Chair seat (and more) Help! - The Horse Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Feathers7
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 10-15-2019, 12:23 AM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 1
• Horses: 0
I am back into riding after a few years (and a baby) off. I realize I developed some pretty awful habits when I first started riding (thrusting with my seat, chronic chair position, and turned out toes) to name a few. I’m sure you will see them all here. I am posting this video in the hopes that someone might have some pointers for me. Anything might help. Thank you!....edited to add that I can’t upload the video 😞

Last edited by Mellbomb; 10-15-2019 at 12:29 AM.
Mellbomb is offline  
post #2 of 3 Old 10-15-2019, 01:47 AM
Trained
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Australia
Posts: 6,693
• Horses: 4
Try youtube for the video, you can set it so that only people with the link can see it if you don't want all of youtube being able to find it. :)

With the chair seat and thrusting, first off, get a professional to check the fit of your saddle. I had chronic chair seat for YEARS and then had a saddle fitter who also does bodywork fit my mare's saddle. All of a sudden, no more chair seat. I still thrust but nowhere near as badly.

Try to engage your core fully. That is, tuck your bum under you, try to touch your shoulder blades together, and pretend like you're touching your belly button to your spine. You should feel your back AND your tummy engage, and your obliques too. 90% of riding comes from your core (the other 10% is legs). Babies mess with core strength so don't feel bad if you can't hold it long or don't get it right away!

Pilates (especially the plank) and yoga are brilliant for balance, flexibility, and core strength/stability.

I've also noticed that with my core engaged it's MUCH easier to keep my hands where they should be.

I would say the majority of bad riding habits in ALL people come from lack of correct core engagement. Including my own bad habits.

REGAL PRINCESS
blue eyed pony is offline  
post #3 of 3 Old 10-15-2019, 03:18 AM
Foal
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 221
• Horses: 0
Yeah, I second the saddle adjustment. We have a fitter here who will buy saddles and resell them so that she ensures the fit is right, and she can reflock and or make other recommendations, such as a 'shimmable' pad. Given your body changes (and any your horse might have gone through), it's probably time to have a look at all of that.

I post these everywhere, but if you'd like to get yourself back into shape gently, here's a site full of 'dressage rider' (everybody...) exercises.
https://dressageridertraining.com/category/stability/
https://dressageridertraining.com/category/suppleness/

You can also get leg strength back by riding on a lunge without stirrups. Even at the walk, it can help you get your longer leg, balance, and muscle back. A few lessons with an instructor might help you get your feel back.
blue eyed pony likes this.

No diet, no hoof. No hoof, no horse. No horse is not an option!
Feathers7 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome