Rubber Bits vs. Metal - Page 2 - The Horse Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 25 Old 02-01-2009, 10:25 AM
Started
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: USDF Region 1, USEA Area 2, USEF Zone 3 - Maryland
Posts: 1,903
• Horses: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by iridehorses View Post
Hard hands make his mouth harder, not the bit.
I agree and disagree at the same time... If you put a horse in a stronger bit with the same light handed rider and then switch to a milder bit after some time, the horse will probably have to be reschooled a bit (no pun intended) to get them listening to it. Happens with my guy... he gets REALLY strong on xc so he goes in an elevator, but for dressage he goes in a loose ring and the next time he is in the the loose ring after a xc school it is hard work keeping him all together. Not that a rubber mouth and loose ring are that different, but still it can happen
My Beau is offline  
post #12 of 25 Old 02-01-2009, 10:43 AM
Showing
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Greenville area / SC
Posts: 13,165
• Horses: 3
... But you were speaking of rubber vs metal, not different bits altogether.

I'm not arguing with you, I'm just explaining why I'm right.

Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong.


It's not always what you say but what they hear.
iridehorses is offline  
post #13 of 25 Old 02-01-2009, 11:46 AM
Started
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Washington State
Posts: 1,766
• Horses: 2
I personally prefer the metal bits because I know they're going to last and there's no chance they'll break down and become uncomfortable for my horse. When we bought my pony, she came with a happy mouth bit. Here I will agree with iridehorses on the fact that hard hands make hard mouths because that's just what happened to my pony before we got her. She had a happy mouth bit, but she was not happy. Her rider practically "locked down" on her head, causing her to charge jumps and even rear a short time before they decided to sell her.

We used the happy mouth bit for a little while before I noticed that one way or another it was becoming gouged by her teeth and had developed a sharp edge that risked jabbing her in the gums. Needless to say, it went in the trash and she got herself a brand new KK Ultra bit which she absolutely loves. Also, concerning rubber bits, I was at a riding school where several horses had rubber bits but they were coming apart and were somewhat jagged in places. It's just not worth it in my opinion.

I'd suggest seeing if it's at all possible to have your horse go in a metal bit... but if he absolutely hates it, don't push the matter. If you do get a rubber bit or a happy mouth because he won't take a metal one, just be sure to take a good look at it fairly often to make sure that it's holding up well and be prepared to have to replace it a few times throughout his life.
Eolith is offline  
post #14 of 25 Old 02-01-2009, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
Weanling
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Erie, PA
Posts: 707
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eolith View Post
I personally prefer the metal bits because I know they're going to last and there's no chance they'll break down and become uncomfortable for my horse. When we bought my pony, she came with a happy mouth bit. Here I will agree with iridehorses on the fact that hard hands make hard mouths because that's just what happened to my pony before we got her. She had a happy mouth bit, but she was not happy. Her rider practically "locked down" on her head, causing her to charge jumps and even rear a short time before they decided to sell her.

We used the happy mouth bit for a little while before I noticed that one way or another it was becoming gouged by her teeth and had developed a sharp edge that risked jabbing her in the gums. Needless to say, it went in the trash and she got herself a brand new KK Ultra bit which she absolutely loves. Also, concerning rubber bits, I was at a riding school where several horses had rubber bits but they were coming apart and were somewhat jagged in places. It's just not worth it in my opinion.

I'd suggest seeing if it's at all possible to have your horse go in a metal bit... but if he absolutely hates it, don't push the matter. If you do get a rubber bit or a happy mouth because he won't take a metal one, just be sure to take a good look at it fairly often to make sure that it's holding up well and be prepared to have to replace it a few times throughout his life.
That makes perfect sense.
Lmao yeah I was planning on the replacements every now and then, though it is a soft rubber bit so it wouldn't be quite as hard and jagged as a hard rubber one. Either way if it got messed up in any way of course I would replace it.

Fly Without Wings
Ne0n Zero is offline  
post #15 of 25 Old 02-01-2009, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
Weanling
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Erie, PA
Posts: 707
• Horses: 0
Sorry for double post, but would this bit rust easily?

http://www.statelinetack.com/itemdy0...LT900267%20550

Fly Without Wings

Last edited by Ne0n Zero; 02-01-2009 at 12:21 PM.
Ne0n Zero is offline  
post #16 of 25 Old 02-01-2009, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
Weanling
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Erie, PA
Posts: 707
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne0n Zero View Post
Sorry for double post, but would this bit rust easily?

Korsteel Swt Iron Loose Copper Ring Snaffle
... Sigh. I'm retarded today. I meant to ask, how do you prevent it from rusting FAST. D:

Fly Without Wings
Ne0n Zero is offline  
post #17 of 25 Old 02-01-2009, 01:24 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 687
• Horses: 0
I've tried JP Korsteel and it didn't fly with my horse (but that's him) He LOVES the Herm Sprenger KK Ultra loose ring though! You can go on craigslist/tacktrader and find them for good prices, hardly used ;) The horses love the ones with Aurigan.

John 14:6 - Jesus said unto him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by Me."
PiggyPablo is offline  
post #18 of 25 Old 02-01-2009, 03:12 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Greenville area / SC
Posts: 13,165
• Horses: 3
The idea of sweet iron IS to rust. Horses love the taste - that's the purpose of it. I've been using a bit with sweet iron for well over 10 years on a lot of different horses without problems.

I'm not arguing with you, I'm just explaining why I'm right.

Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong.


It's not always what you say but what they hear.
iridehorses is offline  
post #19 of 25 Old 02-01-2009, 05:44 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 687
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by iridehorses View Post
The idea of sweet iron IS to rust. Horses love the taste - that's the purpose of it. I've been using a bit with sweet iron for well over 10 years on a lot of different horses without problems.
This is true.

John 14:6 - Jesus said unto him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by Me."
PiggyPablo is offline  
post #20 of 25 Old 02-01-2009, 06:33 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 3,221
• Horses: 0
just curious, if your horse loves the bit he's in and he goes in it well, why would you switch?
upnover is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Soft Bits vs Harsh bits? Velvetgrace Horse Training 48 04-29-2015 10:28 PM
Cleaning horses' bits - no, not those kind of 'bits' Kyani Horse Grooming 79 01-30-2013 02:07 PM
How Do You Cut Rubber Mat? CrufflerSteve Barn Maintenance 8 05-01-2010 01:35 PM
Rubber or no Rubber??? BluMagic Horse Tack and Equipment 8 03-11-2008 07:34 PM
Rubber bit? October Horse Training 19 02-19-2008 06:11 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome