Gridwork & X-Country (Videos) - The Horse Forum
 20Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 07-02-2019, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
Weanling
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Australia
Posts: 279
• Horses: 2
Gridwork & X-Country (Videos)

Finally worked out how to get the video working! I'm not very technologically adept lol.

I haven't done much jumping, as I'm sure is evident in the video. I seem to 'flop' over the jumps and bump back into the saddle. Unsure as to how to fix this though, as whenever I try I end up going into 2-point too early, which is more dangerous as Ninja tends to look at jumps before going over them and I would probably go straight over his head. Any exercises to help with that?

Also when he was going over the jumps, he picked his legs up one at a time. Do you all know if this is because of lack of impulsion (my fault), approaching in trot, or just inexperience jumping? Or the jumps being quite small?

Cross country was pretty simple, only had a couple of videos (accidentally put 2 of the same video in, sorry!). It was his first cross country outing, and I've never had a good cross country experience, so the instructor didn't want to overface either of us. I tried to put some photos in but it didn't work, sorry!

As always, all input is appreciated!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2407.jpg (194.3 KB, 3 views)

duskexx is offline  
post #2 of 21 Old 07-03-2019, 02:41 AM
Showing
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 47,771
• Horses: 2
What kind of saddle is that? It looks a bit like a dressage saddle. And, aren't your calves bothered by the stirrup leathers? Pinching you.

You don't seem to fit that saddle very well. Kind of like you are lost in it, instead of being connected to it
tinyliny is offline  
post #3 of 21 Old 07-03-2019, 02:46 AM
Showing
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Cariboo, British Columbia
Posts: 13,934
• Horses: 3
You two look like you're having a lot of fun.

I am not here to promote anythingNo, that's not true, I am here to promote everything equestrian and everyone enjoying horses!
waresbear is offline  
post #4 of 21 Old 07-03-2019, 02:50 AM
Foal
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 95
• Horses: 0
I am very inexperienced as I am a beginner rider myself. But I am just learning to go over small jumps and the way I am taught, I have to go into two point before the jump and hold it over it. Can you try doing that? If you are in two point properly I don't see how you would go over his head. I always feel very steady in two point with my weight down in my heels.
MeditativeRider is offline  
post #5 of 21 Old 07-03-2019, 03:08 AM Thread Starter
Weanling
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Australia
Posts: 279
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyliny View Post
What kind of saddle is that? It looks a bit like a dressage saddle. And, aren't your calves bothered by the stirrup leathers? Pinching you.

You don't seem to fit that saddle very well. Kind of like you are lost in it, instead of being connected to it
It is a dressage saddle. That's the saddle he came with, it only cost like $200 extra and it fits him really well. I can't afford a jumping saddle yet, and even if I could my dad doesn't want to get one because I can still jump in the dressage. I dunno what's happening with the stirrup leathers, for some reason when I shorten them they got twisted. They're fine when they're at the dressage length.

I don't quite get what you mean with not fitting the saddle? But I've also only ridden in the saddles that come with the horses, so I probably don't know what it feels like to have a well fitted saddle (for the rider)

Thank you for your help

duskexx is offline  
post #6 of 21 Old 07-03-2019, 03:10 AM Thread Starter
Weanling
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Australia
Posts: 279
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeditativeRider View Post
I am very inexperienced as I am a beginner rider myself. But I am just learning to go over small jumps and the way I am taught, I have to go into two point before the jump and hold it over it. Can you try doing that? If you are in two point properly I don't see how you would go over his head. I always feel very steady in two point with my weight down in my heels.
It's not for if he goes over the jump well that I'll fall. It's just that often before a jump he'll stop and sniff it, so if I go into 2-point before he's already jumping, I might fall off or at the very least become unbalanced once he actually does go over. Sorry if that explanation doesn't make sense, I don't really know how to word it.

duskexx is offline  
post #7 of 21 Old 07-03-2019, 03:17 AM
Showing
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 47,771
• Horses: 2
Ok. It is a dressage saddle. It looks kind of big for you. The fla p comes way down to your lower calf.
It's much harder to sustain two point in a dressage saddle. Why don't you ride dressage?
tinyliny is offline  
post #8 of 21 Old 07-03-2019, 03:43 AM
Foal
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 187
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by duskexx View Post
It is a dressage saddle. That's the saddle he came with, it only cost like $200 extra and it fits him really well. I can't afford a jumping saddle yet, and even if I could my dad doesn't want to get one because I can still jump in the dressage.
This is probably a big part of your problem. While you can do two point in any saddle, a dressage saddle doesn't put you in a great position for jumping. Yes, you can jump in a dressage saddle but for someone like you who has little jumping experience it isn't doing you any favors. The reason people jump in a forward flap saddle is because that allows for you to have the open hip required to follow a horse over a jump. Could you maybe borrow a saddle from someone for a little while if you aren't able to buy one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by duskexx View Post
I haven't done much jumping, as I'm sure is evident in the video. I seem to 'flop' over the jumps and bump back into the saddle. Unsure as to how to fix this though, as whenever I try I end up going into 2-point too early, which is more dangerous as Ninja tends to look at jumps before going over them and I would probably go straight over his head. Any exercises to help with that?
What I see (and what you describe) is you getting left behind at jumps. I suspect this is because the dressage saddle doesn't allow for the position that would better aid you as a beginner. And so you seem to be having trouble staying in timing with your horse. This might not be what you want to hear, but I'll give my two cents. Honestly, the best way I can think of to fix this is, at a minimum, ride in an AP or jumping saddle and maintain your two-point for a few strides before and after jumps. Of course you don't want to go over his head should he refuse, but it's going to be hard for you to really improve without good balance in two point. I agree that some horses you have to sit on when approaching jumps, like my own hothead, though usually that isn't the way you learn because it's easy to get left behind as you are riding that way. Your stirrups also look a hair long. Not sure if you'd be comfortable in that saddle shortening them, though. Gymnastics are also good for developing timing and balance.

While I have jumped small stuff in a dressage saddle as well, I don't recommend it. If lacking an AP or CC saddle, I will jump bareback over the choice of using an unideal saddle. You really can't beat a good forward flap saddle for work over fences though I get that you have to work with what you have. Maybe someone else will have other suggestions for you on possible solutions without lots of two-point, which is all I can offer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duskexx View Post
Also when he was going over the jumps, he picked his legs up one at a time. Do you all know if this is because of lack of impulsion (my fault), approaching in trot, or just inexperience jumping? Or the jumps being quite small?
It could be all of these things. My own horse get's lazy with smaller jumps and doesn't pick up his feet. The bigger the jump is, the neater he is with his knees. Anything under about 2ft he tends to be uneven with his knees, and also when he's not got enough impulsion. Some horses are also just not tidy with their legs. It could simply be his style. Gymnastics can help teach a horse to be neat and pick up their feet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duskexx View Post
Cross country was pretty simple, only had a couple of videos (accidentally put 2 of the same video in, sorry!). It was his first cross country outing, and I've never had a good cross country experience, so the instructor didn't want to overface either of us.
He at least looks pretty relaxed here, for it being his first x-country outing. That's a good thing.
tinyliny likes this.

Last edited by InexcessiveThings; 07-03-2019 at 03:48 AM.
InexcessiveThings is offline  
post #9 of 21 Old 07-03-2019, 04:05 AM Thread Starter
Weanling
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Australia
Posts: 279
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyliny View Post
Ok. It is a dressage saddle. It looks kind of big for you. The fla p comes way down to your lower calf.
It's much harder to sustain two point in a dressage saddle. Why don't you ride dressage?
I do ride primarily ride dressage, I just want to do jumping too.

duskexx is offline  
post #10 of 21 Old 07-03-2019, 05:19 AM Thread Starter
Weanling
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Australia
Posts: 279
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by InexcessiveThings View Post
This is probably a big part of your problem. While you can do two point in any saddle, a dressage saddle doesn't put you in a great position for jumping. Yes, you can jump in a dressage saddle but for someone like you who has little jumping experience it isn't doing you any favors. The reason people jump in a forward flap saddle is because that allows for you to have the open hip required to follow a horse over a jump. Could you maybe borrow a saddle from someone for a little while if you aren't able to buy one?
I don't know anyone who has one, but I'll see if we can dig out an all-purpose saddle that'll fit him. All of our horses have dressage saddles though, it's only the ponies with all-purpose ones. We might have an old saddle? I'll check tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InexcessiveThings View Post
What I see (and what you describe) is you getting left behind at jumps. I suspect this is because the dressage saddle doesn't allow for the position that would better aid you as a beginner. And so you seem to be having trouble staying in timing with your horse. This might not be what you want to hear, but I'll give my two cents. Honestly, the best way I can think of to fix this is, at a minimum, ride in an AP or jumping saddle and maintain your two-point for a few strides before and after jumps. Of course you don't want to go over his head should he refuse, but it's going to be hard for you to really improve without good balance in two point. I agree that some horses you have to sit on when approaching jumps, like my own hothead, though usually that isn't the way you learn because it's easy to get left behind as you are riding that way. Your stirrups also look a hair long. Not sure if you'd be comfortable in that saddle shortening them, though. Gymnastics are also good for developing timing and balance.
He also has a dressage saddle, but my mum has an schoolmaster who loves jumping and will go over anything you point him at. The only thing is that he has a really high wither so there aren't any other saddles that will fit him. It would be better to ride him to practice my timing and position, and if the saddles won't fit Ninja I might try that anyway.
Also, I shortened it another 2 holes for cross country, so they were a bit short.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InexcessiveThings View Post
If lacking an AP or CC saddle, I will jump bareback over the choice of using an unideal saddle.
I was looking at getting a bareback pad for Ninja, cos he was getting irritated when I was riding him bareback. I'm anticipating a lot of tumbles, but if nothing else works out at the very least it'll help my balance. Definitely wouldn't go straight to jumping though lol.

Thanks for all your hep & suggestions!

duskexx is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome