Strangest thing ever - The Horse Forum
 163Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 44 Old 04-18-2019, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 13
• Horses: 0
Strangest thing ever

I want to know the strangest things you've encountered while trail riding. I've not had enough time in the saddle to come across anything weird or freaky, but would love to hear your stories and how you and your horse handled it.
SueC likes this.
UtahCowboy is offline  
post #2 of 44 Old 04-18-2019, 03:52 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: CenTex
Posts: 1,489
• Horses: 0
I don't have a lot of miles on trails, so I don't have anything that *I* thought was really strange. But. When I first started riding Pony, it was out at the ranch where he lived at the time. We did group trail rides. At one point there was a deer in the bushes, just standing there. The lady who was leading the ride called out "watch out, there's a deer," and I was like, who cares. I mean, Pony LIVED out in that pasture, and I'm sure it was one of the EXACT SAME DEER that was always there. When we got to where the deer was (also, why didn't it move?) he suddenly saw it and teleported about five feet to the right. Luckily I was in a Western saddle so I didn't fall out.

A deer on the trail isn't strange, of course, but apparently to HIM it was just absolutely terribly WRONG! Oh no, the evil deer of DOOM!
akihba, SueC, carshon and 3 others like this.
ACinATX is offline  
post #3 of 44 Old 04-18-2019, 03:55 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 758
• Horses: 0
I ride in the mountains mostly so the only thing we really see is game like deer, elk, bear, cougar, wolves etc. Probably the coolest animal we ever saw was a massive cougar that went right across the road in front of us. We were on a dirt road and his nose was on the far side of the road and his tail was still in the brush on the other side. I have seen plenty of cougars but that was by far and away the biggest one I have ever seen, I would guess with how close its belly was to the ground that it was a large male probably very near the 200lb mark. Normal male would be closer to the 140lb - 150lb range and this one dwarfed any that I have seen before or since.
akihba, SueC, carshon and 4 others like this.

Anything worth doing, is worth doing well.
AndyTheCornbread is offline  
post #4 of 44 Old 04-18-2019, 03:57 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: SE Oklahoma
Posts: 3,182
• Horses: 8
Well. We rode through one morning, didn't notice this...


Rode the same combination of trails that afternoon - there's a white bra hanging way way up in a tree... and there had only been one other group at the campsite/trailhead that day: Two other women. Soooo... let your mind go where it will. LOL


Also, what's the meme? You see a bra and a halter hanging up, and the text is: Somewhere there's a horse and a woman running free? LOL


The guy I bought my slant from said one of the most hair raising things he ever saw was he and his horse had gotten well ahead of his wife and two daughters on their horses. He said a group of wild turkeys chugged across the trail several yards ahead of him and his horse starting acting strange. Said he lifted his eyes up... and further up the trail a black panther (Melanistic mountain lion) slunk across and into the trees... he said it was probably trying to flank the turkeys to pick up a meal.


We're in SE Oklahoma. I have ridden those trails many times and I am so glad I've never had a biiiig cat nor a bear make it's presence known. I hope I never do.

"We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that death will tremble to take us."
AtokaGhosthorse is online now  
post #5 of 44 Old 04-18-2019, 04:28 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 353
• Horses: 0
I was trail riding with some friends out on forested BLM land when a cow elk suddenly charged up from behind a ridge right in front of us. Both her and the horses all planted it and stared at each other in surprise. She was almost as big as a horse! After a few second stare off she turned around and went back down the way she came. And we moseyed on down the trail. :)
SueC and JoBlueQuarter like this.

Horses are proof that God wants us to be happy
pasomountain is offline  
post #6 of 44 Old 04-18-2019, 05:27 PM
Foal
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: NC
Posts: 191
• Horses: 0
I kid you not some friends and I found naked pictures tacked to trees in an area once when we were out riding... I thought that was the strangest thing! Why would someone do that? I guess maybe to get even? Don't know....

Of course gators, deer, wild pigs..... once came across a HUGE wild boar, I swore it was a bear... wasn't just a big boar.... today came across a rooster just walking around, that's not strange except it was out in the woods.
lb27312 is online now  
post #7 of 44 Old 04-18-2019, 05:42 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: middle of nowhere
Posts: 3,702
• Horses: 3
We were a good 40 miles out into the backcountry in Montana, near the Bob Marshall. We pulled off a little-used trail (by that I mean the only regular use this trail would have received would have been by deer) into a clearing by a creek for lunch. It was as pretty of a little spot as you could find, but sitting off to one side under a tree was an upholstered recliner chair with a pair of unlaced hiker/hunting boots next to it. It had been there for quite some time -- covered with leaves and some mold where the sun didn't reach. We did search the surrounding area for a tent or other sign the person had met a bad end and didn't find anything. No rope, no tent, no backpack, no tarp, nothing. No sign of humans at all except for the chair and the boots. We reported it to authorities when we got back, but there wasn't anyone listed as missing at the time, and I never heard if they found out what had happened.

Why would someone drag a big, heavy, upholstered recliner that far into the backcountry in the first place? This wasn't anywhere near a trailhead, forest road, or simple access point. The only way to get it back there would have been to pack it on a mule up a steep, twisty, windy game trail that was very rarely used. The boots were worn and unlaced, like someone had taken them off then went to do something and never came back. We theorized that maybe someone had used the spot for deer hunting, but the chair wasn't facing the game trail or an area of the creek where the deer would come to drink, and there are far better ways to wait for deer than with a soggy, upholstered recliner... the area we were in was generally inaccessible by hunting season anyway, due to snow. Just.... odd and creepy.
SilverMaple is offline  
post #8 of 44 Old 04-18-2019, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 13
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACinATX View Post
I don't have a lot of miles on trails, so I don't have anything that *I* thought was really strange. But. When I first started riding Pony, it was out at the ranch where he lived at the time. We did group trail rides. At one point there was a deer in the bushes, just standing there. The lady who was leading the ride called out "watch out, there's a deer," and I was like, who cares. I mean, Pony LIVED out in that pasture, and I'm sure it was one of the EXACT SAME DEER that was always there. When we got to where the deer was (also, why didn't it move?) he suddenly saw it and teleported about five feet to the right. Luckily I was in a Western saddle so I didn't fall out.

A deer on the trail isn't strange, of course, but apparently to HIM it was just absolutely terribly WRONG! Oh no, the evil deer of DOOM!
Haha evil deer of doom. Makes me think of how often I see a vacuum and then I get up at night and see it and have a heart attack.
akihba, SueC and JoBlueQuarter like this.
UtahCowboy is offline  
post #9 of 44 Old 04-18-2019, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 13
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtokaGhosthorse View Post
Well. We rode through one morning, didn't notice this...


Rode the same combination of trails that afternoon - there's a white bra hanging way way up in a tree... and there had only been one other group at the campsite/trailhead that day: Two other women. Soooo... let your mind go where it will. LOL


Also, what's the meme? You see a bra and a halter hanging up, and the text is: Somewhere there's a horse and a woman running free? LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by lb27312 View Post
I kid you not some friends and I found naked pictures tacked to trees in an area once when we were out riding... I thought that was the strangest thing! Why would someone do that? I guess maybe to get even? Don't know.....
Perhaps from the same group 😂😂😂
UtahCowboy is offline  
post #10 of 44 Old 04-18-2019, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 13
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyTheCornbread View Post
I ride in the mountains mostly so the only thing we really see is game like deer, elk, bear, cougar, wolves etc. Probably the coolest animal we ever saw was a massive cougar that went right across the road in front of us. We were on a dirt road and his nose was on the far side of the road and his tail was still in the brush on the other side. I have seen plenty of cougars but that was by far and away the biggest one I have ever seen, I would guess with how close its belly was to the ground that it was a large male probably very near the 200lb mark. Normal male would be closer to the 140lb - 150lb range and this one dwarfed any that I have seen before or since.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pasomountain View Post
I was trail riding with some friends out on forested BLM land when a cow elk suddenly charged up from behind a ridge right in front of us. Both her and the horses all planted it and stared at each other in surprise. She was almost as big as a horse! After a few second stare off she turned around and went back down the way she came. And we moseyed on down the trail. :)
No matter the animal, seems like some horses are just brave enough to not race off.
SueC and JoBlueQuarter like this.
UtahCowboy is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Strangest thing Shadow Horse Health 4 03-02-2015 11:34 AM
What is the strangest thing your horse likes to chew? Emma2003 Horse Talk 13 03-29-2014 06:59 PM
Strangest thing you've found in hay? Dustbunny Horse Nutrition 14 08-11-2013 04:48 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome