How do casual horse people find a new horse? - The Horse Forum
 16Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 09-23-2020, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 61
• Horses: 0
How do casual horse people find a new horse?

In general how do people go about finding a horse?

All of my previous horses have simply come into my life. I figured out what work made them happy and we learned that discipline.
Now my daughters are riding but they’re younger and need something already started and mostly ready to hit some local fun shows.

I’ve been keeping an ear out amongst friends. I don’t have a ‘buy it from a training barn budget’ at this point.

I’m not in a big rush but I don’t have high hopes that “the one” will simply show up again in my life.

Ideally I would like to find a family who has outgrown or doesn’t have time for a former 4-H horse.

A handful of people have been recommending a livestock auction with some nice looking horses moving through each month.

I’ve never even attended an auction!
I understand the concept but that’s it.

Any ideas where to begin my search?
JoBlueQuarter likes this.
farrieremily is offline  
post #2 of 16 Old 09-23-2020, 04:48 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Western Massachusetts
Posts: 6,626
• Horses: 3
The Book of Faces will have at least one local-ish horsey group. Although it is against policy to post animals for sale, people skirt the algorithm in various ways. "In search of's" get a lot of interest, and you can then go Private Message and speak openly.

Where I live there are several "sales" barns that a lot of general-purpose horses go through. These are four-figure horses. Ask around about what their reputations are. Other places include local riding clubs-- just put the word out.
JoBlueQuarter likes this.

Short horse lover
Avna is offline  
post #3 of 16 Old 09-23-2020, 05:47 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Cariboo, British Columbia
Posts: 14,150
• Horses: 3
Most of the people I know go through trainers or for an started prospect, breeders.

I am not here to promote anythingNo, that's not true, I am here to promote everything equestrian and everyone enjoying horses!
waresbear is offline  
post #4 of 16 Old 09-23-2020, 06:21 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: CenTex
Posts: 3,135
• Horses: 1
I'm a casual horse person. I wasn't even looking when I got mine, but ... I got my first two at a trail riding place. Moonshine was a BTDT ex-ranch horse for my daughter, and I foolishly*** took a green "hunter prospect" Pony. The nice thing about getting them there was that we had at least half a dozen rides on them before we decided to buy them. My third horse was given to me by my barn owner.

There are places where people list horses for sale, you can google "Horses for sale near ____" and find some. If you are a kind horse owner (and it sounds like you are) and people know it, you can put the word out that you are looking. Are you, as your name suggests, a farrier? If so, you should have quite the network. Also Craigslist, although I've found that looking at horse ads there is pretty depressing.

I've also heard that people sometimes put ads up at feed stores.


*** I say "foolishly" because, you know, green horse / green rider, and I didn't know any better. But he's turned into a super Pony.

"Saddle fit -- it's a no brainer!"" - random person
ACinATX is offline  
post #5 of 16 Old 09-23-2020, 06:36 PM
Foal
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Lancaster, CA
Posts: 47
• Horses: 1
I found both of mine on Facebook. I did look at several other horses and had my trainer check them out before buying them. I also had PPE done for each horse. Another place to look is at any horse rescue's in your area. They frequently have something appropriate.
karens1039 is offline  
post #6 of 16 Old 09-23-2020, 06:48 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Western Massachusetts
Posts: 6,626
• Horses: 3
It also highly depends on what level of horse you are hoping for. A kid's starter horse? Try a summer camp -- they often have kid-broke horses for sale in the fall that they don't care to feed through the winter.
karens1039 likes this.

Short horse lover
Avna is offline  
post #7 of 16 Old 09-23-2020, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 61
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACinATX View Post
I'm a casual horse person. I wasn't even looking when I got mine, but ... I got my first two at a trail riding place. Moonshine was a BTDT ex-ranch horse for my daughter, and I foolishly*** took a green "hunter prospect" Pony. The nice thing about getting them there was that we had at least half a dozen rides on them before we decided to buy them. My third horse was given to me by my barn owner.

There are places where people list horses for sale, you can google "Horses for sale near ____" and find some. If you are a kind horse owner (and it sounds like you are) and people know it, you can put the word out that you are looking. Are you, as your name suggests, a farrier? If so, you should have quite the network. Also Craigslist, although I've found that looking at horse ads there is pretty depressing.

I've also heard that people sometimes put ads up at feed stores.


*** I say "foolishly" because, you know, green horse / green rider, and I didn't know any better. But he's turned into a super Pony.

I am semi retired from farrier work at this point.
I kept my favorite horses and clients but they are mostly older (horses and people) and out of their show days.

I did get one from a client for my older girl a few years back.

We took in a rescue this spring but due to her heart murmur we won’t be putting her back into riding.


I’ll keep an eye on Facebook too I guess.
I know I should just be patient but now that we’re ready to look I’m excited to start
farrieremily is offline  
post #8 of 16 Old 09-23-2020, 10:24 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: OK
Posts: 14,083
• Horses: 9
One thing to keep in mind is to have a reasonable budget. A BTDT safe, beginner/kid's horse with good training on them is not going to go for $500. I see ISO ads everyday where someone is looking for a beginner/kid safe mount, show record preferred, between 10 & 12 years old, some color and patterns, not more than $500. I have a couple of horses that would fill the bill for safe, sound, sane and good basics, one has been through a police horse desensitization program. Both are good mothers and easy to get in foal (if a person is looking for that) and I ride both on a regular basis. I would THINK of selling them between $3500 (that one has a scar on her leg, cosmetic only) and $5000 for the other, but ONLY if I liked the person who was interested and decided they'd give an excellent home. One is Shining Spark bred and the other is cutting bred (Listolena is her sire) but too lazy to chase a cow. They're both excellent horses but I wouldn't even consider selling them for $1000 or less.

So you need to have a clear pic of what you want, how much you can spend, be sure to have a PPE done whatever you choose. Just heard another horror story, gal bought a reiner mare, in foal, for $5500, gorgeous animal. Asked how she rode and she didn't have the owner ride her (and owner didn't offer, BIG red flag) and she didn't try her out before buying and no PPE. Got her home to ride and she got tossed, drilled into the dirt more like, got up and got on again and got drilled again and ended up in the hospital with a TBI/concussion. Obviously, they saw her coming. Owner or trainer absolutely HAS to ride the horse before you get on it. If they won't or say they can't, then they should have a sub to ride for them.

Dreamcatcher Arabians is offline  
post #9 of 16 Old 09-23-2020, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 61
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamcatcher Arabians View Post
One thing to keep in mind is to have a reasonable budget. A BTDT safe, beginner/kid's horse with good training on them is not going to go for $500. I see ISO ads everyday where someone is looking for a beginner/kid safe mount, show record preferred, between 10 & 12 years old, some color and patterns, not more than $500. I have a couple of horses that would fill the bill for safe, sound, sane and good basics, one has been through a police horse desensitization program. Both are good mothers and easy to get in foal (if a person is looking for that) and I ride both on a regular basis. I would THINK of selling them between $3500 (that one has a scar on her leg, cosmetic only) and $5000 for the other, but ONLY if I liked the person who was interested and decided they'd give an excellent home. One is Shining Spark bred and the other is cutting bred (Listolena is her sire) but too lazy to chase a cow. They're both excellent horses but I wouldn't even consider selling them for $1000 or less.

So you need to have a clear pic of what you want, how much you can spend, be sure to have a PPE done whatever you choose. Just heard another horror story, gal bought a reiner mare, in foal, for $5500, gorgeous animal. Asked how she rode and she didn't have the owner ride her (and owner didn't offer, BIG red flag) and she didn't try her out before buying and no PPE. Got her home to ride and she got tossed, drilled into the dirt more like, got up and got on again and got drilled again and ended up in the hospital with a TBI/concussion. Obviously, they saw her coming. Owner or trainer absolutely HAS to ride the horse before you get on it. If they won't or say they can't, then they should have a sub to ride for them.
I see those ISOs as well. I’m not sure what people are thinking.
I have 2,500 set aside. I could probably do more in a few months (or borrow a bit) but it would be for a show ready, younger horse like you described.

I’m good with a ‘needs some tuning’ trail horse who is sane and older.


Even seeing the owner/trainer hop on and ride at home doesn’t cover much.
Lots of horses are good in their own arena.

I’ve seen a ton of “in foal, has been ridden” ads that I won’t even consider.
knightrider and JoBlueQuarter like this.
farrieremily is offline  
post #10 of 16 Old 09-23-2020, 10:54 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: OK
Posts: 14,083
• Horses: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by farrieremily View Post
I see those ISOs as well. I’m not sure what people are thinking.
I have 2,500 set aside. I could probably do more in a few months (or borrow a bit) but it would be for a show ready, younger horse like you described.

I’m good with a ‘needs some tuning’ trail horse who is sane and older.


Even seeing the owner/trainer hop on and ride at home doesn’t cover much.
Lots of horses are good in their own arena.

I’ve seen a ton of “in foal, has been ridden” ads that I won’t even consider.
I agree with you. My point about the riding was that if the owner or their designated person, won't get on the horse, there is something wrong. And, let's face it, a good reiner is NEVER $5500. That alone made my eyebrows go sky high.
knightrider and JoBlueQuarter like this.

Dreamcatcher Arabians is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome