Mohair Cinches,Roper or Straight? - The Horse Forum
 27Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 Old 02-19-2020, 11:18 AM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 85
• Horses: 0
Mohair Cinches,Roper or Straight?

Hi everyone! I feel like I posted too many threads already but I canít find an answer to this. Iíve decided on a mohair cinch because Iíve read on here and other places that itís the best! I originally looked at neoprene and like other people I thought it looked comfy. Thank goodness I didnít go there! (No offense intended for anyone successfully using neoprene)

So the question: Roper or straight style?
Nubs is offline  
post #2 of 22 Old 02-19-2020, 11:40 AM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: A good place
Posts: 8,528
• Horses: 0
I choose roper ( in mohair) because I ride hilly country, often for long periods of time, and occasionally rope.
Nubs likes this.
boots is online now  
post #3 of 22 Old 02-19-2020, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 85
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by boots View Post
I choose roper ( in mohair) because I ride hilly country, often for long periods of time, and occasionally rope.


And you donít find it to rub armpits? I read somewhere that since roper are wider they are more likely to rub armpits. I did find a gorgeous one in roper style but I read that,so...yea.
Nubs is offline  
post #4 of 22 Old 02-19-2020, 11:54 AM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: A good place
Posts: 8,528
• Horses: 0
My using saddles are 3/4 rigged, so cinches are set back a bit anyway.

I haven't used a full rigged saddle in more than forty years, so don't know what that would be like.
COWCHICK77 and Nubs like this.
boots is online now  
post #5 of 22 Old 02-19-2020, 12:18 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Arizona
Posts: 6,566
• Horses: 0
I like roper style because I feel they are more secure. I don't know how much of that is real vs. imagined. I also have some straight cinches that work just fine. But roper is my favorite.

Weather or not they bother the horse's armpit I think has a lot to do with the horse's conformation. If a horse is very round in the belly, the cinches seem to sit in the armpit more. But even with a round horse, I have never had mohair rub the skin. I've had them take off a little hair in the armpit of a Mustang I used to own, but they never made a sore on his skin. With my current horse, even though she is a bit of a chub at the moment, the cinch seems to stay out of her armpit, even the widest roper style.

I have one saddle that is probably close to fully rigged, maybe 7/8? I'm not sure, but it has the traditional rigging on the tree (vs. dropped rigging that is popular now) and even with that saddle, everything seems to slide into an appropriate place and doesn't bother her armpits.

So, I don't think you can go wrong either way. But if you notice all your cinches snug right into the armpit, you might do better with a straight style. Maybe.
Nubs likes this.


trailhorserider is offline  
post #6 of 22 Old 02-19-2020, 12:19 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 971
• Horses: 0
I use a straight 100% mohair 27 strand cinch because they don't seem to cause the heat spot /rubbing issues I have had with roper cinches. This is the cinch I have been using lately because the one I used to use doesn't come in a 32" length. Here is what I am using now: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004ZQ5M12/

I like this one too but it is only 17 strands and it doesn't come in 32": https://www.outfitterssupply.com/100...nfo/WSA200/30/
Nubs likes this.

Anything worth doing, is worth doing well.
AndyTheCornbread is offline  
post #7 of 22 Old 02-19-2020, 12:24 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Arizona
Posts: 6,566
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyTheCornbread View Post
I use a straight 100% mohair 27 strand cinch because they don't seem to cause the heat spot /rubbing issues I have had with roper cinches. This is the cinch I have been using lately because the one I used to use doesn't come in a 32" length. Here is what I am using now: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004ZQ5M12/

I like this one too but it is only 17 strands and it doesn't come in 32": https://www.outfitterssupply.com/100...nfo/WSA200/30/

Do you like the roller buckle on the top one? I had that cinch and hated the buckle tongue and roller, it was looser than I liked.


I don't have any 17 strands at the moment, but I like the looks of the second one you posted.


I like something similar to this:


trailhorserider is offline  
post #8 of 22 Old 02-19-2020, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 85
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailhorserider View Post
I like roper style because I feel they are more secure. I don't know how much of that is real vs. imagined. I also have some straight cinches that work just fine. But roper is my favorite.

Weather or not they bother the horse's armpit I think has a lot to do with the horse's conformation. If a horse is very round in the belly, the cinches seem to sit in the armpit more. But even with a round horse, I have never had mohair rub the skin. I've had them take off a little hair in the armpit of a Mustang I used to own, but they never made a sore on his skin. With my current horse, even though she is a bit of a chub at the moment, the cinch seems to stay out of her armpit, even the widest roper style.

I have one saddle that is probably close to fully rigged, maybe 7/8? I'm not sure, but it has the traditional rigging on the tree (vs. dropped rigging that is popular now) and even with that saddle, everything seems to slide into an appropriate place and doesn't bother her armpits.

So, I don't think you can go wrong either way. But if you notice all your cinches snug right into the armpit, you might do better with a straight style. Maybe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyTheCornbread View Post
I use a straight 100% mohair 27 strand cinch because they don't seem to cause the heat spot /rubbing issues I have had with roper cinches. This is the cinch I have been using lately because the one I used to use doesn't come in a 32" length. Here is what I am using now: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004ZQ5M12/

I like this one too but it is only 17 strands and it doesn't come in 32": https://www.outfitterssupply.com/100...nfo/WSA200/30/
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailhorserider View Post
Do you like the roller buckle on the top one? I had that cinch and hated the buckle tongue and roller, it was looser than I liked.


I don't have any 17 strands at the moment, but I like the looks of the second one you posted.


I like something similar to this:

Thank you everyone! Iím glad to hear roper doesnít rub anymore than straight!


Howís this one look? https://www.amazon.com/Classic-Equin...CEBRY5WAD4RNJ7

I know,I know,itís colored. Lol! Iím just wondering.
Nubs is offline  
post #9 of 22 Old 02-19-2020, 01:46 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 971
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailhorserider View Post
Do you like the roller buckle on the top one? I had that cinch and hated the buckle tongue and roller, it was looser than I liked.
Love the roller, HATED the buckle tongue so I cut it off the latigo side. I just tie a regular saddle knot in my latigo and I don't use the buckle tongue holes in it. I would prefer my latigo had no tongue holes in it but mine came with them already punched in it so I live with it.

Anything worth doing, is worth doing well.
AndyTheCornbread is offline  
post #10 of 22 Old 02-19-2020, 01:47 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: The sandbox
Posts: 6,823
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubs View Post
Thank you everyone! Iím glad to hear roper doesnít rub anymore than straight!


Howís this one look? https://www.amazon.com/Classic-Equin...CEBRY5WAD4RNJ7

I know,I know,itís colored. Lol! Iím just wondering.

I like the color!

We just had a discussion about this very cinch not too long ago, a couple of us don't like the roller buckles.
Again personal preference.
I don't use mine anymore, it is hanging in the saddle house plus it is too long for the horses I have now. I think it's a 30 and it stretched. (keep that in mind when ordering and using the first several rides and after washing)I like mine shorter 26 or 28.
Nubs likes this.

I DON'T LEAD 'EM AND FEED 'EM, I RIDE 'EM AND SLIDE 'EM.
PLAYBOYS OKIE CODY "HOOEY" 10/21/2019
COWCHICK77 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome