Pre-Purchase Trial Contract Help - Page 2 - The Horse Forum
 76Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 21 Old 05-29-2019, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
Started
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,930
• Horses: 5
Okay, this is why I really, really don't like selling horses.

I discussed the trial period with the potential buyer and she said we would put 50% down and do the 30 day trial. Okay, fine I agreed to it (even though I KNOW I shouldn't have but I just want this pony to have a great home and they seem like such awesome people.)

I send them over the trial/purchase contract stating that the AGREED upon price of $1,500 was non-negotiable and the 50% deposit of $750 was to be given to me in cash or cashier's check before he leaves. I said they had two weeks to get a vet check and if it didn't go well they were to bring him back immediately and I would return their deposit. (Which to me sounds fair.) She wanted me to change the contract to state that should anything be found in the vet check we negotiate the price and change it. The price was already agreed upon before the vet check so in my mind that means no negotiation or am I incorrect in that thinking?

In the beginning these people sounded perfect but now something isn't feeling right. They want his paperwork when they take him for trial and I said no paperwork until he is paid in full. They want me to make the purchase price negotiable pending vet check when we had already agreed on the purchase price (which I think is a steal for what he is, personally.) before the contract was drawn up. We shook on the purchase price after a verbal discussion. My fear is they are playing games and trying to take him and 1) Lie and say that the vet says there's something wrong with him (when there isn't; he is sound and sane) in order to make me come down on the price or 2) Have a "free pony" to use for 30 days in their lesson pony only to send him back when the trial is done for whatever reason.

I don't know this just doesn't feel right anymore and quite frankly it is making me a little agitated. How do I address this properly without sounding like a royal pain in the behind? As mentioned above, he's cheap it's not like he is a $10K horse he's a sweet little backyard hunter pony that I can't stand to watch sit unused anymore.

Ugh I do not enjoy selling horses. That being said, anyone want a cute little pally pony?
AnitaAnne likes this.

~ Hope is never light years away ~
Phantomcolt18 is offline  
post #12 of 21 Old 05-29-2019, 05:36 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,705
• Horses: 0
If itís not feeling right to You Phantomcolt then back out of the deal. Donít think youíre being a jerk about it - itís your responsibility to get the best deal for both you and your horse.

FWIW, itís been my experience when one party starts mucking about like that it and tossing around additional clauses or changes theyíre going to be continually difficult and tricky to deal with. If you donít want to get involved with the ensuing headache, leave and donít feel bad in the least.

If you want you can say something to the effect ĎI have given this further thought and I have decided not to sell at this timeí. Just keep it simple and donít engage in a debate with them. Good luck.
Chevaux is offline  
post #13 of 21 Old 05-29-2019, 06:52 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Michigan
Posts: 319
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantomcolt18 View Post
Okay, this is why I really, really don't like selling horses.

I discussed the trial period with the potential buyer and she said we would put 50% down and do the 30 day trial. Okay, fine I agreed to it (even though I KNOW I shouldn't have but I just want this pony to have a great home and they seem like such awesome people.)

I send them over the trial/purchase contract stating that the AGREED upon price of $1,500 was non-negotiable and the 50% deposit of $750 was to be given to me in cash or cashier's check before he leaves. I said they had two weeks to get a vet check and if it didn't go well they were to bring him back immediately and I would return their deposit. (Which to me sounds fair.) She wanted me to change the contract to state that should anything be found in the vet check we negotiate the price and change it. The price was already agreed upon before the vet check so in my mind that means no negotiation or am I incorrect in that thinking?

In the beginning these people sounded perfect but now something isn't feeling right. They want his paperwork when they take him for trial and I said no paperwork until he is paid in full. They want me to make the purchase price negotiable pending vet check when we had already agreed on the purchase price (which I think is a steal for what he is, personally.) before the contract was drawn up. We shook on the purchase price after a verbal discussion. My fear is they are playing games and trying to take him and 1) Lie and say that the vet says there's something wrong with him (when there isn't; he is sound and sane) in order to make me come down on the price or 2) Have a "free pony" to use for 30 days in their lesson pony only to send him back when the trial is done for whatever reason.

I don't know this just doesn't feel right anymore and quite frankly it is making me a little agitated. How do I address this properly without sounding like a royal pain in the behind? As mentioned above, he's cheap it's not like he is a $10K horse he's a sweet little backyard hunter pony that I can't stand to watch sit unused anymore.

Ugh I do not enjoy selling horses. That being said, anyone want a cute little pally pony?

Remember - he is your horse still - say "Nope, this is the deal I'm willing to make". You don't have to negotiate with these people over a $1500 horse. Don't let them walk all over you and take advantage of you. You know what is best for your horse, and you have a bad feeling about these people; be the advocate of your horse and say no. There will be other buyers, especially if he is as broke as your say he is. You will find a perfect home for him, it may just take time!

Toofine - 1998 Half Arabian
Minnie - 2013 Morgan
ClearDonkey is offline  
post #14 of 21 Old 05-30-2019, 09:48 AM
Started
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 2,403
• Horses: 0
Back away now! something very similar to this happened to me. We had a pony we rescued from a bad situation. He had been foundered and we rehabbed him and my 4 young kids rode him. When they lost interest I put him up for sale. I was very honest that he needed frequent trims and to stay off of grass. I had a lady come out with a friend. They brought 4 or 5 kids with them. All of them road Scotty with no issues, we discussed in detail his care (and in email before they came to look) the lady buying him was a police officer and buying him for her daughters 4th birthday. I agreed to a 2 week trial with final approval after 1 week by her farrier. She left me a check for the full price. 1 week goes by and I did not hear from her so I called - her farrier had OK'd Scotty for riding and said he was good to go. Week 2 comes and I try to cash the check - she had put a stop payment on it. I tried to call and email her for another week. I was freaking out. I get home from work one day and there is Scotty tied to our fence. I don't know how long he stood there before I got home. He had lost weight and his feet were sore. I called and emailed again and finally had to threaten to contact her supervisor. She then proceeded to tell me that Scotty was NOT sound and her daughter never got to ride him. After looking at my poor pony and having the vet out we came to the conclusion that they had ridden him - A LOT until he was so sore he could not walk. So it would seem they brought him home used him for pony rides until he was sore and then brought him back. It was just sad all around.

Back away from these buyers!
carshon is offline  
post #15 of 21 Old 05-30-2019, 11:19 AM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: SW UK
Posts: 14,560
• Horses: 0
Off you do not know these people what is to stop them driving off with the pony for you to never see it again?

Go with your gut feeling, it rarely lets yo down.
Foxhunter is offline  
post #16 of 21 Old 05-30-2019, 01:06 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 7,137
• Horses: 3
Sounds fishy to me. No, no, and just no. You are already allowing them to push you around by changing the parameters that you were comfortable with.


And taking his papers? You've got to be kidding me.


A PPE vet check ideally should be done before a trial starts anyway.



Tell them you've changed your mind and either they outright BUY him, or they can look somewhere else. No trial.


Personally, I don't like doing a trial with a living breathing animal, either from the buying side or the selling side. Too many things can happen.

∞ē*˚ Βгįťţαňγ ˚*ē∞
It is not enough to know how to ride; one must know how to fall.
beau159 is offline  
post #17 of 21 Old 05-30-2019, 02:29 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: middle of nowhere
Posts: 3,014
• Horses: 3
Nope, absolutely not. This stinks all over. They pay the full price for the pony with a 5-10 day period in which he can be returned if he is not satisfactory, or they don't get him at all. If they're worried about a vet check, that should be done while the horse is still in your possession. There is also no reason you need to offer a trial at all, either.

For a $1500 horse, a trial and vet check is kind of ridiculous anyways.... the vet check will cost nearly half the purchase price if they do decent radiographs. If they want to do a PPE, it's called a 'pre purchase exam' for a reason. It's done before money changes hands. It sounds to me like they want to take him on trial, have their vet find something wrong with him, and offer $750 or disappear altogether leaving you with half your money and no pony. Nope. Nope, nope, nope. BAD feeling about this. He's your pony; trust your gut.

I hate trials unless it's to a person I personally know and trust to be honest and care for that horse. Anyone else, no way-- even so, the trial is for a few days. Too much can happen in two weeks. That's putting a living animal at risk, and it rarely ends well. What usually happens is that they return the horse the last day in poor condition and with training issues you now have to fix. Just....no.

The whole situation sounds fishy. Walk away from this one, and relist the horse for sale with firm terms. $1500 firm, horse sold as-is, vet check at buyer's expense welcome. Even if the vet finds something, that does not mean you are required to lower the price. That's for the buyer to decide-- do they still want the horse at that price or not. If you want to haggle, fine, but don't give a nice pony away. Good ponies bring good prices. Stick to your guns to find a good home for this nice pony.
SilverMaple is offline  
post #18 of 21 Old 05-30-2019, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
Started
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,930
• Horses: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverMaple View Post
Nope, absolutely not. This stinks all over. They pay the full price for the pony with a 5-10 day period in which he can be returned if he is not satisfactory, or they don't get him at all. If they're worried about a vet check, that should be done while the horse is still in your possession. There is also no reason you need to offer a trial at all, either.

For a $1500 horse, a trial and vet check is kind of ridiculous anyways.... the vet check will cost nearly half the purchase price if they do decent radiographs. If they want to do a PPE, it's called a 'pre purchase exam' for a reason. It's done before money changes hands. It sounds to me like they want to take him on trial, have their vet find something wrong with him, and offer $750 or disappear altogether leaving you with half your money and no pony. Nope. Nope, nope, nope. BAD feeling about this. He's your pony; trust your gut.

I hate trials unless it's to a person I personally know and trust to be honest and care for that horse. Anyone else, no way-- even so, the trial is for a few days. Too much can happen in two weeks. That's putting a living animal at risk, and it rarely ends well. What usually happens is that they return the horse the last day in poor condition and with training issues you now have to fix. Just....no.

The whole situation sounds fishy. Walk away from this one, and relist the horse for sale with firm terms. $1500 firm, horse sold as-is, vet check at buyer's expense welcome. Even if the vet finds something, that does not mean you are required to lower the price. That's for the buyer to decide-- do they still want the horse at that price or not. If you want to haggle, fine, but don't give a nice pony away. Good ponies bring good prices. Stick to your guns to find a good home for this nice pony.
You put into words what I could not! And I bolded in your response what my main thought was of what would happen. They seemed perfect. Trainer came out, barn owner came out, three of their lesson kids came with them. They worked with him for over an hour and loved him. If they liked him that much they would have bought him then right? I'm scared they're going to use the heck out of him and bring him back ruined when it took me SO long to get this boy where he is. I took him from terrified of people (to the point of shaking like a leaf and peeing himself) to a kid safe, happy little hunter!

I told her I would like her to put 100% of purchase price up before he goes on trial and she responded with "Well I'll put down half." They seemed like nice people so I agreed but now they're trying to change EVERYTHING and it's making me nervous.

Thank you guys so much. I am not even listing him for sale because I am picky about where he goes I just kind of respond to in search of ads as of right now. I just want him to have a home (preferably in a lesson barn) where he will be loved and spoiled on and USED. He's 13 years old and just a pretty pasture ornament because I don't have the time that he deserves.

~ Hope is never light years away ~
Phantomcolt18 is offline  
post #19 of 21 Old 05-31-2019, 10:51 AM
Trained
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 7,137
• Horses: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantomcolt18 View Post

I told her I would like her to put 100% of purchase price up before he goes on trial and she responded with "Well I'll put down half." They seemed like nice people so I agreed but now they're trying to change EVERYTHING and it's making me nervous.

Next time that happens, say "I'm sorry, but I said I require 100% of the purchase price." Period. Your horse, your terms.


Some people are good at manipulating others. Stand your ground.


(But I agree that you need to pass on this one, for reasons mentioned above!!)

∞ē*˚ Βгįťţαňγ ˚*ē∞
It is not enough to know how to ride; one must know how to fall.
beau159 is offline  
post #20 of 21 Old 05-31-2019, 12:08 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Southeast
Posts: 7,566
• Horses: 0
Agree with the others; a PPE is done before the pony is purchased at the buyers expense.

Do not allow these people to push you around, for your pony's well being. You must be his advocate.

Personally I would not want one of my animals to go to a lesson barn as a lesson horse/pony. Those places tend to use them up then send them to the auction/slaughter when they are no longer able to keep up with a grueling schedule.

It is not a good life for an equine to be ridden hard everyday by multiple people often jerking on the poor animals mouth and bouncing on their back.

It ages them quickly
Chevaux, JCnGrace and carshon like this.
AnitaAnne is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pre-Weaning Foal Purchase Contract Question countryryder Horse Talk 2 07-15-2015 10:33 AM
PPE: Pre or Post Trial? Avonde Horse Health 6 09-10-2013 11:03 PM
Need help with a contract... not sure what type of contract it would fall under thoug mpleasance Horse Law 12 03-02-2012 07:52 PM
Question about pre-purchase trial period tx6756 Horse Law 6 10-11-2011 11:47 AM
Trial or no trial? appylover31803 Horse Talk 11 05-08-2009 04:02 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome