Fly Predators? - The Horse Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 06-10-2015, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 19
• Horses: 2
Fly Predators?

The flies are absolutely horrendous this year! My two horses primarily stay on a 3 acre lot and I'd like some input on managing the flies. As well there are 13 cows on the other 37 acres.

I have been using pryhanna fly spray but it doesn't last nearly long enough. I apply it to them at 7 in the morning when I leave for work and when I get home at 6pm they're covered again. (They do wear fly masks during the day)

I have been doing some reading and stumbled upon the "Fly Predators." Anyone used them before and is it worth it? From reading I realize I should have started much earlier so it says you should double up your first application and then go to regular dosage every 4 weeks.

I know it won't get rid of the flies totally, but if I could deplete them at least 50% that would be great.

If you wouldn't recommend Fly Predators please let me know what you think would work better.
MyFairLady is offline  
post #2 of 9 Old 06-10-2015, 01:52 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Central Oregon, USA
Posts: 2,883
• Horses: 2
I LOVE our fly predators! They do a pretty darned good job. This is our second year using them and this year we have very few flies (last year we had quite a few but significantly less than the year before). We also use fly traps in strategic places to draw adult flies away from the house and the horses, and to intercept flies from the neighbors'.
They don't get all types of flies, though. For us, we still deal with the annoying no-see-um gnatty flies that give my horse hives :( But they get the stable flies and house flies really well.
karliejaye is offline  
post #3 of 9 Old 06-10-2015, 01:55 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Middle Tennessee
Posts: 8,204
• Horses: 0
I was just commenting on my local forum, about how bad the flies are.

We never have much of a fly problem but I am getting bit by house flies, already! That never happens until Fall, when they know they're about to die off.

Deer flies are early and there's a lot of them. Fly spray doesn't help once the horse starts to sweat --- you know nasty run down the sides sweat --- with all the humidity

As I type this at noon, we sit at 84 F with a heat index of 88F; humidity is 62% and the dewpoint (which is the killer) is 69.8% Blech, a thousand times blech

I have never used Fly Predators because we use weed killer around the fences and the workshop, which is 30 feet from the horse barn.

I have read any kind of "killer" stuff will kill the Fly Predators.

My best suggestion is to keep your horses off sweet feed if they're on it, as it permeates thru their sweat and only makes the fly situation worse.

Keep them showered down at night, if you possibly can. I shower my horses every morning or night but I don't shampoo them. I just knock the sweat off them with cold water and a wash cloth.

Keep the weeds cut down on the fence lines and around the barn, as much as you can.

Lastly, hope Fall gets here quick

A Good Horseman Doesn't Have To Tell Anyone; The Horse Already Knows.

I CAN'T ride 'em n slide 'em. I HAVE to lead 'em n feed 'em Thnx cowchick77.
walkinthewalk is online now  
post #4 of 9 Old 06-10-2015, 01:56 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Orange County, NC
Posts: 6,303
• Horses: 5
^^^ This is the key...how well they work is very dependent on the type of flies that are a probblem.
Posted via Mobile Device
PaintHorseMares is offline  
post #5 of 9 Old 06-10-2015, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 19
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by karliejaye View Post
I LOVE our fly predators! They do a pretty darned good job. This is our second year using them and this year we have very few flies (last year we had quite a few but significantly less than the year before). We also use fly traps in strategic places to draw adult flies away from the house and the horses, and to intercept flies from the neighbors'.
They don't get all types of flies, though. For us, we still deal with the annoying no-see-um gnatty flies that give my horse hives :( But they get the stable flies and house flies really well.
Thank you for your input! Primarily I am noticing house flies and gnats here and there but the flies are the most bothersome.
MyFairLady is offline  
post #6 of 9 Old 06-10-2015, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 19
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinthewalk View Post
I was just commenting on my local forum, about how bad the flies are.

We never have much of a fly problem but I am getting bit by house flies, already! That never happens until Fall, when they know they're about to die off.

Deer flies are early and there's a lot of them. Fly spray doesn't help once the horse starts to sweat --- you know nasty run down the sides sweat --- with all the humidity

As I type this at noon, we sit at 84 F with a heat index of 88F; humidity is 62% and the dewpoint (which is the killer) is 69.8% Blech, a thousand times blech

I have never used Fly Predators because we use weed killer around the fences and the workshop, which is 30 feet from the horse barn.

I have read any kind of "killer" stuff will kill the Fly Predators.

My best suggestion is to keep your horses off sweet feed if they're on it, as it permeates thru their sweat and only makes the fly situation worse.

Keep them showered down at night, if you possibly can. I shower my horses every morning or night but I don't shampoo them. I just knock the sweat off them with cold water and a wash cloth.

Keep the weeds cut down on the fence lines and around the barn, as much as you can.

Lastly, hope Fall gets here quick
I have to say, I did not anticipate the flies being so bad. My husband kills weeds around their fence line so likely they wouldn't survive. And he is non-horsey so he already thinks I'm crazy for worrying about the flies.

Neither of mine eat sweet feed so that is not a worry. I could most definitely wet them down in the evening but mornings might be an issue for me as I'm out the door with my two year old and I can't imagine her being patient enough while I did that as it's much quicker to spray them down with spray - however not very effective. I may just have to find something to keep her occupied.

As much as I've longed for summer, yes I am totally there with you anticipating fall!
MyFairLady is offline  
post #7 of 9 Old 06-10-2015, 03:33 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Central Oregon, USA
Posts: 2,883
• Horses: 2
Weed killers do not affect the fly predators (a few do, but they are not the typical store bought ones) glyphosate, 2,4-d, aminopyralids are all safe fro fly predators and other bugs, dicambia can effect bees, so it MAY have an effect on fly predators, but that is speculation. Insecticides do kill them, though, including feed-through fly control stuff.
karliejaye is offline  
post #8 of 9 Old 06-10-2015, 05:45 PM
Foal
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 126
• Horses: 0
I have cattle, chickens, pigs, and horses which produce a lot of manure and fly habitat. Feed through insecticides and fly predators would be prohibitively expensive for such a large number of animals. I am on my third year of feeding Jeffers Get Away which is a generic version of Bug Check. It's garlic and other things that are supposed to make the horse taste bad to biting flies. I really think it helps and I rarely find ticks on them.
Posted via Mobile Device
david in md is offline  
post #9 of 9 Old 06-11-2015, 10:55 AM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 19
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by david in md View Post
I have cattle, chickens, pigs, and horses which produce a lot of manure and fly habitat. Feed through insecticides and fly predators would be prohibitively expensive for such a large number of animals. I am on my third year of feeding Jeffers Get Away which is a generic version of Bug Check. It's garlic and other things that are supposed to make the horse taste bad to biting flies. I really think it helps and I rarely find ticks on them.
Posted via Mobile Device
Thank you David, I will look into that as an option.
MyFairLady is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
fly predators raisinandelana Barn Maintenance 25 09-20-2011 12:36 AM
Spalding Fly Predators SorrelHorse Horse Health 13 06-25-2010 05:09 PM
Question about Fly Predators. riccil0ve Horse Health 13 04-15-2010 03:52 PM
Fly predators? Brianna6432 Horse Talk 3 03-22-2010 11:05 AM
Fly Predators / Fly Eliminators? CJ82Sky Horse Health 13 04-13-2009 06:16 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome