Eeek (rant) - The Horse Forum
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 08-21-2010, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: California
Posts: 1,916
• Horses: 6
Eeek (rant)

So for a year I've had a horse that just hasn't been the right match for me...before him I would ride all the time and was very brave with horses, but with him I'm just extremely uncomfortable and have only ridden him very occasionally mostly just at a walk or a few strides of a slow trot. At first I thought it was something I'd get over, but when it only got worse I decided to sell him so that I could move on with my life.

I found the perfect match for him in a good friend of mine at my barn who had been secretly admiring him since I brought him home. She's been riding him for awhile and would really like to buy him, but can't quite get him yet. She is in the process of selling her house and moving somewhere with property to keep her horses on and she probably can't get him until that's all been sorted at the moment I'm sort of waiting around with this horse in limbo. I know I shouldn't complain because what is most important is that he gets the best home and care I can find for him, but I still feel frustrated with the situation because riding and my relationship with my own horse is just a huge part of me and I feel a bit trapped and almost like I have no horse at all. I just want to move on with my life!

So while I've been waiting to sell him I couldn't help but begin looking around at horses available for sale. I found a lot of great horses in my price range, but on April I came across a little mare that seemed to fit perfectly, everything I was looking for right there in that little ad. I've been following her ads and admiring her ever since then. Recently things with my friend seemed to be progressing a little bit more, working on getting a half-lease-to-buy thing in place and stuff like that. We figured that she will probably be able to buy him officially in one-to-three months, so I couldn't help but think maybe now I can start looking at some horses so I can get a feel for them and have enough time to visit a few times. Of course, this mare was the first I'd want to check out.

Well, yesterday we headed down to see her and I tend to be a sap, I was lovestruck, but this mare is even better than I expected. She fits pretty much everything I'm looking for. She has all the right skills and experience and the proper build (and the perfect size for me, 5'7, at a big-enough-but-very-comfortable-15hh) and any problems she has are things I can definitely handle/have handled before. She comes across very straightforward and what-you-see-is-what-you-get. She's a little bit fiery but also gentle and very independant but willing to listen. She's very intelligent and silly and we clicked pretty much instantly. She had no problem hauling my poor out-of-shape-and-practice bum around, either!
The only problem is that there's been someone else eyeing her too. The owner seems pretty unsure about them because they seem to keep going back and forth and who knows if they'll ever actually be able to get her. They're supposed to get back to her again any day now, but I don't know. Personally my mom and I got the impression that the owner really liked me with this mare and might prefer me to the other person, but maybe we're wrong. I'm just not sure if she would turn the other person down if she could buy her before I can. I'm normally definitely not one to snatch up a horse out from under someone else, but the owner was a genuinely kind person who seems to really love her horse and made quite a few comments on how well we worked together and seemed disappointed at the thought that I may not get her, definitely not just a greedy person trying to get rid of her ASAP either..just someone who genuinely needs to get her sold soon but wishes for the best home. I really hope I don't come across as evil, this other person has just been kind of flakey for awhile.

I'm just a bit frustrated because I guess, naively, I hadn't expected that there would be competition, after seeing her online for so long. I was hoping I'd probably have the time to visit her a few times throughout at least this next month, and then begin trying to work something out with the owner, but at the moment if I could I'd pick her up right away without hesitation because we got along so well. I'm trying to figure out if there's anything I can do. I don't yet have a job (I still live with my parents and they support my horses for now until I get one) and while I'm just about to start looking (this upcoming week the search begins) I can't help but worry that I might not get one in time and this dream horse will be gone...and my parents will probably help me once I have one because they'll know I can afford to support her and eventually pay them back for anything out of their pockets, but they're just concerned it might be awhile.

I know it's silly to care so much but it would be very difficult to find another horse in my price range with the same skills, experience, and good personality that this horse has, that I would feel so comfortable with right off the bat....especially for the price she's at. So we're trying to see if we can work something out with our friend or with the owner or something, but I don't know. After having so much confidence crushed by the situation with my current horse I just really want to move on and enjoy riding again...if I don't get back to that soon I might start needing "real" therapy! And I only say that half-jokingly!

Well this is a picture of me on her yesterday if you want to see what a nice pair we make (please no critiques, I've been out of actually riding for way too long, and that saddle and I weren't really agreeing with each other)

Anyway, if anyone's made it through this, virtual cookies for all!
rocky pony is offline  
post #2 of 8 Old 08-21-2010, 07:59 PM
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Idaho, USA
Posts: 650
• Horses: 7
She's a pretty girl! I hope it works out for you!
payette is offline  
post #3 of 8 Old 08-21-2010, 08:59 PM
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Ontario
Posts: 994
• Horses: 2
If you are sure that your horse will be sold within 3 months, explain the situation to the owner of this mare, and give her a deposit, say $100 to $300. (This is if you are Positive you want this horse). Maybe she will accept that and hold the horse for you. Keep in mind that if you back out, she keeps the money.
Skipsfirstspike is offline  
post #4 of 8 Old 08-21-2010, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: California
Posts: 1,916
• Horses: 6
Thanks very much payette! She really is a cutie, such an adorable little personality she has, too. She definitely keeps things interesting! lol
And what a joy to ride!

@Skipsfirstspike I'm really hoping we could do something like that..I've been discussing it with my parents quite a bit, we couldn't do anything yet when we were there because we hadn't spoken to my dad yet, but he's willing to work with me, we just don't have the money to do too much and if they put money down they want to be sure I can pay them back soon, I think..I guess all will be sorted out after talking to them more and seeing what they're open to.
But I'm just wondering if they'd be alot more comfortable just selling her to the other girl if she ends up being able to do it this time. I really don't know..I think my mom is going to try to talk to the owners and see how willing they are to negotiate much. I really hope so..
rocky pony is offline  
post #5 of 8 Old 08-21-2010, 10:18 PM
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 5,892
• Horses: 2
When I sold my last horse, his new owner was in the same position. What she did was offer to pay his board for one month and then come up with the cash. She had to sell her horse before she could buy mine. That was fine by me as I didn't need the cash that bad...I just essentially needed him off the payroll. At the end of the month she gave me half and paid my BO a half months board as she needed another week or two to get her mare sold.

If you have the cash to do sure will stall the other buyer. It worked out well for me. I did make her sign a contract that if she decided to back out of buying Nico she had to give me 2 weeks notice or another 1/2 month board to find him another buyer.
corinowalk is offline  
post #6 of 8 Old 08-22-2010, 11:25 AM
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,230
• Horses: 0
Oh how I feel your pain! I had a similar situation with Stiffler! I was afraid to go over a slow trot, etc. It was so hard NOT to watch CL and dreamhorse, etc. Thankfully I have an amazing BO (Indyhorse LOL) and she seen our issues and with her help, I picked up 2 girls at the auction this week who are PERFECT for me! I too have a friend who is a great match for Stiffler as she is an assertive rider which is what he needs. I'm hoping we will be able to work something out there :)

Good luck!

*Dreams are within reach, you just have to go that extra mile to catch them*
Amarea is offline  
post #7 of 8 Old 08-22-2010, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: California
Posts: 1,916
• Horses: 6
Thank you guys so much for the help and support! I'm really hoping this will work out. My mom emailed them last night to kind of let them know we're really interested and trying to see if we can figure anything out...gonna see if they have any suggestions and if not maybe try offering something like the deposit...
We're also going to talk to my friend a little bit more and see if she sees any way to help make this work, like maybe if she paid half of Kai's board we could offer to pay half of Apple's board until the sales could go through...something like that, if a deposit wouldn't just be enough...
It's just going to be awful if this opportunity slips. I'd hate to have to wait and take ages finding another horse as perfect as this one! I just want to ride already!! lol
rocky pony is offline  
post #8 of 8 Old 08-22-2010, 06:06 PM
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 564
• Horses: 0
I've been on both sides of that situation. Right now I have a gelding whose still not paid off yet, he was bought on contract and we pay a monthly payment. His old owners liked me and my mom and just really need to get rid of him. So we wrote up a contract and everyone signed it, and they still have his papers until he's paid off. I also had a mare for sale that I was holding for a friend until she sold hers. I found it annoying and kinda frustrating. Because she was riding and showing the horse and I was still paying for it. (I was also selling her to her underpriced) but either way it worked out in the end. Just ask her owners about writing a contract, making a deposit, ect. Try to work out a deal.
BarrelRacer86 is offline  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Never trained a horse before, now have 3. Eeek! trIplEcrOwngIrl Horse Training 2 10-18-2009 12:48 PM
Eeek! What is this yuckiness? Wallaby Horse Health 23 03-24-2009 11:26 PM
First competition! Eeek! RedHawk Horse Talk 2 03-16-2009 04:26 AM
eeek!! Percheron mare.. Advice needed! Sullivan17 Draft Horses 10 01-28-2009 09:20 PM
eeek puddles......... KANSAS_TWISTER Horse Training 5 04-17-2007 05:25 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome