What it be? (Little gross) - Page 3 - The Horse Forum
 124Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 69 Old 08-22-2019, 07:04 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 10,062
• Horses: 0
I think, really think you need to act and get the vet involved now not later.
...
PoptartShop and ClearDonkey like this.

The worst day is instantly better when shared with my horse.....
horselovinguy is online now  
post #22 of 69 Old 08-22-2019, 07:04 PM
Started
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 1,666
• Horses: 0
In the one picture from today, looks like there is little rice like things in it. Does it seem to be itchy when you're cleaning it?

Out riding my horse.
rambo99 is online now  
post #23 of 69 Old 08-22-2019, 07:12 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Cariboo, British Columbia
Posts: 13,777
• Horses: 3
Yeah that looks like it would compromise structures underneath. For an open wound to just appear like that and you don't know the cause, if I were you, I would definitely be taking my horse to the vet.
Yogiwick likes this.

I am not here to promote anythingNo, that's not true, I am here to promote everything equestrian and everyone enjoying horses!
waresbear is offline  
post #24 of 69 Old 08-22-2019, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 25,264
• Horses: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by horselovinguy View Post
I think, really think you need to act and get the vet involved now not later.
...
The vet board I posted on didn't seem to think it was an emergency call and gave several different remedies to try. Because there is no fever, smell, swelling, and lameness. I will make the call by Saturday if I think I can't get it to heal on my own. I've owned and cared for horses for over 30 years so I'm not a newbie at it. I'm also not one to neglect a horse or skimp on vet bills as we all know Beauty's tendon injury cost over 6 grand and Blues Leukemia was nearly 4k, not to mention Rileys constant navicular care.

"Be a best friend, tell the truth, and overuse I love you
Go to work, do your best, don't outsmart your common sense
Never let your prayin knees get lazy
And love like crazy"
farmpony84 is offline  
post #25 of 69 Old 08-22-2019, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 25,264
• Horses: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo99 View Post
In the one picture from today, looks like there is little rice like things in it. Does it seem to be itchy when you're cleaning it?
She doesn't seem to mind to much, she stands pretty well. If I push on it she will pull it away but not jerk. I scrubbed it pretty good today. The first few times I just hosed it and kind of poured water over it gently because I was afraid it would hurt. I had it open the first several days. She also had a good gash on her neck that is healing nicely, plus a scrape on a back leg so it's possible she did something in the woods but it's just such an odd shape.

"Be a best friend, tell the truth, and overuse I love you
Go to work, do your best, don't outsmart your common sense
Never let your prayin knees get lazy
And love like crazy"
farmpony84 is offline  
post #26 of 69 Old 08-22-2019, 07:18 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,596
• Horses: 0
It looks like Pythiosis to me. That would be very serious as it is extremely difficult to treat.

https://www.lsuagcenter.com/profiles...e1507830652025

Be sure to download the article with pictures on the right hand side.

Any access to flooded pasture?
4horses is offline  
post #27 of 69 Old 08-22-2019, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 25,264
• Horses: 7
I don't think it is Pythiosis. I thought that at first as well but I did ask my mom to pick up some genitian violet tomorrow since she is retired and I have to work. My neighbor has been dealing with an injury very similar to this one and her vet told her to use the manuka honey on it. I have actually used that on a dogs injury before (the emergency vet prescribed it). When I went to my normal vet they switched us to household sugar.

"Be a best friend, tell the truth, and overuse I love you
Go to work, do your best, don't outsmart your common sense
Never let your prayin knees get lazy
And love like crazy"
farmpony84 is offline  
post #28 of 69 Old 08-22-2019, 08:50 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,206
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmpony84 View Post
Here are the first two photos treated with betadine and furasine (What I had at the time).

Here are the two from today. Now tonight I did antibacterial, antifungal, and a poultice so we will see what tomorrow looks like. If I'm not happy with my progress by Saturday then I will set something up.

The pictures from today are al little more close up and the angle is a bit different. I should have paid attention to that.
In the recent photos it looks more hydrated -- which is generally a good thing because moist wounds heal better as long as they're both clean and moist. But it doesn't look like it's changed other than that. I'd be getting someone out.
SteadyOn is offline  
post #29 of 69 Old 08-22-2019, 08:52 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,206
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmpony84 View Post
I don't think it is Pythiosis. I thought that at first as well but I did ask my mom to pick up some genitian violet tomorrow since she is retired and I have to work. My neighbor has been dealing with an injury very similar to this one and her vet told her to use the manuka honey on it. I have actually used that on a dogs injury before (the emergency vet prescribed it). When I went to my normal vet they switched us to household sugar.
Yikes!! I wouldn't go anywhere near gentian violet. It's potentially dangerous stuff. And there are alternatives out there. You need veterinary guidance because some topicals do a lot more harm than good.
SteadyOn is offline  
post #30 of 69 Old 08-22-2019, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 25,264
• Horses: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteadyOn View Post
In the recent photos it looks more hydrated -- which is generally a good thing because moist wounds heal better as long as they're both clean and moist. But it doesn't look like it's changed other than that. I'd be getting someone out.
The pix are only 1 day apart.

"Be a best friend, tell the truth, and overuse I love you
Go to work, do your best, don't outsmart your common sense
Never let your prayin knees get lazy
And love like crazy"
farmpony84 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome