72 F + 84% so = 156, in the danger zone, and we're going to be 90 F for a high today. 93 tomorrow. I get cold when it gets below 75 F.
Acadianartist likes this.

Dreamcatcher Arabians is offline  
post #25 of 27 Old 06-12-2017, 07:42 AM
Trained
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Canada
Posts: 6,583
• Horses: 2
Haha... that's funny @DreamCatcher ... I can relate to the Michelin man comment. However, as you can imagine, over the years I've built up a very nice wardrobe of winter riding clothes that provide lots of movement while keeping me warm. The wool base layer is the key for me. And a good riding coat that isn't too bulky.

I just find it easier to cope with cool temps because I can always add layers. In the heat, there's only so many layers you can remove!!!
anndankev likes this.
Acadianartist is offline  
post #26 of 27 Old 06-12-2017, 07:50 AM
Showing
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: OK
Posts: 13,550
• Horses: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadianartist View Post
Haha... that's funny @DreamCatcher ... I can relate to the Michelin man comment. However, as you can imagine, over the years I've built up a very nice wardrobe of winter riding clothes that provide lots of movement while keeping me warm. The wool base layer is the key for me. And a good riding coat that isn't too bulky.

I just find it easier to cope with cool temps because I can always add layers. In the heat, there's only so many layers you can remove!!!
Yeah, out here when it gets cold we start with thermals, then jeans & t-shirt & sweatshirt and then we start adding the various Carhartt layers. I had my heavy duty, good to -30F Carhartt Ova'hauls (overalls for those who speak the Queen's English) on, and I did OK. The best investment I ever made out here was my wind pants. It doesn't get cold enough often that I need my ova'hauls but I live in those wind pants! My Carhartt jacket is heavy duty and windproof so with a wool hat, gloves (I have YET to find gloves that really keep my hands warm) and my Bogs boots...I'm good for chores. Oh I also have a cool neoprene face mask , for when it's so windy you just can't stand for your face to be out unprotected.
anndankev and Acadianartist like this.

Dreamcatcher Arabians is offline  
post #27 of 27 Old 06-12-2017, 09:16 AM
Trained
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Central Hill Country Texas
Posts: 5,551
• Horses: 5
Woke up this morning and at 7 am it was 92% humidity and 75 degrees F. Breathing made you sweat. No AM riding today.
Acadianartist likes this.

“You spend your whole life with horses and just about the time you think you have them figured out, a horse comes along that tells you otherwise.” –quote from my very wizened trainer


Reiningcatsanddogs is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome