Bit help? Difficult horse? - Page 2 - The Horse Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 28 Old 03-04-2010, 11:52 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 629
• Horses: 0
Post a video of the behavior.
Mercedes is offline  
post #12 of 28 Old 03-05-2010, 08:03 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: In the saddle.
Posts: 5,184
• Horses: 1
Have you had a veterinarian out to do a full physical?
That is the first thing I do if my horse starts acting out of character. I get flexion tests done.
Then I get my saddle checked and look for anything the bridle/bit would be doing to discomfort the horse.
After that is cleared - then I assume it's a training issue. As much as you need to find something the horse is comfortable in, at some point you need to just ride it through - or pay someone else to.

Good luck!
~*~anebel~*~ is offline  
post #13 of 28 Old 03-05-2010, 08:27 PM
Foal
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Washington
Posts: 150
• Horses: 1
Has he had his teeth floated? I had a horse that would fling his head a lot and just didn't like anything in his mouth for awhile, got his teeth floated and he was great after that. I would have a vet take a look. You can also run you finger back along those back teeth and feel if they're pointed or rounded, pointed and jagged, they probably need floated.

I've spent most my life riding horses...the rest i've just wasted.
DakotaLuv is offline  
post #14 of 28 Old 03-05-2010, 08:31 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,296
• Horses: 1
Wow- this is perplexing...... I was wondering if he really just wants to go and thats why it seems like he is not getting used to any bit.
Citrus is offline  
post #15 of 28 Old 03-05-2010, 11:55 PM Thread Starter
Started
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Pensacola, FL
Posts: 2,245
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercedes View Post
Post a video of the behavior.
This was the best I could do, because all I had was my cell phone... All I did here was jiggle the reins (on the ground) to back him up.

Grazing bit: Video - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting

Rubber full-cheek snaffle (I found one! Unfortunately, he didn't like it much): Video - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting

Kimberwick (cavesson is unbuckled): Video - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting



Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*~anebel~*~ View Post
Have you had a veterinarian out to do a full physical?
That is the first thing I do if my horse starts acting out of character. I get flexion tests done.
Then I get my saddle checked and look for anything the bridle/bit would be doing to discomfort the horse.
After that is cleared - then I assume it's a training issue. As much as you need to find something the horse is comfortable in, at some point you need to just ride it through - or pay someone else to.

Good luck!
Yeah, I've already done all of that. I've been riding through it with the grazing bit (he doesn't love it, but he seems to like it the best). I'm currently teaching him how to stop on a voice command and walk on a loose rein without jigging, so that the people who ride him can stay out of his mouth.



Quote:
Originally Posted by DakotaLuv View Post
Has he had his teeth floated? I had a horse that would fling his head a lot and just didn't like anything in his mouth for awhile, got his teeth floated and he was great after that. I would have a vet take a look. You can also run you finger back along those back teeth and feel if they're pointed or rounded, pointed and jagged, they probably need floated.
He had his teeth done in June, so I doubt that's it.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Citrus View Post
Wow- this is perplexing...... I was wondering if he really just wants to go and thats why it seems like he is not getting used to any bit.
That's definitely a possibility. I just want to be sure it's not a pain thing first.
CloudsMystique is offline  
post #16 of 28 Old 03-06-2010, 12:39 AM
Trained
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Northern Utah
Posts: 5,455
• Horses: 1
Here's my advice. Throw away all the bits you have and get a curb bit with swivel shanks and a snaffle type mouth. Make sure that you can put two fingers between the curb strap and his chin and make sure that the bit is contacting the corners of his mouth and maybe making one wrinkle in the skin. Or Ride him in a simple ring snaffle. He is not real soft in his face and mouth so you need to work at that. Put a small amount of pressure on the reins and as soon as he gives even a tiny bit give a release, but don't give the release or increase the pressure untill he gives his face. The reason he is mouthing the bit so much is because he is resisting it not because he is in pain. It's not about the bit with him it's about resistance and the horses inability to break at the poll. The softer you get him the less he will fight that bit. Just ride him and work on getting him soft in the face and otherwise trained and the mouthing the bit will take care of itself.

The grazing bit your horse is wearing in the first video is junk. It is the worst bit ever made and should be thrown in the garbage. It is designed to be cheap to build not to fit well in a horses mouth. It's also made out of aluminum which will dry out a horses mouth where copper or sweet iron will encourage salivation.

There's nothing like the Rockies in the springtime... Nothing like the freedom in the air... And there ain't nothing better than draggin calves to the fire and there's nothing like the smell of burning hair. -Brenn Hill

Last edited by kevinshorses; 03-06-2010 at 12:42 AM.
kevinshorses is offline  
post #17 of 28 Old 03-06-2010, 01:06 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 629
• Horses: 0
What I meant was for you to ride him and show us his behavior. These vids don't really show me anything. There's not much release being given, besides the horse needs to be engaged and forward before being asked to yield and back up, and then they shouldn't be backed up with just the reins.
Mercedes is offline  
post #18 of 28 Old 03-08-2010, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
Started
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Pensacola, FL
Posts: 2,245
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinshorses View Post
Here's my advice. Throw away all the bits you have and get a curb bit with swivel shanks and a snaffle type mouth. Make sure that you can put two fingers between the curb strap and his chin and make sure that the bit is contacting the corners of his mouth and maybe making one wrinkle in the skin. Or Ride him in a simple ring snaffle. He is not real soft in his face and mouth so you need to work at that. Put a small amount of pressure on the reins and as soon as he gives even a tiny bit give a release, but don't give the release or increase the pressure untill he gives his face. The reason he is mouthing the bit so much is because he is resisting it not because he is in pain. It's not about the bit with him it's about resistance and the horses inability to break at the poll. The softer you get him the less he will fight that bit. Just ride him and work on getting him soft in the face and otherwise trained and the mouthing the bit will take care of itself.

The grazing bit your horse is wearing in the first video is junk. It is the worst bit ever made and should be thrown in the garbage. It is designed to be cheap to build not to fit well in a horses mouth. It's also made out of aluminum which will dry out a horses mouth where copper or sweet iron will encourage salivation.
Yeah, I know he needs work... That's why I'm trying to find a better bit for him. I guess I'll just have to ignore it. I rode him in a draw gag today... He was still mouthing a lot, but he was resisting less and flexing pretty well.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercedes View Post
What I meant was for you to ride him and show us his behavior. These vids don't really show me anything. There's not much release being given, besides the horse needs to be engaged and forward before being asked to yield and back up, and then they shouldn't be backed up with just the reins.
Well, that was the best I could do with just a cell phone and nobody to hold it. I was releasing when he started moving backwards, but the problem is that he was hesitating after I released him, so I had to take away the release. I was only trying to show you what he does when he mouths the bit, because I thought that was what you wanted to see.

And how exactly can I back him up on the ground without using just the reins? Putting pressure on his nose or chest is not going to help you see how he responds to the bit...
CloudsMystique is offline  
post #19 of 28 Old 03-08-2010, 08:14 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 629
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudsMystique View Post
And how exactly can I back him up on the ground without using just the reins? Putting pressure on his nose or chest is not going to help you see how he responds to the bit...
Most horses will do this when not engaged and asked to back with the reins. An engaged horse will only require the hand to 'close then release' to rein back..yes, even from the ground. It's the release that tells the horse to step back, not the 'close' of the hand, or the tug on the reins.

I wanted to see if there was a problem with the mechanics of asking for the rein back. And I wanted to see if the horse was seeking contact and accepting of it when being ridden forward. I'm simply not convinced this is a 'bit' problem.
Mercedes is offline  
post #20 of 28 Old 03-08-2010, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Started
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Pensacola, FL
Posts: 2,245
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercedes View Post
Most horses will do this when not engaged and asked to back with the reins. An engaged horse will only require the hand to 'close then release' to rein back..yes, even from the ground. It's the release that tells the horse to step back, not the 'close' of the hand, or the tug on the reins.
Most will.... this one won't. And again, I needed to take contact with his mouth because that's the only way he'll open his mouth.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercedes View Post
I wanted to see if there was a problem with the mechanics of asking for the rein back. And I wanted to see if the horse was seeking contact and accepting of it when being ridden forward. I'm simply not convinced this is a 'bit' problem.
Since this doesn't happen with any other horse I ride, I'm pretty sure it's not me. I know this horse has problems and I'm working on them. I'm not convinced this a bit problem, either. I just want to rule out that possibility.
CloudsMystique is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A rather difficult question... SSH Farm Horse Health 15 11-08-2009 01:13 PM
Why is finding the right saddle so difficult? LLB Horse Tack and Equipment 3 08-21-2009 12:04 AM
Most difficult movement Spyder Dressage 45 05-27-2009 03:59 PM
An Extremely Difficult Decision Small_Town_Girl Horse Talk 9 09-16-2008 02:59 PM
and i thought the horse life was difficult! englishcowgrl General Off Topic Discussion 9 02-07-2008 08:12 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome