New Bit - The Horse Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 Old 07-22-2008, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 47
• Horses: 1
New Bit

I purchased a new training/trail bit for Pete the other day.

Looking for anyone else who's used this bit, it's a Tom Thumb 3 piece Bit; Steel Material; 5 in Mouth, 6.75 Cheek.



The reason behind this purchase, other than being recommended, was Pete was playing with his bit. The trainer and I had discussed using a Cavason(sp), but I didn't want to put any more NEW stress upon him.

Pete was a 'good ole boy's' country mount, meaning, they threw a saddle on him and rode with little to no formal education. He didn't even understand the round pen.

Thanks in advance,

~Kerri & Pete
VAHorseGurl is offline  
post #2 of 31 Old 07-22-2008, 01:05 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Greenville area / SC
Posts: 13,165
• Horses: 3
That isn't really a Tom Thumb (thank goodness) but a nice simple shanked bit. It seems to have a slight gag action to it. It should be a nice mild bit (as far as shanked bits go) and you can use the rings by the mouth part if you prefer.

I'm not arguing with you, I'm just explaining why I'm right.

Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong.


It's not always what you say but what they hear.
iridehorses is offline  
post #3 of 31 Old 07-22-2008, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 47
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by iridehorses
That isn't really a Tom Thumb (thank goodness) but a nice simple shanked bit.
What about it does not make it a Tom Thumb? Everything I've read so far suggests differently. Even my trainer called it a TT of sorts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iridehorses
... and you can use the rings by the mouth part if you prefer.
I don't see any way around using the 3 rings in the middle. The bit does not come apart, should it?

~Kerri & Pete
VAHorseGurl is offline  
post #4 of 31 Old 07-22-2008, 01:54 PM
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 29
• Horses: 0
Quote:
I don't see any way around using the 3 rings in the middle. The bit does not come apart, should it?
i'm confused. by the way you worded it, it sounded like you were going to attatch reins to the copper rings in the middle of the bit? or did you mean the dees on the sides... i'm hoping you know that those three rings are for your horse to play with... that's the whole reason you bought a new bit right?
Einsam is offline  
post #5 of 31 Old 07-22-2008, 01:58 PM
Foal
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: 143 E. Shirley Ave, Warrenton, VA 20186
Posts: 126
• Horses: 0
Hi Marshall Virginia, I'm in Warrenton! I'm assuming you know that the side rings are the mildest rein attachment and the lower ring, rein attachment makes the bit a little more harsh, with leverage.
GallopingGrape is offline  
post #6 of 31 Old 07-22-2008, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 47
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Einsam
Quote:
I don't see any way around using the 3 rings in the middle. The bit does not come apart, should it?
i'm confused. by the way you worded it, it sounded like you were going to attatch reins to the copper rings in the middle of the bit? or did you mean the dees on the sides... i'm hoping you know that those three rings are for your horse to play with... that's the whole reason you bought a new bit right?
LOL, Um, I understand that the reins are attached to the bottom shank portion of the bit. NOT the 3 rings in the middle of the snaffle bit.

The first person said something about not having to use the 3 rings, I was commenting on the fact that the 3 rings in the middle, bit portion, could not be removed whether I wanted to use them or not.

~Kerri & Pete
VAHorseGurl is offline  
post #7 of 31 Old 07-22-2008, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 47
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by GallopingGrape
Hi Marshall Virginia, I'm in Warrenton! I'm assuming you know that the side rings are the mildest rein attachment and the lower ring, rein attachment makes the bit a little more harsh, with leverage.
Yes ma'am, I realize that where I attach my Reins to the shank will have an effect on Pete's mouth and behavior.

What I was concerned with were the 3 COPPER rings on the inside of the bit part.

We are having great success with this bit currently and we've only used it for a day and a half. I'm honestly surprised a bit.

~Kerri & Pete
VAHorseGurl is offline  
post #8 of 31 Old 07-22-2008, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 47
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by GallopingGrape
Hi Marshall Virginia, I'm in Warrenton!
As a side note, Hello Kim. I've been into your shop once or twice since you opened. I need to get back, as you are the only one I know of local who carries Justin products.

So, I'll stop by some time this weekend.

~Kerri & Pete
VAHorseGurl is offline  
post #9 of 31 Old 07-22-2008, 02:10 PM
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 29
• Horses: 0
Quote:
LOL, Um, I understand that the reins are attached to the bottom shank portion of the bit. NOT the 3 rings in the middle of the snaffle bit.

The first person said something about not having to use the 3 rings, I was commenting on the fact that the 3 rings in the middle, bit portion, could not be removed whether I wanted to use them or not.
lol okay. =] i just wasn't sure the way you worded it... or the way i read it. =D but i guessed that you knew how to use the bit correctly

oh. and when i read the first reply. that person means the dee rings above the shanks. you could use those instead of the shanks if you wanted =]
Einsam is offline  
post #10 of 31 Old 07-22-2008, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 47
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Einsam
lol okay. =] i just wasn't sure the way you worded it... or the way i read it. =D but i guessed that you knew how to use the bit correctly
LOL, thank you for pointing it out though.. While I wouldn't have made that mistake, someone down the road may have?

I wouldn't have used it without the guidance of my trainer. So we are good.

~Kerri & Pete
VAHorseGurl is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome