How hard is it to crack it as an equine photographer? - Page 4 - The Horse Forum
 470Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 345 Old 06-27-2017, 01:08 PM
Started
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Alberta, Canada, North America, The World!
Posts: 1,977
• Horses: 5
They are wild horses? That is so cool! You can kinda tell!
Hoofpic likes this.

Hold on to what makes you happy! If it tries to buck you off, just hold on even tighter!
JoBlueQuarter is online now  
post #32 of 345 Old 06-27-2017, 03:01 PM Thread Starter
Trained
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 5,044
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxhunter View Post
Ok, I never realised they were wild horses, big difference to taking ng shots of captive animals.

Sorry
No problem, glad you know now that shooting wildies is a lot more restricting than shooting captive horses.
Hoofpic is offline  
post #33 of 345 Old 06-27-2017, 03:35 PM
Foal
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Slovenia
Posts: 77
• Horses: 0
This is what I would do with the pics before posting/selling/giving.
I spent less than 2 min on each photo on a samsung S5 mini with no special program-just the stuff the phone already has on it.
Maistjarna is offline  
post #34 of 345 Old 06-27-2017, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
Trained
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 5,044
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maistjarna View Post
This is what I would do with the pics before posting/selling/giving.
I spent less than 2 min on each photo on a samsung S5 mini with no special program-just the stuff the phone already has on it.
What? I don't get it, what exactly did you do?
Hoofpic is offline  
post #35 of 345 Old 06-27-2017, 04:30 PM
Foal
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Slovenia
Posts: 77
• Horses: 0
Compare this picture:

To this one:



This one

To this one:


The 2. Pics are the ones I edited.
phantomhorse13 and Cherrij like this.
Maistjarna is offline  
post #36 of 345 Old 06-27-2017, 04:33 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 719
• Horses: 0
I agree that you should take a look at something like Adobe Lightroom to edit your pictures. That could help enhance the colors/brightness etc, and make great shots even better. Especially since you remarked how hard it is to get good shots when you cant control the subject or the environment!

Great pictures though I would probably straighten the horizon on some of them (on a couple it is a cool effect, on others it is a bit distracting) but that's up to personal taste/style. I'm just starting with photography myself so I'm not an expert or anything xD
Hoofpic and Maistjarna like this.
Luce73 is offline  
post #37 of 345 Old 06-27-2017, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
Trained
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 5,044
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luce73 View Post
I agree that you should take a look at something like Adobe Lightroom to edit your pictures. That could help enhance the colors/brightness etc, and make great shots even better. Especially since you remarked how hard it is to get good shots when you cant control the subject or the environment!

Great pictures though I would probably straighten the horizon on some of them (on a couple it is a cool effect, on others it is a bit distracting) but that's up to personal taste/style. I'm just starting with photography myself so I'm not an expert or anything xD
Thanks.

I do use lightroom, that's what I use for all my photos.

The horizon is meant to be angled in the shots that are to give it perspective and dynamic. I like flat horizon shots but the picture itself and what's in frame has to call for it.
Hoofpic is offline  
post #38 of 345 Old 06-27-2017, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
Trained
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 5,044
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maistjarna View Post
The 2. Pics are the ones I edited.
Thanks, I see it now, but you have to remember that I was trying to take advantage of the natural lighting as much possible in those pics. I got really lucky when I hit those shots of the family of 4 because the sun was just perfect.

Trust me, I always try to put as much colour and pop into my images as possible but there are limits. I don't think the ones with the bay roan look better with more colour (blacks started to get crushed), but the family of 4 do so thank you for mentioning it.
Maistjarna and JoBlueQuarter like this.
Hoofpic is offline  
post #39 of 345 Old 06-28-2017, 12:20 AM
Started
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,020
• Horses: 0
I know several equine photographers in our area. Most got their start just doing what you are now. To make some income in it you have to be able to photograph horses & their people....those are one that are going to buy your photos!! If you can capture them at their best. Hang out at some horse shows,concentrate on getting some good shots & share them in that horsie circle. Once people see your stuff you may try a photo session with someone,those get shared with friends & that's how people get to know your work & you get work... Know a girl that in high school was just doing random horse shows & photo shoots for friends , her work is good & now she is hired to be show photographer for several events
Maistjarna likes this.

There are Horse Crazy People,then there is Crazy People with horses...Know the Difference !!
paintedpastures is offline  
post #40 of 345 Old 06-28-2017, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
Trained
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 5,044
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintedpastures View Post
I know several equine photographers in our area. Most got their start just doing what you are now. To make some income in it you have to be able to photograph horses & their people....those are one that are going to buy your photos!! If you can capture them at their best. Hang out at some horse shows,concentrate on getting some good shots & share them in that horsie circle. Once people see your stuff you may try a photo session with someone,those get shared with friends & that's how people get to know your work & you get work... Know a girl that in high school was just doing random horse shows & photo shoots for friends , her work is good & now she is hired to be show photographer for several events
Yes that is true, I have to be able to shoot horses with their owner/rider and I am fully capable in doing that.

I actually took a photo of one of my friends at the barn about a month ago and it's really good, she loved it. If I can get her permission, it's most definitely portfolio worthy.
Maistjarna likes this.
Hoofpic is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Seeking - Equine photographer mentor/guide Overread Horse Pictures 7 04-20-2016 02:02 PM
Equine Photographer Needing work in West Midlands FMitchell Horse Pictures 0 03-02-2014 01:28 PM
Equine photographer looking for horsey models))) SF Bay Area, CA Tamara Didenko Horse Pictures 6 05-25-2012 02:17 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome