Cleaning Western Pleasure Attire - The Horse Forum
 11Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 12-30-2019, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 10
• Horses: 0
Cleaning Western Pleasure Attire

I'm still pretty new to the western pleasure world and I have a breed level horsemanship jacket and was wondering how to go about cleaning it. There's nothing just horrible about it, it's just been worn in a dusty arena and the white isn't exactly white anymore.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
Foreverry is offline  
post #2 of 11 Old 12-30-2019, 10:58 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: A good place
Posts: 8,277
• Horses: 0
I take it there is no "Directions for Care" or anything, huh?

I guess to be safe I'd take it to a dry cleaners. Especially if it is a jacket/coat with a lining.

If that is not possible, I'd soak it in a cold water hand wash detergent. (Something like Woolite). I'd soak it in that. Rinse it gently and thoroughly. Dab as much moisture as I could with towels, and hang it to dry. When I hung it, I'd pull the material and along the seams to straighten it as much as possible. Or "block" it on an absorbant, flat surface (if you don't have a drying rack).
ClearDonkey and Foreverry like this.
boots is offline  
post #3 of 11 Old 12-31-2019, 09:15 AM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 25,559
• Horses: 7
I usually take my western shirts and jackets to the drycleaners and they come out fine.
waresbear likes this.

"Be a best friend, tell the truth, and overuse I love you
Go to work, do your best, don't outsmart your common sense
Never let your prayin knees get lazy
And love like crazy"
farmpony84 is offline  
post #4 of 11 Old 12-31-2019, 09:42 AM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 10
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by boots View Post
I take it there is no "Directions for Care" or anything, huh?



I guess to be safe I'd take it to a dry cleaners. Especially if it is a jacket/coat with a lining.



If that is not possible, I'd soak it in a cold water hand wash detergent. (Something like Woolite). I'd soak it in that. Rinse it gently and thoroughly. Dab as much moisture as I could with towels, and hang it to dry. When I hung it, I'd pull the material and along the seams to straighten it as much as possible. Or "block" it on an absorbant, flat surface (if you don't have a drying rack).
Not at all, it's likely to have been done by a designer. No tags or marks and it's either altered or a custom. I bought it used and am unsure of which designer it would be though.

We tried to go the dry cleaners route, not a single one around will take it.

I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable soaking this jacket as has hundreds of crystals unless that's something that's normally done on them and is safe. I feel so clueless but I definitely don't want to harm this jacket. It's missing a few stones and that's enough to scare me.

Here's a couple of photos of it to get an idea of just what I'm talking about though the off-color is a little more noticeable in person than in the pictures. It's the strip and shoulders that worry me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
boots and ClearDonkey like this.
Foreverry is offline  
post #5 of 11 Old 12-31-2019, 10:11 AM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 10,885
• Horses: 0
Its very pretty and obviously a custom-made creation.
If those stones and adornments are really affixed they would have either a knot of thread or some sort of seen backing piece to them, otherwise they are glued on...
If that is a fully lined jacket you would still "feel" the backing piece or knot through the thin silky lining material...otherwise if not lined you understand by what you do or don't see why the answer was "No" to cleaning it.

That is I bet a spot-clean only article of clothing...
Something to research online for products or you could ask a dry-cleaning store and or a seamstress what they could suggest.
No one, no company is going to want to take on a project such as that jacket with stones and decorations such as it has...can't blame them either.
...
boots, ClearDonkey and Foreverry like this.

The worst day is instantly better when shared with my horse.....
horselovinguy is offline  
post #6 of 11 Old 12-31-2019, 10:18 AM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: A good place
Posts: 8,277
• Horses: 0
^^^ I agree!

Beautiful work on that jacket!
Foreverry likes this.
boots is offline  
post #7 of 11 Old 12-31-2019, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 10
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by horselovinguy View Post
Its very pretty and obviously a custom-made creation.
If those stones and adornments are really affixed they would have either a knot of thread or some sort of seen backing piece to them, otherwise they are glued on...
If that is a fully lined jacket you would still "feel" the backing piece or knot through the thin silky lining material...otherwise if not lined you understand by what you do or don't see why the answer was "No" to cleaning it.

That is I bet a spot-clean only article of clothing...
Something to research online for products or you could ask a dry-cleaning store and or a seamstress what they could suggest.
No one, no company is going to want to take on a project such as that jacket with stones and decorations such as it has...can't blame them either.
...
The majority of stones are just glued on, however, some of the bigger adornments are sewn, hence why most cleaning procedures make me nervous around it. There's no lining to it, the black at the bottom is the entire base.

You're most likely right about the spot clean only, most things I've found online have said to just contact the designer. I'll probably have to do some digging. Part of me wonders if the products they use to clean pageant dresses might work.

Oh, I definitely don't blame them for not taking the project on, and I'd definitely rather them just say no on the front end than mess it up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
Foreverry is offline  
post #8 of 11 Old 12-31-2019, 02:17 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: OK
Posts: 13,767
• Horses: 9
A jacket like that is very expensive to have made and they're not wanting the liability. I'd contact the designer (if you can find the info) and go from there. If you can't find the designer, then I would take a dry toothbrush to the areas that are looking dingy and see if you can remove most of the grime that way. Is the white part fabric or leather?

Dreamcatcher Arabians is offline  
post #9 of 11 Old 12-31-2019, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 10
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamcatcher Arabians View Post
A jacket like that is very expensive to have made and they're not wanting the liability. I'd contact the designer (if you can find the info) and go from there. If you can't find the designer, then I would take a dry toothbrush to the areas that are looking dingy and see if you can remove most of the grime that way. Is the white part fabric or leather?
I never thought about using a toothbrush. The dingy white is a heavier fabric (the same material as the stuff at the bottom), the bright white is leather.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
Foreverry is offline  
post #10 of 11 Old 12-31-2019, 03:40 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 8,316
• Horses: 12
The Mardi Gras season here is starting which means beaded everything. Most either spot wash or hand wash. With multiple colors used hopefully they were prewashed before the design was applied and they are color fast. Forever New is the recommended detergent for most and what most of us use. Other than that protection is the key.



For a show shirt worn in an arena I would think using a powder brush (clean, scrupulously clean) to remove dust would work. A few I know use a blow dryer no heat setting to blow the dust off. To me that would just drive it further in but for them it works. Once all dust is removed then wipe with a damp cloth. Wear a thin absorbent shirt underneath to keep sweat off and use stain liners.
Foreverry likes this.

Some horse people change their horse, they change their tack and discipline, they change their instructor; they never change themselves.
QtrBel is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome