I scored a 23.
Well that was revealing.
I don't have a crazy extensive pre-ride ritual (my post-ride ritual is a little more involved, actually!).
1. Grab Jax, let him take a bite of hay if he hasn't eaten yet, then tie him up.
2. First trip into the barn: grab brushes, hoof pick, bands, conditioning/detangling spray.
3. With a soft and coarse brush in each hand, methodically brush him down.
4. Spray mane and tail with conditioner/detangler.
5. Brush mane, divide into four braids (his mane is massive and it's hot here in AZ!).
6. Pick feet, front R, front L, back L, back R.
7. Second trip into the barn: grab saddle/blanket, bridle, helmet.
8. Position saddle blanket, checking on each side. Do the same for saddle, each side. Then pull the blanket up under the pommel, each side.
9. Cinch up 1-2 notches at a time.
10. Check stirrups (make sure they're all the way in on the bars).
11. Helmet on me, then bridle on Jax.
And I'm ready to ride!
ETA... I agree about the "ritual" making for some bonding time. Even though I ride almost every day, I still notice that Jax is much more relaxed when we've done our ritual than when I've rushed him into the arena without our "greeting/bonding time." Listen to me sounding all hippy dippy.