Confession Time - Page 326 - The Horse Forum
 57675Likes
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #3251 of 12612 Old 08-26-2016, 03:28 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Posts: 2,664
• Horses: 1
Sorry, double post.

A friend and I have been looking into soap-making and starting a side business for that. I'm not going to ramp up on things there until after I get into this house, though. That is if I can still get the house before everything goes down the toilet here :P
Mulefeather is offline  
post #3252 of 12612 Old 08-26-2016, 03:34 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Palmyra, Wisconsin
Posts: 6,161
• Horses: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6gun Kid View Post
we all feel that way when it is time, but I bolded the reason why it is absolutely the right thing. He is still beautiful, and he still has his dignity. To me it is far more important that my animals go out with grace, than in a shrunken world where they cannot see or breathe or whatever the case may be. I am thinking about you.
Thank you Kevin. I know you're right. More time would not be Rocky's friend.
He's spent the last 6 hours grazing wherever he wants. The other horses have had restricted pasture since Rocky has been here. I wanted him to choose where he wanted to eat. He's had a good summer.
natisha is offline  
post #3253 of 12612 Old 08-26-2016, 03:39 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 3,087
• Horses: 1
@natisha , I am so sorry you have to go through this :( I'm sorry you had to be the one to make the call. Just from reading your posts, it absolutely is the right time. He is still happy and beautiful. But would he be in a week? A month? If his breathing is as bad as you say, and I believe you since I don't see you as someone who exaggerates, then it's the right time. He can go out without a horrendous amount of suffering and still enjoying life. He lived a long, happy life and had a great last summer. My thoughts are with you as you lay that beautiful soul to rest.
JCnGrace, Change and SwissMiss like this.
Tazzie is offline  
post #3254 of 12612 Old 08-26-2016, 03:40 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Palmyra, Wisconsin
Posts: 6,161
• Horses: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulefeather View Post
@natisha , I'm so sorry. It sucks that your sister is putting this on you, and I hope she is very grateful for the painful decision you are making on her and her horse's behalf. You have done him the greatest kindness we can give our animals, which is to end their suffering when it gets to be too much.
Thanks. I know she's grateful but that doesn't stop me from wanting to slap her.

The vet will be on time. I have a headache & am trying to stop crying.
natisha is offline  
post #3255 of 12612 Old 08-26-2016, 03:43 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Saskatchewan
Posts: 15,433
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by natisha View Post
Thank you. Part of me feels guilty. Am I doing this because it needs to be done now or because I'm afraid of having to confront something worse?
Or because you are afraid that he will have to deal with worse...there comes the time, and it really sounds like this is it. Sorry that you are having to deal with something that shouldn't be yours to do, but so glad that he has someone who is actually prepared to make a decision. ((Hugs)) this always sucks

“Never attribute to malice that which can be attributed to stupidity”
Golden Horse is offline  
post #3256 of 12612 Old 08-26-2016, 03:48 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Palmyra, Wisconsin
Posts: 6,161
• Horses: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazzie View Post
@natisha , I am so sorry you have to go through this :( I'm sorry you had to be the one to make the call. Just from reading your posts, it absolutely is the right time. He is still happy and beautiful. But would he be in a week? A month? If his breathing is as bad as you say, and I believe you since I don't see you as someone who exaggerates, then it's the right time. He can go out without a horrendous amount of suffering and still enjoying life. He lived a long, happy life and had a great last summer. My thoughts are with you as you lay that beautiful soul to rest.
Thank you. That's what I was worried about. This all started with a small bump 1 month before he came here. I guessed from the progression that it would be 3 months & sadly I was right.

He's got a big lunch waiting full of tasty stuff sure to founder any other horse.
Tazzie, 6gun Kid, JCnGrace and 3 others like this.
natisha is offline  
post #3257 of 12612 Old 08-26-2016, 03:50 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Palmyra, Wisconsin
Posts: 6,161
• Horses: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Horse View Post
Or because you are afraid that he will have to deal with worse...there comes the time, and it really sounds like this is it. Sorry that you are having to deal with something that shouldn't be yours to do, but so glad that he has someone who is actually prepared to make a decision. ((Hugs)) this always sucks
Yes, that too. Thank you for your kind encouraging words.
natisha is offline  
post #3258 of 12612 Old 08-26-2016, 04:40 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 675
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by natisha View Post
The owner is my sister. She has had this horse off & on with me through the years. 8 years ago she moved an hour away & I told her if he ever needs to come back he could.

She called & said he had some kind of mass growing in his face & wanted him to come here to be pampered & graze. His boarding situation was less than ideal. She did not want to be here when he is PTS, I understand that.
I promised he would not suffer or become ugly.

I picked him up July 4th.The next day I had a vet out & x-rays confirmed some sort of mass. The pictures were sent to the University hospital & they suspected osteosarcoma (bone cancer) & suggested a bone biopsy which I declined because there is no treatment & why put him through that.

When he came he had little air through the left nostril & had a trickle of blood & was on antibiotics for a suspected secondary infection. He was also in the thin side.

In the short time he's been here he's gotten a bit chunky, happily grazing all day, special feed 4x a day, baths, groomed, feet fixed-he's happy. But the 'thing' has grown. There is no air movement from the left nostril, now limited from the right & the right sometimes bleeds which tells me it has crossed the septum. It has also grown up to where his left eye has much of the vision blocked.

The other day he scraped his nose on the stall wall because he didn't see it & he looked scared. There are other small things I noticed too.

My sister told the rest of the family that I was to decide 'when' but she never told me. She can't say the words. She won't or can't talk to me about it. I've tried. It became a family mess but finally resolved except my sister doesn't want to know until after the fact. Am I supposed to tell her when she shows up with a bag of carrots?

So I have been pampering him. The same day he hit his nose he was out in the pasture happily grazing until he saw me. He came running over & I could hear awful breathing & see bleeding from both nostrils. It was then I made arrangements.

Today he is still beautiful & happy. I can't wait until something terrible happens & it will, soon.

Everything is set to happen at 3 today. I can't stop crying because I feel I am killing him. I love that horse. I broke him out 25 years ago. Am I doing it too soon?

I got him some sweet feed as a last treat.

His name is Rocky (Barracazon). He's a 33 year old Arabian who has never had a heavy hand laid on him. He's still beautiful & I'm ending his life.
I feel terrible.
Like I said in my email, I am so sorry for everything you are having to deal with. You have such a giving heart. I have been lucky enough to be on the receiving end of that extraordinary kindness, as has my horse Boo. And so has Rocky.

Natisha gives absolutely excellent care to her horses (and those she takes in). This horse, who is now departing, surely had the most wonderful life a horse could have at her barn. I know the grief is going to be hard, but I hope you are comforted by the fact that you have done right by this horse, and that is because of you who are as a person and as a horse person.

I hope you are doing okay.
paintsrule is offline  
post #3259 of 12612 Old 08-26-2016, 04:50 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Palmyra, Wisconsin
Posts: 6,161
• Horses: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintsrule View Post
Like I said in my email, I am so sorry for everything you are having to deal with. You have such a giving heart. I have been lucky enough to be on the receiving end of that extraordinary kindness, as has my horse Boo. And so has Rocky.

Natisha gives absolutely excellent care to her horses (and those she takes in). This horse, who is now departing, surely had the most wonderful life a horse could have at her barn. I know the grief is going to be hard, but I hope you are comforted by the fact that you have done right by this horse, and that is because of you who are as a person and as a horse person.

I hope you are doing okay.
Thanks Jenny
natisha is offline  
post #3260 of 12612 Old 08-26-2016, 04:56 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Palmyra, Wisconsin
Posts: 6,161
• Horses: 4
Rocky is gone now. He was in a far pasture & ran up when I called him.
He was eating his treat & didn't even flinch when the vet administered the sedative. He fell asleep while eating. Shortly after he was gone.

The vet was a bit shocked at how fast that 'thing' had progressed & said I did the right thing.

Rocky will be buried next to my sister's other horse. It seems right.

My thanks to everyone for their support during this trying time.

And I'm making my Mom tell my sister!
natisha is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Forum Enthusiasts' Confession Box SueC Horse Talk 28 05-15-2014 10:18 PM
Brrrrr...it's that time of year. Time to bring out the scarves, hats, and gloves! Seattle Tack and Equipment Classifieds 3 11-24-2009 03:47 PM
Confession time:who has too much stuff! BrokenWings Horse Tack and Equipment 37 10-17-2009 11:46 PM
An Italian Boy's Confession AppyLover615 Jokes and Funnies 12 10-01-2009 03:11 PM
Confession of a married woman Spyder Jokes and Funnies 5 12-03-2008 07:13 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome