I feel like Stacy Westfall in comparison to ..... - Page 2 - The Horse Forum
 38Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 20 Old 06-28-2013, 01:22 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 47,711
• Horses: 2
the thing is , Beau, when you post thread that is mainly about describing how ridiculous someone else's actions are, then it really has no where to go but bad. I mean, what is your point?

I can understand how pleasing it is to be able to help someone. Maybe if you'd left it at that people would not see this as a thread mainly for making fun of someone else's ignorance.
tinyliny is online now  
post #12 of 20 Old 06-28-2013, 02:23 PM
Started
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Washington
Posts: 1,512
• Horses: 0
I ride in shorts and fatbabys, sometimes.
I don't know how to fix a fence. I once made an impromptu bailing twine fence when my goat pulled one of ours down, because I didn't have the skill set to fix it (it was only for an hour or two, until a manly man could come help me).
I don't even know how to start a riding lawn mower.
I guess I'm horse ignorant.
Posted via Mobile Device
GamingGrrl is offline  
post #13 of 20 Old 06-28-2013, 02:24 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 25,647
• Horses: 7
I always wonder why it's ok for one person to place a well written rant and not another...


My husband and my son do most of the grunt work around my place. I am out there helping with the fencework and the grounds, but they do a ton of it. I can't do it by myself.... I do almost ALL of the inside house chores and do all the animal care chores so I think it works out in the end.

I have a few friends that are uneducated riders and I can see the rant. They are good people and they love their horses but the bought first and did the learn as you go deal... It's defnitely a sloppy way to go......

Sounds like you are in a good place surrounded by friendly people though... I hope you have found a happy home...

"Be a best friend, tell the truth, and overuse I love you
Go to work, do your best, don't outsmart your common sense
Never let your prayin knees get lazy
And love like crazy"
farmpony84 is offline  
post #14 of 20 Old 06-28-2013, 02:55 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Western Kentucky
Posts: 542
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmpony84 View Post
<snip> i always wonder why it's ok for one person to place a well written rant and not another...
<snip>
thank you!!

Live well, laugh often, love deeply...An' it harm none.
FaydesMom is offline  
post #15 of 20 Old 06-28-2013, 03:29 PM
Started
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Omaha Nebraska ish
Posts: 2,397
• Horses: 3
I Pretty much stopped posting threads that were venting here because some people seem to think "they Know it all" and will what I call Bash a member for venting.

Sorry Beau Sounds like you are making the best out of this and hey you may even teach the fellow boarders a thing or 3 ;)

Don't Flatter yourself Cowboy I was looking at your Horse
LORI
Critter sitter is offline  
post #16 of 20 Old 06-28-2013, 03:41 PM
Started
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: British Columbia
Posts: 2,473
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Critter sitter View Post
I Pretty much stopped posting threads that were venting here because some people seem to think "they Know it all" and will what I call Bash a member for venting.

Sorry Beau Sounds like you are making the best out of this and hey you may even teach the fellow boarders a thing or 3 ;)
You've just got to ignore those people and rant until you feel a bit better I always say that so long as you're not drawing attention to specific people or sharing intimate details then go for it. It's better than saying something nasty to their face later on.
beau159 likes this.
alexischristina is offline  
post #17 of 20 Old 06-28-2013, 03:49 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 469
• Horses: 1
I understand your situation completely! People who board at the barn I go to are greener than their horses and they refuse any advice. its only a matter of time till one of them gets killed or their horse :(
Posted via Mobile Device
LouieThePalomino is offline  
post #18 of 20 Old 06-28-2013, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
Trained
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 7,391
• Horses: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GamingGrrl View Post
I ride in shorts and fatbabys, sometimes.
I don't know how to fix a fence. I once made an impromptu bailing twine fence when my goat pulled one of ours down, because I didn't have the skill set to fix it (it was only for an hour or two, until a manly man could come help me).
I don't even know how to start a riding lawn mower.
I guess I'm horse ignorant.
Posted via Mobile Device
I brought up the point of the Fatbabys (and the tennis shoes) because they are not safe to ride in. The real Fatbabys don't actually have a heel on the bottom of the boot, so it will not prevent your foot from sliding through the stirrup in a wreck. Obviously it is a free world and you can chose to ride in tennis shoes or no-heel Fatbabys if you so please. But I think most everyone on here would generally agree that tennis shoes are not safe to ride in, because they don't have a heel.

Ignorant? I didn't call anyone ignorant. They are anything but, because when they do ask questions they are genuinely interested and want to learn more.

For example: I will always either cold hose or ice my horse Red's back left leg because it still is just a teeny bit swollen (this is the leg that had a nasty injury back in January from smooth wire and a "perfect" environment; goes to show accidents still happen even when the horse's environment is immaculate). He's been lameness checked and sound to ride, but I still like to cold hold or ice that leg after I ride him. It seems to help with a mild swelling. So when we got done riding last night, I had Red's ice boot on that leg while I was untacking him, brushing him, etc like I normally do after a ride. "Bob" came over and asked me what that was for. So I explained it to him. As I said, really nice guy and I wouldn't label him or any of the others ignorant at all. You just don't know what you don't know. I would consider an ignorant horse person to be someone who knows there is a better way to do something and a better way to treat/train a horse, but chooses not to learn about it and continue using worse ways on purpose. For example, maybe someone who knows their saddle does not fit their horse, knows it is hurting them, but doesn't want to take the time to learn about proper saddle fit and doesn't want to actually get a better fitting saddle. That would be my definition of ignorant. If Bob was ignorant, he wouldn't have asked me what my ice boot was for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyliny View Post
the thing is , Beau, when you post thread that is mainly about describing how ridiculous someone else's actions are, then it really has no where to go but bad. I mean, what is your point?

I can understand how pleasing it is to be able to help someone. Maybe if you'd left it at that people would not see this as a thread mainly for making fun of someone else's ignorance.
No, I didn't have a point. But then am I not allowed to come on here and express what's on my mind? That doesn't seem fair since everyone else does. Yes, I know, people can get the wrong impression on an internet forum (words lose some of their meaning without facial expression and hand gestures), but I'm a big girl. I'm not going to run home and cry if someone takes my post the wrong way.

Where was I "making fun" of people? I was just telling some of the events that have happened since I have been there. Some of them unsafe, like riding in tennis shoes, but mostly just stuff that I maybe did at one point of my life, but have now learned some of the better ways to do things. A good example is the Tom Thumb. There was a time in my life when I had no idea what a poorly designed bit it was. Now I know. They don't. Although I tried to explain it to them and educate them on it.

Maybe if I had called them "idiots" and "stupid people" and "shouldn't have horses because they don't know how to take care of them" and "I can't believe they don't know these basic things", then yes, by all means I would have been making fun of them. But I can't share a story about things that did happen? Again, you don't know what you don't know. Just like I don't know what I don't know. If Stacy Westfall would ever see my riding, I'm sure she'd cringe at the things I don't know, just like I'm cringing at the other boarders. But I do know a few things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmpony84 View Post
Sounds like you are in a good place surrounded by friendly people though... I hope you have found a happy home...
Yes, I very much like it there. I was a little worried with the move because I had the best place ever before this one. I only moved because of drive time. That's the only reason. But I do really like this new place. And I love it even more that it takes me 2 minutes to get to my horses. Yup, that's two minutes.
Critter sitter likes this.

∞•*˚ Βгįťţαňγ ˚*•∞
It is not enough to know how to ride; one must know how to fall.
beau159 is offline  
post #19 of 20 Old 06-28-2013, 05:15 PM
Started
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,895
• Horses: 0
Geeze all she was doing is venting.. everybody needs those days.

Beau I hope you can help them out more in the future
beau159 and Critter sitter like this.
Casey02 is offline  
post #20 of 20 Old 06-28-2013, 05:56 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Ashland, OR
Posts: 8,466
• Horses: 1
I feel for you. Sincerely.

I have seen a LOT of stupid people, more than I care to admit...And I am SO glad they are least asking you things and taking your advice for it. I'm sure you'll be a great influence on the place!
beau159 and Critter sitter like this.

Pssh.I didn't pick up the wrong lead
It's called a counter canter...
...A very advanced maneuver.
SorrelHorse is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Stacy Westfall KylieHuitema Horse Trainers 50 03-17-2013 09:32 AM
Stacy Westfall/Others? HorsesAreForever Horse Training 11 03-15-2010 01:22 PM
Stacy Westfall!!! PechosGoldenChance Horse Stories and Poems 2 10-08-2009 12:12 PM
Stacy Westfall...... Got2Gallop Horse Training 10 09-25-2009 11:50 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome