Show halter for morgan for western showmanship - The Horse Forum
 9Likes
  • 1 Post By karibowe
  • 2 Post By Avna
  • 2 Post By Dreamcatcher Arabians
  • 1 Post By SilverMaple
  • 2 Post By beau159
  • 1 Post By Dreamcatcher Arabians
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 10-06-2018, 09:33 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1
• Horses: 0
Show halter for morgan for western showmanship

Hi -

My daughter shows her Morgan horse at high school equestrian meets (its a sport at her high school). In the rule book it says for showmanship that they horse equipment is breed specific. She was showing in Western Showmanship and they told her her show halter was incorrect. I tried searching to see what was the breed specific show halter for a morgan horse but could not find anything. Does anyone know what a morgan western show halter should look like?

Thanks.

Kari
KigerQueen likes this.
karibowe is offline  
post #2 of 8 Old 10-06-2018, 10:16 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: OK
Posts: 13,393
• Horses: 9
From looking through the rule book it doesn't appear that they have any such classes. They have in hand classes but nothing called Showmanship and most of the horses appear to be shown in a bridle with bit. So not sure what they want you to do about that.

Dreamcatcher Arabians is offline  
post #3 of 8 Old 10-09-2018, 03:31 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Western Massachusetts
Posts: 5,411
• Horses: 3
If Showmanship is shown in hand, how is it Western? You wear cowboy boots and a cowboy hat?
KigerQueen and JoBlueQuarter like this.

Short horse lover
Avna is online now  
post #4 of 8 Old 10-09-2018, 05:02 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: OK
Posts: 13,393
• Horses: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avna View Post
If Showmanship is shown in hand, how is it Western? You wear cowboy boots and a cowboy hat?
On the open circuit it's considered western and there are certain outfits that are called "showmanship" jackets and such. When I showed this summer, I wore a Western shirt, jeans & my Western hat. That was acceptable at the county fair level. The horses wore Stock style show halters, didn't matter what breed we were showing. So my Saddlebred wore the same halter the Quarter Horses did. I don't know what the judge in the OPs post is thinking.
KigerQueen and JoBlueQuarter like this.

Dreamcatcher Arabians is offline  
post #5 of 8 Old 10-09-2018, 06:23 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: middle of nowhere
Posts: 2,703
• Horses: 3
The kids that show non-stock breeds in Showmanship around here use a leather halter with no silver. Not sure if that's standard, but it seems to work for them.
KigerQueen likes this.
SilverMaple is offline  
post #6 of 8 Old 10-09-2018, 07:06 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 7,075
• Horses: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by karibowe View Post

My daughter shows her Morgan horse at high school equestrian meets (its a sport at her high school). In the rule book it says for showmanship that they horse equipment is breed specific. She was showing in Western Showmanship and they told her her show halter was incorrect. I tried searching to see what was the breed specific show halter for a morgan horse but could not find anything. Does anyone know what a morgan western show halter should look like?

Does she have a coach?
I would see if you could ask her coach (or the judge) for specific clarification.



Typically, Morgans are shown in plain leather halters. (or they can be shown "in-hand" in bridles). If you click on this link, it's a page on the American Morgan Horse Assoc page. Particularly the bottom picture shows an example of the halter.



I tried to do some googling. Found this one but I'm not so sure about the green? but that looks to be what the guy is wearing on the AMHA page. This one is probably more than you want to spend ... and that might be an Arabian. (excuse my ignorance)


They seem to be a little harder to find but they are out there!


But no, Morgans are not shown in a "western showmanship silver halter" like your typical Western showmanship. Which is tough .... b/c you "set up" your horse in showmanship. But if it's breed specific, should she be setting him up in a Morgan stance? And not a QH showmanship stance?
KigerQueen and JoBlueQuarter like this.

∞*˚ Βгįťţαňγ ˚*∞
It is not enough to know how to ride; one must know how to fall.
beau159 is offline  
post #7 of 8 Old 10-09-2018, 07:11 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Cariboo, British Columbia
Posts: 13,145
• Horses: 3
There is indeed a showmanship class for Morgan's at the championship show BUT you don't have to qualify for it you can just show up and show your Morgan in that class. Checking out the class list, it is a two-day show, the Showmanship is held on the second day which is the English portion, so I would assume your Showmanship is in English attire and an English bridle.

I am not here to promote anythingNo, that's not true, I am here to promote everything equestrian and everyone enjoying horses!
waresbear is offline  
post #8 of 8 Old 10-09-2018, 07:57 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: OK
Posts: 13,393
• Horses: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by beau159 View Post
Does she have a coach?
I would see if you could ask her coach (or the judge) for specific clarification.



Typically, Morgans are shown in plain leather halters. (or they can be shown "in-hand" in bridles). If you click on this link, it's a page on the American Morgan Horse Assoc page. Particularly the bottom picture shows an example of the halter.



I tried to do some googling. Found this one but I'm not so sure about the green? but that looks to be what the guy is wearing on the AMHA page. This one is probably more than you want to spend ... and that might be an Arabian. (excuse my ignorance)


They seem to be a little harder to find but they are out there!


But no, Morgans are not shown in a "western showmanship silver halter" like your typical Western showmanship. Which is tough .... b/c you "set up" your horse in showmanship. But if it's breed specific, should she be setting him up in a Morgan stance? And not a QH showmanship stance?
The halter on the Freedman's page looks more like a 1/2 Arab or Saddlebred, don't know if that would work for Morgans or not.

And re: the setup, I stood the saddlebred up like a QH (we didn't do well in the class, totally wrong breed and neither one of us could see the point) and showed her in a QH show halter. At our local 4H, County Fair, Pony Club or FFA stuff, they wouldn't have known what to look at if I stood her up like a Saddlebred or dressed her like one.
KigerQueen likes this.

Dreamcatcher Arabians is offline  
Reply

Tags
morgan , showmanship , western

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Showmanship ~ Morgan PocketfulOfBunnies Horse Showmanship 27 03-28-2017 06:29 PM
Morgan Showmanship Set Up Wau Tau Horse Training 0 05-14-2013 09:05 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome