What now - The Horse Forum
 14Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 09-11-2019, 12:56 AM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 76
• Horses: 0
No idea. And slowly spreading.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BA116FF9-4958-43E8-9967-BFB67F5E7533_1568177769243.jpg (57.3 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 2302CFC8-4E04-4DCD-857F-872D3F1E1B13_1568177787369.jpg (48.9 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 1BC6DC52-885F-4048-98B8-F77B34B63296_1568177806577.jpg (46.7 KB, 7 views)
BeckyFletcher is offline  
post #2 of 16 Old 09-11-2019, 06:29 AM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: SW UK
Posts: 14,802
• Horses: 0
It could well be a fungal infection.

I would suggest, before calling a vet to do a skin scrape, that you rub the areas with neat brown vinegar and see what happens.
Foxhunter is offline  
post #3 of 16 Old 09-11-2019, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 76
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxhunter View Post
It could well be a fungal infection.

I would suggest, before calling a vet to do a skin scrape, that you rub the areas with neat brown vinegar and see what happens.
I've been leaning towards fungus because he had a spot of ringworm that was just to the other side of where his cinch lays. I disinfected it with Lysol spray each time (all of his applicable tack) but stuff happens. I had a few knowledgeable people (not vets but work with horses for a living) say its just from fly/bug bites, sweat, or an allergy. But its spreading from the original source, not just coming up randomly. Some are kind of random, but it stems from the original two spots. You can just tell by looking at it. But now its covering a good majority of his front half. I don't think he's scratching them, he stands real good without moving around (and trust me, I'm no threat to him, he'd move if he had to! ha) and is eating fine. I'm just unsure if I should just use the human spray I had on his ringworm that worked REALLY good or if it should be more of like a bucket and a bath. He's outside in the rain today which stinks. I hate to keep him in though because I don't trust they do what needs to be done with him being inside. (thankfully he's moving in two days and I'm totally comfy with how it would work out better there concerning these one off situations... their care is sooo much better! ((for over $100 more a month of course!)) )


You scrape and then put it on or putting it on is part of the scrape? It seems that his hair turned blackish from his reddish brown, its not just under it on the skin.
BeckyFletcher is offline  
post #4 of 16 Old 09-11-2019, 11:48 AM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: SE Oklahoma
Posts: 2,931
• Horses: 8
I'm going with a form of rain rot and ringworm, not something scary and exotic. I'd curry it out, get as much dead skin and hair off as I could, get the area clean, and scrub it with a strong percentage iodine and possibly peroxide at the same time, let it set a few minutes, then rinse out, pat dry, keep clean. It should heal up just fine.


Alternatively - I've seen black cattle flies do this to my own horses in the heat of summer. Usually just scrubbing it clean, shampooing well, and letting it dry before a good fly spraying takes care of it.
BeckyFletcher likes this.

"We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that death will tremble to take us."
AtokaGhosthorse is offline  
post #5 of 16 Old 09-11-2019, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 76
• Horses: 0
With it covering a good majority of his front half now, basically a good scrub everywhere and treat it all after? I cannot see going in and trying to just hit the 'bad' spots as its spread pretty good now. I mean he has areas without it but his face, neck, and sides have it throughout. Nothing underneath or on top really yet. I'm fine spending the time to avoid the call. In fact Friday when he moves to where I work part time, I'm scheduled Fri-Tue and there anyways and then I always go out after my full time job so treating twice a day isn't an issue, its just getting to Friday with our current rain situation. They have a shelter in the paddock but they rotate in and out of it plus its humid. I don't trust him getting good food or water if left inside until he moves on Friday. They feed once when they bring them in at night but I'm leery about being in earlier unless they are ALL in. His new barn keeps them in too much and babies them a bit much and this one is opposite. I'll still do it twice a day but I'm not sure how good the morning one is the next two days as he will go right back out into rain. At night I keep him in when I leave as its only about thirty minutes until they all come in anyways.
BeckyFletcher is offline  
post #6 of 16 Old 09-11-2019, 12:40 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: SE Oklahoma
Posts: 2,931
• Horses: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckyFletcher View Post
With it covering a good majority of his front half now, basically a good scrub everywhere and treat it all after? I cannot see going in and trying to just hit the 'bad' spots as its spread pretty good now. I mean he has areas without it but his face, neck, and sides have it throughout. Nothing underneath or on top really yet. I'm fine spending the time to avoid the call. In fact Friday when he moves to where I work part time, I'm scheduled Fri-Tue and there anyways and then I always go out after my full time job so treating twice a day isn't an issue, its just getting to Friday with our current rain situation. They have a shelter in the paddock but they rotate in and out of it plus its humid. I don't trust him getting good food or water if left inside until he moves on Friday. They feed once when they bring them in at night but I'm leery about being in earlier unless they are ALL in. His new barn keeps them in too much and babies them a bit much and this one is opposite. I'll still do it twice a day but I'm not sure how good the morning one is the next two days as he will go right back out into rain. At night I keep him in when I leave as its only about thirty minutes until they all come in anyways.

He's going to need an all over scrubbing, yep. I had the same issue with Outback last year in October. She still had her baby-fur and it was long and it was thick, and had no signs of starting to shed out, even at 7 months old. So... yeah. That was a nightmare.


I recommend this thread, not because I started it but because this was my first rodeo with rain rot and excessive amounts of ringworm, and I needed help. I got some excellent advice... and this thread is why, when I see strong percentage iodine at our local salvage freight place, I stock up. Outback is clean and slick and healthy this summer, and I hope she stays that way, but it took the collective advice of folks here to help me get her that way.


Eqyiss, btw, makes an excellent shampoo for this sort of thing, and I also keep it on hand now as well. Just in case.
BeckyFletcher likes this.

"We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that death will tremble to take us."
AtokaGhosthorse is offline  
post #7 of 16 Old 09-11-2019, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 76
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtokaGhosthorse View Post
He's going to need an all over scrubbing, yep. I had the same issue with Outback last year in October. She still had her baby-fur and it was long and it was thick, and had no signs of starting to shed out, even at 7 months old. So... yeah. That was a nightmare.


I recommend this thread, not because I started it but because this was my first rodeo with rain rot and excessive amounts of ringworm, and I needed help. I got some excellent advice... and this thread is why, when I see strong percentage iodine at our local salvage freight place, I stock up. Outback is clean and slick and healthy this summer, and I hope she stays that way, but it took the collective advice of folks here to help me get her that way.


Eqyiss, btw, makes an excellent shampoo for this sort of thing, and I also keep it on hand now as well. Just in case.

It is a good thread! Trying to get proper names of products from it in between working. ha Is the Eqyiss found at Fleet or Tractor by chance?


An Aunt of mine who went to school for large animals but ended up a small animal tech and since gotten out of it completely, suggested Acanthosis Nigricans as the possible culprit but google keeps wanting to give me human and dog info on that one.
BeckyFletcher is offline  
post #8 of 16 Old 09-11-2019, 03:50 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: SW UK
Posts: 14,802
• Horses: 0
There are many different types of ringworm fungus and often we would get young TBs get a similar problem around e girth area.

We treated with all sorts of fungal creams which did clear it.

I learned about vinegar from a farming friend. I had gone to their place for a meal and realised I had a large area of ringworm on my arm (from moving their calves a couple of days prior)
Chris got up and went to the kitchen and placed some vinegar in front of me. I couldn't work out why as my meal didn't need vinegar. She told me to rub it on the ringworm.

By the time I got home, a couple of hours later, it had all but gone, I treated again and in the morning there was no sign of it.

I told my vet about it and when a horse, bought at a sale, came in smothered with ringworm, Boss told me to get the vet. I used his wash one side and vinegar the other. Guess which one cleared first?

Just scrape off the excess water and soak him with vinegar.
Foxhunter is offline  
post #9 of 16 Old 09-11-2019, 04:05 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: SE Oklahoma
Posts: 2,931
• Horses: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckyFletcher View Post
It is a good thread! Trying to get proper names of products from it in between working. ha Is the Eqyiss found at Fleet or Tractor by chance?


An Aunt of mine who went to school for large animals but ended up a small animal tech and since gotten out of it completely, suggested Acanthosis Nigricans as the possible culprit but google keeps wanting to give me human and dog info on that one.

I bought ours at TSC.
BeckyFletcher likes this.

"We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that death will tremble to take us."
AtokaGhosthorse is offline  
post #10 of 16 Old 09-11-2019, 05:09 PM
Foal
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 57
• Horses: 0
I have absolutely no experience with horse health issues, and no idea of dogs/horses can be similar, but...a while back my dog had mites and he developed these black patches on his skin that looked very similar (to the black patches on your horse) in areas where he was bitten by the mites. I thought he had a fungal infection, and tried to treat it like that and in our case it did not help because it was mites. The vet told me that it was not the mites as such that caused the black patches, but that it was a common reaction of the skin to the irritation. And once he was treated for mites and was all healthy again, his skin did go back to normal colour. So, if horses can be anything like dogs, it might also be a skin response to something that is not necessarily a fungal infection.
MeditativeRider is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome