1. Well bless that Old Sweetie’s heart - developing healthy critter feeds. It’s also a very smart move on his part since he can’t keep wrangling feisty cattle, pigs, etc.:)
2. What I like best is that his formula is FIXED.
. There are not too many feed companies (including Purina) who used fixed formulas. Not using a fixed formula means they can throw anything I. There to get to their guaranteed analysis.
3. It looks like he has three types of horse feed. I only looked at the ingredients for one. https://petfoodstation.com/products/...e-layer-feed-5
3.1. It does have “The three aminos”, albeit I’m guessing two are in trace amounts.
3.2. It is an established fact, the first three named ingredients if ANY feed equal the highest amount of “stuff” in the bag.
3.3. Ferrous Sulfate is so far down the list, it likely would not have any effect at all on a horse without metabolic issues.
3.3.1. If a person wanted to feed this feed, it would be prudent to call the 800 number in the feed bag and tell them you want to know the PPM amount of ferrous sulfate per recommended feeding amount
, and decide from that if you want to feed it.
3.4. The write-up also calls this feed “calorie dense”. At least on this particular model; maybe the other two types of feed have less calorie, but that’s another question I would ask if Imwere feeding easy keepers.
This feed and the other two may be geared toward hard keepers and could be a great thing for people trying to get weight on skinny horses.
4. Is it something I would feed? No, lollollol. That is because I have an IR horse who does not need even a smidgen of ferrous sulfate, nor does he need something that says it’s “calorie dense”.
5. The feed is expensive BUT you get what you pay for and the “fixed formula” is worth paying for.
If the feeding instructions were there, I didn’t see them. Being “calorie dense” should mean it wouldn’t take as much of this feed which, in turn, should mean a cost savings.
. I think it’s a good quality product for the average healthy horse and will probably do well since anyone who doesn’t like Dr. Pol has a problem:):)