- We do celebrate on the 25th December, although it's not traditional. Christmas was banned in Scotland for around 400 years and very little changed until recently.
For 5000 years they celebrated a mix of the Winter Solstice, Yule and added in Christianity when it was introduced. It was the Reformation in 1560 that banned all festivals and holidays around that date. If people wanted to celebrate on the 25th, they had to do it in secret or they moved it to the New Year, our Hogmanay.
Christmas was a normal working day until 1958, when it finally became a public holiday but habits are hard to break. My parents were used to working right through or having a few members of the family drop by and that hasn't changed, even for me.
There's still a mix of everything today, with slightly more emphasis on Christmas than there was in the past. However there are a great deal more (non-Christian) events and traditions around the three days at Hogmanay. Everywhere has light festivals, street parties, torch parades, fire-balls and so on. It's amazing how much the past influences us today!
@blue eyed pony
- Body protectors are really expensive. I've often wondered why they're double or triple the price of helmets. I've gotten to an age where i don't bounce so I'm glad of the extra padding LOL
- What a wonderful surprise to find a desk full of presents! Beats paperwork any day! I've a Dyson as well. I used to have a Bosh, it was one of the most unreliable makes that i've ever had. Have a good holiday.
- Your right about the 'his-genitive' in the English language. I think it was short lived and died out a few hundred years ago. Fingers crossed for your cat, he sounds like a sweetheart it would be a shame if it shortened his life.
- Hi great to see you back again! It's good to know that Kyle is doing well. I had the same problem with my archery straw targets, except with mice. A lot smaller than horses LOL! They looked so cozy i (almost) felt sorry for 'removing' them.
After dropping a pan of soup all over the kitchen floor yesterday, i spent this morning finding and cleaning missed marks and splashes. I thought that I'd bring in my large Vax carpet cleaner so that i could clean the hard floor, then use it next week in the rooms with carpets, but it's dead. I forgot that it had packed up in the summer. I should've replaced it when it broke! I'm going to wait until next week and splash out on a new one.
I hope everyone's having a good weekend.