Complained that we're not working our horses - Page 4 - The Horse Forum
Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 58 Old 10-29-2009, 11:50 AM
Showing
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 13,258
• Horses: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbusgeek View Post
No offense, but that's very ignorant of you. If the OP didn't want to deal with horses, she shouldn't have purchased them in the first place. The barn owner provides a place for other peoples' horses to live when people don't have room or time to feed them at their own house. Barns can and do upcharge for things like working your horse for you, training it, grooming it, tacking it up for you, etc. Just because the barn owner is providing a place for your horse to live and feeds it for you doesn't mean all of the responsibility of horse ownership then falls on that barn owner. Having a baby doesn't negate the fact that the OP still owns the horse.
First off what is "OP". Your post makes no sense at all. She is 1 week away from delivering a child, she shouldn't be out handling or working horses period. For that matter, regardless of her health(baby or not), if she chooses not to come to the barn for 10 years, she is paying her board. That would go with any horse(stallions, tempermental mares). The fact that they are like that because she hasn't been able to make it (and therefor are hot)is completely besides the point.

By managing and owning a stable, she is going to have to deal with clients and client's needs and/or request. If her dealing with a horse who is on the hot side of things(regardless of the cause or reason), it doesn't matter. She needs to deal with it(and by that I don't mean working with the horse, but deal with the fact he is hot).

Last edited by my2geldings; 10-29-2009 at 11:51 AM. Reason: speeeelling
my2geldings is offline  
post #32 of 58 Old 10-29-2009, 11:56 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: In a land far far away, or so I wish.
Posts: 12,825
• Horses: 0
OP = Original Post or Original Poster.


I suppose you could be right. But then the horse owner can not get their panties bunched if the BO (barn owner) asks them to remove their horses from the property.

When you become a BO it does not mean you have to allow yourself to be used, walked on, or any other thing. It is a relationship, BO/Horse owner.

If the OP wants to be an absentee horse owner they need to find a place that does year round 24/7 or a place that does complete full care (which I am sure the OP is not willing or able to pay for).


BTW - what would happen, OP, if one of your horses got injured and required daily medical care? Is that part of your boarding contract too? It has never been part of mine.

You need to plan ahead. Now it is a little too late for that. But you should have taken into account you were going to be busy with this baby and made plans for your horses best interest.
Alwaysbehind is offline  
post #33 of 58 Old 10-29-2009, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
Trained
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 9,883
• Horses: 0
I would like to say I'm not the only boarder there that hasn't seen her horses in a while. There was another boarder that would rarely come up and when she did, it would be to organize her tack and look at her horse. She barely even touched her. Her horse is on the same schedule that my two are on.

As for saying that me being pregnant is not an excuse to go out and see/work my horses then you must a. not be a woman, or b. have never been pregnant.
I chose to protect the life on my unborn child if, god forbid, one of the horses acted up or there was an outside force that put me and my unborn child in harm. To me, that IS an excuse not to go out and work with 1000+ pound animals.

To say that I shouldn't have horses right now because I'm putting myself before them, is IMO ridiculous. What happens if I wasn't pregnant but recovering from broken bones and was unable to physically go out there for more than a year? Are you saying that since I'd be putting myself before my horses that I should sell them??

I have a lot more on my mind to write, but am currently in labor and just don't feel like wasting my energy on defending why I originally posted this thread to begin with.
appylover31803 is offline  
post #34 of 58 Old 10-29-2009, 12:12 PM
Foal
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Milton, GA
Posts: 44
• Horses: 1
Alwaysbehind, thanks, my point exactly.

My2Geldings - I'm not disagreeing with your point that she shouldn't be out there working her horses. I am saying, however, that those horses are her responsibility. When she is unable to work them herself, she needs to either find someone who will do it for free, find someone she can barter with to do it, find someone whom she can pay to do it, or pay the barn owner to work them for her. You should never expect the barn owner to provide complete care and full service unless that's what you're paying for, and it doesn't sound like that's what she's paying for. (Otherwise, the BO probably would have just worked the horses without asking.)

Just as an example, take a look at this farm close to us:

Untitled Document

Notice where it say part way down - "Additional Services - service fee will be added to monthly board: body clipping, basic clipping, mane pulling, hand walking, poulticing, hosing, icing, wrapping legs, lunging". That's all in addition to the normal full board rates. Another one...

Boarding and Leasing at Green Acres Equestrian Center

Notice the last bullet point - "Other services, such as grooming and exercising are available". That's in addition to full board at $600 a month.

If you sent your kids off to boarding school, you'd still be responsible for them if they broke anything or were rude and disorderly. Same thing with horses. If you're not paying for complete and full service, don't expect the barn owner to provide it for free.
shortbusgeek is offline  
post #35 of 58 Old 10-29-2009, 12:22 PM
Foal
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Milton, GA
Posts: 44
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by appylover31803 View Post
I would like to say I'm not the only boarder there that hasn't seen her horses in a while. There was another boarder that would rarely come up and when she did, it would be to organize her tack and look at her horse. She barely even touched her. Her horse is on the same schedule that my two are on.

As for saying that me being pregnant is not an excuse to go out and see/work my horses then you must a. not be a woman, or b. have never been pregnant.
I chose to protect the life on my unborn child if, god forbid, one of the horses acted up or there was an outside force that put me and my unborn child in harm. To me, that IS an excuse not to go out and work with 1000+ pound animals.

To say that I shouldn't have horses right now because I'm putting myself before them, is IMO ridiculous. What happens if I wasn't pregnant but recovering from broken bones and was unable to physically go out there for more than a year? Are you saying that since I'd be putting myself before my horses that I should sell them??

I have a lot more on my mind to write, but am currently in labor and just don't feel like wasting my energy on defending why I originally posted this thread to begin with.
A couple of things here. First, do you know whether that person's horses have been acting up? Do you know if the barn owner has been in contact with that person to discuss it if so? What that other person does and is paying for is a totally separate situation from your own. I never discuss situations between another boarder with other boarders. It's simply not professional or polite.

I completely agree that you should not be out there working with horses while you're 9 months pregnant. However, a month ago, were you not pregnant? 2 months ago? 6 months ago? You've had plenty of time to make arrangements for someone else to go work your horses if that's what they needed. It doesn't sound like they actually needed any work until recently, unless it's a diet change that they need. It would be the same exact situation if you had broken bones. It's proper for the barn owner to notice the situation and then contact the owner with a recommendation as to how to go about solving it. Either you follow the barn owner's advice or make other arrangements to reach the same end result. I'm sorry if that sounds harsh, but that's part of the responsibilities of owning these large animals.
shortbusgeek is offline  
post #36 of 58 Old 10-29-2009, 12:22 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 13,258
• Horses: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbusgeek View Post
Alwaysbehind, thanks, my point exactly.

My2Geldings - I'm not disagreeing with your point that she shouldn't be out there working her horses. I am saying, however, that those horses are her responsibility. When she is unable to work them herself, she needs to either find someone who will do it for free, find someone she can barter with to do it, find someone whom she can pay to do it, or pay the barn owner to work them for her. You should never expect the barn owner to provide complete care and full service unless that's what you're paying for, and it doesn't sound like that's what she's paying for. (Otherwise, the BO probably would have just worked the horses without asking.)

Just as an example, take a look at this farm close to us:

Untitled Document

Notice where it say part way down - "Additional Services - service fee will be added to monthly board: body clipping, basic clipping, mane pulling, hand walking, poulticing, hosing, icing, wrapping legs, lunging". That's all in addition to the normal full board rates. Another one...

Boarding and Leasing at Green Acres Equestrian Center

Notice the last bullet point - "Other services, such as grooming and exercising are available". That's in addition to full board at $600 a month.

If you sent your kids off to boarding school, you'd still be responsible for them if they broke anything or were rude and disorderly. Same thing with horses. If you're not paying for complete and full service, don't expect the barn owner to provide it for free.
Then I'm not sure what the purpose of your first post then, because you were on the same page as the post you replied to.
my2geldings is offline  
post #37 of 58 Old 10-29-2009, 12:41 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 13,258
• Horses: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by appylover31803 View Post
I would like to say I'm not the only boarder there that hasn't seen her horses in a while. There was another boarder that would rarely come up and when she did, it would be to organize her tack and look at her horse. She barely even touched her. Her horse is on the same schedule that my two are on.

As for saying that me being pregnant is not an excuse to go out and see/work my horses then you must a. not be a woman, or b. have never been pregnant.
I chose to protect the life on my unborn child if, god forbid, one of the horses acted up or there was an outside force that put me and my unborn child in harm. To me, that IS an excuse not to go out and work with 1000+ pound animals.

To say that I shouldn't have horses right now because I'm putting myself before them, is IMO ridiculous. What happens if I wasn't pregnant but recovering from broken bones and was unable to physically go out there for more than a year? Are you saying that since I'd be putting myself before my horses that I should sell them??

I have a lot more on my mind to write, but am currently in labor and just don't feel like wasting my energy on defending why I originally posted this thread to begin with.
Good for you Appy for not going out there, and good for you for holding your own. I couldn't agree more with you.
my2geldings is offline  
post #38 of 58 Old 10-29-2009, 01:04 PM
Started
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Californian
Posts: 1,979
• Horses: 2
shortbusgeek you are SO out of line. You don't know her horses and what they require. If she felt that they would be ok for the time being without work - then that is her decision. you know that there are people out there who have horses and pets... I know that Appy doesn't have them as only pets but right now with what is going on that is what she has them for. Get off your soap box and stop trying to tell her what she should and shouldn't be doing when she is about to have a baby. Apparently you aren't married, because if your wife was about to have a baby- having her around horses would be the last thing you would want.

Appy ignore him! I am just so at a loss of words for his ignorant comments.

:: Karley ::
Tucker WB/TB- 11 yr
Speedy QH/TB- 22 yr
kchfuller is offline  
post #39 of 58 Old 10-29-2009, 01:12 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 25,963
• Horses: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbusgeek View Post
No offense, but that's very ignorant of you. If the OP didn't want to deal with horses, she shouldn't have purchased them in the first place. The barn owner provides a place for other peoples' horses to live when people don't have room or time to feed them at their own house. Barns can and do upcharge for things like working your horse for you, training it, grooming it, tacking it up for you, etc. Just because the barn owner is providing a place for your horse to live and feeds it for you doesn't mean all of the responsibility of horse ownership then falls on that barn owner. Having a baby doesn't negate the fact that the OP still owns the horse.
That was a very rude post in my opininon.

If the OP didn't want to deal with horses, she shouldn't have purchased them in the first place.

She owned the horses BEFORE she got pregnant. Every pregnancy is different and every persons needs and concerns vary.

I am a parent who owned and cared for my horses through out my pregnancy and I know how hard and actually scary it is to handle a horse during pregnancy, there is a life inside of you at that point. I am very offended by your response. I don't find it at all helpful and I think it is awful that you would purposely upset someone this far along in a pregnancy.

"Be a best friend, tell the truth, and overuse I love you
Go to work, do your best, don't outsmart your common sense
Never let your prayin knees get lazy
And love like crazy"
farmpony84 is offline  
post #40 of 58 Old 10-29-2009, 01:14 PM
Started
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Californian
Posts: 1,979
• Horses: 2
Rkymtn: have you ever been a mother? Just because she is having a baby doesn't mean she wants to give up riding ...

i am in shock of people wanting a woman about to have a baby to get out and take care of her horses- none of you (including me) know what is going on specifically and are in no way shape or form in the right to tell her to get rid of her horses...

:: Karley ::
Tucker WB/TB- 11 yr
Speedy QH/TB- 22 yr
kchfuller is offline  
Closed Thread

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Video of working yearling cattle (with dogs and horses) smrobs Horse Videos 3 07-28-2009 03:56 PM
Working Two Horses ChingazMyBoy Horse Training 4 07-02-2009 10:49 PM
New To Working With Horses Habdisullah Horse Talk 4 09-04-2007 07:20 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome